Anyone know max SD card size for infotainment system?

Finally got my head around some of the infotainment system (car play etc) but want to buy a large SD card to load music to so I have most of my full music collection to hand in the car. I only have selected music on my phone and I had an old classic 30gb iPod in the last car which doesn’t seem to work!

So does anyone know what is the largest SD card that is compatible with the system? Will a 32gb be ok?

No need for FAT32, exFAT will be fine.  It was specifically developed for large SD cards.  If you format a large card in Windows Explorer, it will default to exFAT.  It has a size limit, but this is 128PB - many orders of magnitude bigger that the largest SD card you can find.  We use 128GB cards in both my Octavia (Amundsen) and my wife's Fabia (Swing). 

The only thing to watch is how you organise the files on the Swing.  It seems to have lower memory capacity for holding the metadata indexes (artist, title etc).  I like to shuffle-play the whole card on the Amundsen, but I can't do so on the Swing.  It seems to be able to handle only the first x tracks it finds below the folder that you select for shuffle.  I've seen no published limits, but I stick to about 1000 tracks below any folder where I select shuffle.  You may have to experiment with different folder structures.

Edited by GaryL
  • Like 1

The MBR Vs GPT is our limit

So as seen below, or max SD Card size or USB is 2.199 TB

The partition would then be formatted as either exFAT (vFAT if you like) or NTFS

The 2-TB barrier is the result of this 32-bit limitation. Because the maximum number that can be represented by using 32 bits is 4,294,967,295, it translates to 2.199 TB of capacity by using 512-byte sectors (approximately 2.2 TB). Therefore, a capacity beyond 2.2 TB isn't addressable by using the MBR partitioning scheme.

Quite right, I was forgetting the MBR limit.  I know the specs allow for higher sizes, but I think you'd have a job finding an SD card bigger than 2TB at present.  The last time I looked, the largest on offer was 1TB.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GaryL said:

Quite right, I was forgetting the MBR limit.  I know the specs allow for higher sizes, but I think you'd have a job finding an SD card bigger than 2TB at present.  The last time I looked, the largest on offer was 1TB.

Oh for sure, but depending on your unit, USB will be an option.
Maybe there is an eye-wateringly expensive 2TB SD Card out there now... hate to think of the price.

EDIT: 1.5TB micro SD size does exist, 2TB is still a no.

i400-670x500.jpg.ea227ac3ca6df193b0ea6371f5980e0e.jpg

Edited by varooom
Additional Information

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I had a 256Gb SD card in use. The limit is not on the size of the card, but the number of files. The infotainment system will only read the first 9,999 files on the card, the rest get ignored. I forget where I read this. I now use a 128Gb card and a 64Gb card, plus there's the Jukebox on the system (10Gb?) and I've got a 32Gb USB stick plugged in next to the cigar lighter.