Petrol Lid Sticking

Smiler100

I am having problems with my petrol lid sticking on my Karoq 1.5 18reg. My local garage managed to get it open but would not tell me how! they put some lubricant on it and it worked for about a month but now its stuck again. Have ordered new part and they will fix next week. But what would have happened if I had a low tank and away from home. Is there a way of opening in a emergency? I assumed that the lid locks when the car is locked, is this true?

I changed over from a Yeti Monte Carlo to this Edition 1.5 Karoq and love the car except for the 19in wheels and Pirelli tyres which seem to pick up every bump in the road.

Peter

The filler cap locks when you lock the doors, and it's this solenoid that can stick when you unlock them. I've seen reports that you can force the lid open with a screwdriver wrapped in a cloth, but that breaks the plastic loop on the inside of the filler cap needing it all to be replaced. I've never experienced this problem myself, but seen suggestions that banging your hand on the bodywork by the filler cap may 'unstick' it. 

Chris

Basically it's a crap design. Our car had to be returned several times to have the mechanism replaced. The door had unlocked, I just couldn't open it. Think it was the pin head design that was the issue.

Get it back to the dealer but if you get stuck, try pressing the door in different locations rather than directly behind the catch. From memory I think I had to push the middle of the fuel flap b4 it would open.

There's never been an issue on our Kodiaq but the Karoq was a pain-in-the-butt at times for this.

On 13/09/2022 at 19:17, CJJE said:

The filler cap locks when you lock the doors, and it's this solenoid that can stick when you unlock them. I've seen reports that you can force the lid open with a screwdriver wrapped in a cloth, but that breaks the plastic loop on the inside of the filler cap needing it all to be replaced. I've never experienced this problem myself, but seen suggestions that banging your hand on the bodywork by the filler cap may 'unstick' it. 

Chris

Thanks for your help. I did try pressing the lid in various places but this did not work also some suggested a short thump but still no result. Tried today and used my fob to lock and unlock fast, many times and its freed the lock.

Left the lid open and tried the same action with the fob, locking rod pushed onto lock,  and found that it tended to stick but when I used the lock/unlock on the fob at a fast speed it freed the locking every time. Perhaps a new trick if you get stuck.Now need to tape up the lid until next week , don't want it sticking again.

Anyway have booked my car in next week for a new fitting

Thanks.

• Like 1

When the plunger stuck on a previous Superb my nearest dealer chap forced it open somehow.

I then cut away a piece of the “lock” inside the flap so that it would never lock shut again.

I slept easily ever after.

Like a lot of locks, have you tried pushing in very gently on the flap (to offload the plunger) then unlock the vehicle while holding the flap in.

Brute force rarely gets you there. Understandable when you know how it works.

If you watch the plunger working it moves in and out then turns 90 degrees. Guaranteed to fail in time.

Some suggest silicon lube spray helps.

Edited by BoxerBoy

21 minutes ago, Sanqhar said:

Can it be lubricated?

Where would you squirt the WD40?

I don't think I'd use WD40 for this.

In the last century it was great for getting the sparks back where they were supposed be when your distributor and HT leads were wet, but not much else.

It leaves a residue that attracts dirt, too.

For what it's worth, I'd try something with silicone or PTFE if you need it to creep, something with lithium if you don't.

Good advice found this to be true with hand tools and small equipment.

15 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

When the plunger stuck on a previous Superb my nearest dealer chap forced it open somehow.

I then cut away a piece of the “lock” inside the flap so that it would never lock shut again.

I slept easily ever after.

Like a lot of locks, have you tried pushing in very gently on the flap (to offload the plunger) then unlock the vehicle while holding the flap in.

Brute force rarely gets you there. Understandable when you know how it works.

If you watch the plunger working it moves in and out then turns 90 degrees. Guaranteed to fail in time.

Some suggest silicon lube spray helps.

Hi BoxerBoy,i am beginning to like the idea of taking away the locking action. Not sure what you meant by 'cut away a piece of the lock' which part and how! I have never had fuel taken so don't see the absolute need for the locking device and hate the idea of being stuck with no fuel and waiting 3-4 days for a spare part. But the lid needs to shut well so how do you cup away a piece?

Would help me to sleep as well, more so when my wife is on her own in the car.

I think VAG cars all work the same way. We have 2. 

There’s a solenoid hidden in the rear panel. Not very accessible. And quite ££££

It clicks in and out and turns the locking “key” 90 degrees.

The oblong head of the key locks behind a very small piece of the lid.

Circled in the photos.

A few minutes with the appropriate tools can remove a small piece of plastic. And the flap will never lock again whether the solenoid is working or not.

Option B - that I haven’t tried - would be to cut the head off the moving solenoid pin. That seems more brutal.

ps - I’ve been lucky not to have fuel stolen in half a century of motoring.

D58145EC-28BC-4B8A-8F88-576D9934DA37.jpeg

3B4185B0-83D1-453C-A302-9B7A7681AD6B.jpeg

4E5527B0-B7EC-4747-9406-655066198496.jpeg

E3C44BE9-4FBA-4E5D-BEDF-C371F69B520D.jpeg

D22D9F0B-298A-4732-BEA6-B4A88905FFF4.jpeg

Edited by BoxerBoy

Thanks BoxerBoy that seems to be good solution. I have been told by my garage that the replacement solenoid is in and its now booked to be replaced but based on my experience I will watch what happens but seriously consider modifying the lid , its so easy. 

Cannot understand why these companies don't find a solution to a very trying problem. Wonder how high the bill will be!!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone I have learnt a lot.