Engine overheating warning

Hello would anybody have had the overheating experience I just had? Caravanning back at 22degC all normal on Acruise control as always. The red warning came up on dash and the engine temp was reading 115degC, immediately backed off and looked for Parking lay-by. In the mean time the temp gauge quickly returned to 90degC and I never saw it again. Feels like a sticky thermostat if these clever cars still have them. Thoughts?

Roottoot is correct with the tow bar prep as this allows a more open fan shroud and better engine cooling.

The other thing to consider if its a tdi is possibly a seized water pump shroud as they also give similar symptoms. 

• Like 2

Happened me the other day after coming back from holidays as car was in airport car park. Like you I pulled nearing the red zone and waited about a min it went back to 90 and was perfect since. I’m thinking it was a build up of pressure that blew off

• Like 1

On 28/08/2022 at 17:00, roottoot said:

What engine, what gearbox, how many miles from new.  Did the car have factory prep for a towbar?

Short answer for now is the 2.0 tdi and DAG auto. Approx 46k. Towbar is after market fit. Not sure if any prep was put in place, suspect not. Due in to dealer soon for service so will ask your questions then. Thanks

On 28/08/2022 at 17:24, ApertureS said:

Roottoot is correct with the tow bar prep as this allows a more open fan shroud and better engine cooling.

The other thing to consider if its a tdi is possibly a seized water pump shroud as they also give similar symptoms. 

Thanks for responding, it is a tricky, and no prep I suspect as fitted aftermarket. I will ask at service about the open shroud. Thanks

Is the car 5 years old.  There might be need for a water pump replacement.  With the DSG it might be the coolant regulator / secondary thermostat..        ps    totally  different subject.   Has up the DSG had an oil change at 40,000 miles,?

Edited by roottoot

Waterpump shroud, no way would the temperature even get high enough for the fans to cut in let alone overheat towing a caravan at normal speeds at 22°C.

A stop-start traffic jam on a very steep incline at 44° maybe, just maybe, I have towed several tonnes with a huge frontage 800kms on autoroutes and up some very long steep inclines at full throttle and the oil temp may have hit 115°C but the water temperature remained constant at 90° the whole time (OK I know it would still show that if it went slightly higher) cooling fans never cut in so larger ones would have made no difference.

UK Max speed limit towing on Motorways & Dual Carriageways is just 60 mph and not that much strain on anything towing an appropriate weight even with temps in the 20's.  The 50 mph speed limits can be a PITA.

I have never ever used any type of cruise control when towing and never will. 

Edited by roottoot