New Car, need new Stereo but no idea where to start...

Hi all,

I have just acquired a new Fabia Classic, 1.9 SDI. Its just as standard.

First of all, I would like to upgrade the stereo as it doesn't have a CD player which I need.

I would also like to upgrade the speakers (I think there are only 4 in the front, no rear speakers)

I have never replaced a stereo or speakers before so I have no idea where to start. I have heard that alpine are a good start but can be expensive, so maybe a Sony or JVC system? Skoda have Blaupunkt in the accessories brochure....

I just want a great sound system and don't mind taking time to get it fitted at a garage if necessary.

Any help, as always, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Upgrading the speakers in the Fabia might be interesting, as I belive they're fixed quite securely in place - if it were me, I'd do one step at a time, replacing the HU and then seeing if the speakers can cope.

Alpine are no more expensive than Sony, and sound a lot nicer. JVC are good budget systems, as are Aiwa and the like. However, considering entry-level Alpine is around

Alpine Head Units are lovelly... Aparently the new JVC's are pretty good too, as are Pioneer.

I'd stay away from Sony if I were you... I've gone back to my Standard HU from a new Sony!!! Plus if you read on car audio forums such as talk audio - http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ and search on "sony" you'll see that most people think that their quality has gone downhill recently. (sorry to anyone on here who runs a Sony :o )

Speakers:

I don't know exactly what size speakers are in the Fabia...

I'm assuming they are 16.5cm?

Alpine, Infinity or Focal (mmmmm, focal...)

They'll all sound better than stock speakers.

You'll just have to work out how to mount them in the doors, as (i've read in another topic on here) the original speakers are rivited into plastic spacer rings underneath the grille... Similar to the MK4 Golf.

Maybe taking your car to a reputable Car Audio installers would be a wise idea if you've never done it before... It's quite easy to get things wrong if you don't know what you're doing... and in a new car, you'd be gutted wouldn't you. (I know I would be!)

Where in the country are you?

I think you'll find a lot of Sony kit isn't as good as it used to be, not just the head units. ;)

Probably true but I've no complaints about my Sony. It plays MP3s flawlessly so I don't need a CD changer. I know this feature is becoming more common now.

Have a look at earlier threads in this forum. You'll find a lot of information and links to suppliers of the kit you need.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

Okay, so it sounds like its gonna be Alpine all the way, can I get the whole lot done in one go? (funds permitting of course!)

Should I be looking to add:

Head unit

Front speakers (if possible, seems a little tricky!)

Subwoofer?

Amplifier?

Has anyone else got a full Alpine installation and if so, what system have you got?

Thanks for the suggestion Welliesorter, I checked through the forum but most folks have Octys and I take it the installation will be a bit different in a Fab.

I'd like a CD Changer too, is this going to be a lot of hassle? Under the passenger seat would be great (if it will fit?)

Sorry about all the questions, as you can see, ICE is new to me :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestion Welliesorter' date=' I checked through the forum but most folks have Octys and I take it the installation will be a bit different in a Fab.

[/quote']It's not that different and a lot of the info will apply to both.

For the basics, take a look at these threads:

"Accessing" Head Units on Fabias

Replacing The Skoda Radio

No Memory On New H.u.

and an external link

The "Aftermarket Radio Problem".

I'd also see how you get on with the standard speakers and a new player. Replacing speakers seems too much like hard work to me.

Update: just spotted FabiaTDi's post above. Looks a good buy to me considering the prices of the extras which you'll need to get anyway.

Oh, and don't bother with rear speakers!!

Here's my imaginary shopping list if I was to do it all again from scratch (and had enough money!):

1x Top Range Alpine CD/MP3 Head Unit

1x Pair Boston Pro Components

1x Boston Acoustics 4 Ch Amp

1x Boston or Top Range Viper 12" Sub

1x EFMAX (Erskine Fenty) Designed Box

Plus proper cabling throughout!

My current setup is pretty good, like I mentioned, but that little lot would make me smile!

Halfords have some Alpine head units for sale' date=' do I need a sub and amp or not? The CD changer wud be nice too... anyone know of anyone who has a wide Alpine range available?

[/quote']

You shouldn't *need* a sub and amp, but it depends what sort of sound you're after. It will make your bass a lot stronger - it's the sort of thing to add in if you think the first stage of upgrade isn't enough.

MCS Direct have a good range of Alpine stuff, although just because Alpine makes excellent HUs doesn't mean their speakers will be the best.

I opted for an Alpine MP3 CD changer and tape head unit package from the above vendor which cost

• 1 year later...