Thoughts on a switch to hybrid.

So I’ve paid off the settlement figure on my Octavia (2017 Mk3 FL vRS TDI DSG) as I’d planned to hang on to it a bit longer and if I’m being honest, have become quite attached to it!

I took out a loan as the APR was much lower than refinancing with Skoda and we were having a bit of work done on the house to boot.

I’ve had it roughly 3 years, bought second hand with 9k miles on the clock. I’m now at 40k miles and have recently changed jobs meaning I’ll be doing less than 10k miles a year.

I’ve been debating going back to a hot hatch but a part of me wants to be more environmentally friendly. I also like to have the security of a decent warranty. Whilst Hyundai offer a 5 year warranty, Toyota offer 10 (if serviced at a main dealer).

I have no reason to change car other than the fact it’d be more environmentally friendly and I’d have the security of the warranty.

For the most part it’s just me driving around in the Octavia and for how often we fill it for a family holiday/trip to see the in laws I could justify a roof box on a smaller car.

I can’t see PCP payments on a new car being too dissimilar to my monthly loan repayments over a similar period. Granted I won’t own the car at the end of the term. I should be able to pay the loan off early which would free up some monthly finances that would otherwise be going towards the PCP on a new car.

I’m interested in the Toyota Corolla 2.0 Hybrid in GR Sport trim (not to be confused with the GR model we won’t be getting in Blighty). It’s getting a power upgrade (to 198hp) and facelift for 2023 whilst at the same time being more environmentally friendly and economical than the previous model.

I know people have been impressed with the mpg they have been getting from Toyota Hybrids however I think the trim quality leaves a lot to be desired having seen rusting seat rails and trim becoming detached on a Yaris less than a year old! Just as well there’s that 10 year warranty eh.

I love my Octavia, it’s not put a foot wrong. The alternative is to stick with it, potentially remap it, keep my fingers crossed I don’t get any gremlins and live with the fact it’s probably not the most green car out there.

Curious to gauge peoples thoughts on this as I’m very torn.

?

Have you driven one yet?

http://mag.toyota.co.uk/2023-toyota-corolla-revealed-with-latest-hybrid-electric-tech

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/06/20220602-corolla.html

There was a member that posted in the past week that they had got one.  Not sure where that was.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/504027-thinking-of-buying-octavia-mk4-engine-recommendations

Edited by roottoot

10 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Thanks for the links. No mention of the GR Sport trim though.

I have read some of the early reviews of the 2023 model.

I’m going to test drive the current 2.0 Corolla in the next couple of weeks and get a feel for the size and see what the trim is like although I wouldn’t put pen to paper on anything until I’d seen the ‘23 car in the flesh and driven it.

8 minutes ago, roottoot said:

This will be US gallons!

Not quick. 

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 18.50.12.png

This would be the Corolla Cross, not GR Sport trim. Most likely the same engine but the Cross will be bigger and heavier. I believe the Yaris Cross is about 120kg heavier than the Yaris.

6 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Are Toyota not going to have the same battery shortage issues as all the other manufacturers, so issues with long delivery times if they can deliver?

Good question and one I’ll be pressing the dealership over. I’m also in no rush to part with the Octavia, if at all.

Which is greener though? (Meaning full life carbon footprint of the vehicle inc’ production and all its hybridery parts).

Continuing with the slightly less environmentally friendly Skoda that you already have and enjoy or the brand new Toyota which is built yet?

Edited by Gmac983

Also, unless something went drastically wrong, would the cost of diesel/maintenance over the same period be offset with a newer, hybrid petrol car?

With my reduced mileage am I likely to incur DPF issues sooner? The car isn’t used much during the week and when it is my trips tend to be in excess of 80 miles.

Edited by CookieMonster87

Skoda Main Dealer Servicing is not much done for too much money, but then no need to use a Main Dealers.

Check the Servicing costs with Toyota Main Dealers and Service Plans on offer and see what the difference will be for annual Servicing & Maintenance.

http://toyota.co.uk/hybrid/hybrid-ownership

Also make sure that your local or chosen Toyota Dealership is not for the chop.  

Edited by roottoot

45 minutes ago, CookieMonster87 said:

The car isn’t used much during the week and when it is my trips tend to be in excess of 80 miles

At which point a PHEV ceases to be as economical as a plain diesel vehicle with the same engine and tyres.

6 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

At which point a PHEV ceases to be as economical as a plain diesel vehicle with the same engine and tyres.

There is a general consensus that unless you do in excess of 15k miles a year then a diesel isn’t for you. I’m doing less than 10k miles but the journeys I am doing are in excess of 80 miles usually.

The Corolla isn’t a Plug In Hybrid, not sure if that changes things.

I have a PHEV and do longer trips in it, ie 200+ without stopping. With a full charge and sticking to limits on the motorway 50+mpg is easily achievable. The key to the best economy seems to be to make sure you use the Sat Nav as I've noticed without this, the car tends to chew thought the battery pretty quickly until you get up to motorway speed, at which point the petrol engine kicks in as long as you are going at a reasonable speed (say above 50mph or so). I recently did a trip to London and the car retained some charge, seemingly for the built-up bit once I got to the 'Smoke'.

With my car you can also do something similar by tapping on a virtual button to request a preset amount of battery to be left unused (6miles, 12 miles or maximum mileage possible) this has a similar effect to the Sat Nav and you also have the option to charge the traction battery as you drive - BUT the fuel consumption is horrendous if the car is being driven and charging at the same time. I estimate the car charges from empty to full in around a third the time it takes to do so on a 16amp supply, say, roughly using 12kW/hr (possibly a bit more, as there will be some sort of inverter loss I guess?) which is very roughly translated into using about 16hp. That's quite a lot of juice required. But I tried it on a return trip from London as I knew I would be stuck in the Heathrow traffic Jam on the M25 and could switch to EV mode whilst crawling along. It seemed to work out quite well, so much so the 6 hour return trip (it took 3 1/2 hours a few days earlier) still averaged around 45 mpg and this included more traffic jams later on and a bit of 'rather high speed running'. 

• Like 1

Btw the car is a Peugeot 3008 hybrid 4 and is on a 4 year PCP. Robins and Day did a deal that discounted the car and finance by a total of around £17,000 off list, which made the PCP quite attractive :)