Front knocking noise from LHS (we think)

covkerr

We have a 1.6 SEL DSG 19 plate with 12k on the clock bought about a month ago.

Wife really likes the car except for the most annoying noise coming from we think the front LHS its not there all the time but when it is its a knocking noise

Had car into local garage(none Skoda) to check suspension, bushes, ball joints and front drives, they say everything is good underneath.

I have read on other forums the same problem but none with any real answers.     

• Like 2

I have a very similar issue and it sounds like a Knocking noise that you hear more so when turning the steering wheel. Mine is also possibly from the left-hand side but it’s difficult to tell. I’ve also had mine checked out by the dealers but they reckon they couldn’t find anything. It is annoying and it just doesn’t sound right but at the moment I don’t know what else to do to identify what the cause is.

don’t really remember having anything like this on previous cars! 

We live in a close with concrete roads. When driving in or out the suspension sounds as if the top brackets of the strut is loose. It’s a rapid juddering noise, albeit not overly loud, just annoying.

On ‘normal’ roads there is no noise, even when hitting less than perfect surfaces.

I think the noise happens because the ‘up and down’ action is rapid and short in length of travel.

We are due our first service next month, so I’ll be raising this as an issue then.

Hi Fellow Karoqers,

Thanks for your replies, still scratching my head. Just been out for a short run in car, noise still there😡 convinced it's coming from front LHS.

It's defiantly worse at low speeds, but not any worse going over any humps or bad road surface.

Going to phone local Skoda dealership in Perth see if they can come up with any answers!!!

Only had the car for over a month but wife is speaking about getting rid of it due to the noise🤣 

4 hours ago, covkerr said:

Hi Fellow Karoqers,

Thanks for your replies, still scratching my head. Just been out for a short run in car, noise still there😡 convinced it's coming from front LHS.

It's defiantly worse at low speeds, but not any worse going over any humps or bad road surface.

Going to phone local Skoda dealership in Perth see if they can come up with any answers!!!

Only had the car for over a month but wife is speaking about getting rid of it due to the noise🤣 

My noise seems very similar so I will keep an eye on this thread to see how you get on. My dealers have looked at it once but couldn’t find anything obvious

I have the same noise on my 2020 1.5 SEL. It has been into my local dealer 3 times but still no fix. When it was in for recent service they replaced both front shocks due to leaks, I was hoping this would fix the knocking noise but it is still there. 

I have a very good garage local to me and it will be going there for a good shake on the MOT ramp soon to see if they can diagnose it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Our 2018 has a knock from the LHS (nearside). I was hoping it was the drop links and replaced them (as cheap) myself but the knock is still there. I believe its the top mount. I found (after changing the drop links *sigh*), with ours you can only replicate it if someone is sat in the passenger seat when you push down on the front. Bonnet up, push on inner wing edge or the front hard to get it bouncing (I have to get a good bounce on it to knock). If you bounce it without someone in the passenger seat, no knock noise. The knock coming from the top of the strut. Might be worth trying to see if you can replicate it that way (careful when pushing hard you dont bend/dent anything!). 

• Love it! 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2022 at 14:28, kprida77 said:

Our 2018 has a knock from the LHS (nearside). I was hoping it was the drop links and replaced them (as cheap) myself but the knock is still there. I believe its the top mount. I found (after changing the drop links *sigh*), with ours you can only replicate it if someone is sat in the passenger seat when you push down on the front. Bonnet up, push on inner wing edge or the front hard to get it bouncing (I have to get a good bounce on it to knock). If you bounce it without someone in the passenger seat, no knock noise. The knock coming from the top of the strut. Might be worth trying to see if you can replicate it that way (careful when pushing hard you dont bend/dent anything!). 

Exactly the same on mine. Both sides. Any update on your issue?

On 17/09/2022 at 14:28, kprida77 said:

careful when pushing hard

Very careful.  some of the panels are stupidly thin these days (well the roof is at any rate - not that you would need to be pressing that very hard in this case 🙂  )  

On 16/08/2022 at 08:56, vegit8 said:

We live in a close with concrete roads. When driving in or out the suspension sounds as if the top brackets of the strut is loose. It’s a rapid juddering noise, albeit not overly loud, just annoying.

So…

The car went in for its first service yesterday, the dealer was told about the rattle.

When I picked the car up they said that they had found a fairly large flint in the sub frame!

No idea how that got there.

Anyhoo, they had removed it, got home - no rattle any more…

All a bit odd, and probably totally unrelated to other problems people are reporting in this thread

On 04/10/2022 at 09:08, roottoot said:

@JamesStam  Were you paying the dealership £115 for a diagnosis or £60 for the first 30 minutes diagnosis,

or was the car back to where you bought it using your consumer rights? 

Took it to Skoda originally whose charge was £85. They waived it having found nothing.

• Like 1

Good evening all,

Having suffered with knocking noises on both sides , today I...

* changed the shock absorbers

* changed the top mounts 

The noises have gone.

Of note - the mechanic's suspicion was the shocks all along (as was mine and my dad's with whom I spent hours phaffing around with the suspension assemblies trying to figure out where the noise was originating).

Having driven it only 20+ miles since the change, the drive itself is MASSIVELY improved as the damping is much more effective and there's a lot less bounce.

Due to a miscommunication, the top mount was changed but not the bearings within. Life.

Therefore, I am confident in saying...

The shock absorbers were causing the irritating knocking.

(shocks were £368 all in with VW parts - in my case this was covered by the garage I bought the vehicle from).

Edited by JamesStam

Thanks for the info.  I asked because my Karoq has 25,000 on the clock.  Something I need to keep an eye on as I have the Edition model and you can hear suspension working overtime on poor roads, to compensate for the skinny low profiles.  Hope it’s not the same issue with shock absorbers!  Thanks

• 7 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Just an update to our issue with knocking noise from our front suspension.  

After about a year suffering the noise on and off (normally off when we took it to any garage to see about the noise😡) . We eventually put car back into a garage and decided to replace the front strut support bearings, after reading about other owners with the same problem replacing them. 

This was a none Skoda garage using none Skoda replacement parts as we are out of warranty.

It looks like we have got to the bottom of the problem and knocking has gone, the mechanic showed me the old support bearings and both had a kind of oil coming out of the sealed unit. 

Hopefully we have got to the bottom of  the problem and can start enjoying the car now🙂       

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/08/2022 at 17:40, covkerr said:

We have a 1.6 SEL DSG 19 plate with 12k on the clock bought about a month ago.

Wife really likes the car except for the most annoying noise coming from we think the front LHS its not there all the time but when it is its a knocking noise

Had car into local garage(none Skoda) to check suspension, bushes, ball joints and front drives, they say everything is good underneath.

I have read on other forums the same problem but none with any real answers.     

Has Perth Skoda confirmed the noise?

Thanks,

Hi, it wasn't a Skoda garage we put it to.

We thought we had got to the bottom of the problem with replacing the bearings, unfortunately the noise is back and as loud as ever

I replaced both of mine with cheapy Ebay bearings, one became noisy again after 6 months, replaced again with a cheapy and noise has gone again so it was definitely the bearing.

I cannot detect any problem with the bearing on the bench it runs just like the new one it replaced, the original ones showered their ball bearings everywhere when removed.