Known Vulnerabilities

There appear to be people scouting out cars, particularly anything that isn't current generation, of late.

Are there any known vulnerabilities on the Octavia 3 which make entry/theft easy.

I specifically DO NOT want details as that will only help those who are looking to take or break into the cars.

For example, do I need to be mindful that entry is now easy and should look to use something like a disclock?

Also what makes a good deterrant these days?

Trackers, Smart water, ruddy great steering locks etc?

Is it worth leaving the boot uncovered, so it's obvious there is nothing in there or is that just asking for problems with the storage pockets that come with the car to hold deicer and the first aid kit etc?

I have this nasty 1980s/90s feeling about thing at the moment 😕

Edited by cheezemonkhai
swear filter got too smart for itself.
  • Like 1

I've always been sceptical of Tracker (and it's copies) even though I've owned what were at the time very 'nickable' cars (like a B7 Audi RS4 from 2006 to 2016) I've never had one. Why? Because Tracker refuse to publish figures for cars fitted with a Tracker and NOT recovered, making it impossible to determine whether the chance of getting a stolen car back is any greater with or without a Tracker - which undermines totally the argument for having one and makes the cost seem a probable waste of money.

I've never (so far he says crossing fingers, toes, etc.) had a car stolen and only had one car damaged by thieves - who smashed the front passenger window of an Audi A4 where I had stupidly left the mount for a GPS camera detector in the windscreen (not the device just the mount). So I'm happy just to rely on the OE alarm system, especially as the Octavia 3 has never figured high on the list of stolen cars plus as it's now obsolete that makes it even less desirable.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

I've always been sceptical of Tracker (and it's copies) even though I've owned what were at the time very 'nickable' cars (like a B7 Audi RS4 from 2006 to 2016) I've never had one. Why? Because Tracker refuse to publish figures for cars fitted with a Tracker and NOT recovered, making it impossible to determine whether the chance of getting a stolen car back is any greater with or without a Tracker - which undermines totally the argument for having one and makes the cost seem a probable waste of money.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this, although my contemplation came from the idea that it's impossible to get a new car right now, so if it got stolen you could be without one for a long time.

29 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

I've never (so far he says crossing fingers, toes, etc.) had a car stolen and only had one car damaged by thieves - who smashed the front passenger window of an Audi A4 where I had stupidly left the mount for a GPS camera detector in the windscreen (not the device just the mount). So I'm happy just to rely on the OE alarm system, especially as the Octavia 3 has never figured high on the list of stolen cars plus as it's now obsolete that makes it even less desirable.

We have noticed a lot of last generation cars are being broken into and stolen, with the suggestion they're desirable for spare parts due to a shortage of new spare parts. The older cars are easier to nick (if you discount keyless entry), which makes them a target.

The disclock type steering locks at least means they need to make more noise to steal it, although how much people would notice at night is another question.

I am assuming (although could be incorrect) that marking car parts with something police approved that can be used as evidence and advertising that fact would make it a less desirable target, but you never know if it just makes it more of a target just because they can.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

We have noticed a lot of last generation cars are being broken into and stolen, with the suggestion they're desirable for spare parts due to a shortage of new spare parts. The older cars are easier to nick (if you discount keyless entry), which makes them a target.

The disclock type steering locks at least means they need to make more noise to steal it, although how much people would notice at night is another question.

I am assuming (although could be incorrect) that marking car parts with something police approved that can be used as evidence and advertising that fact would make it a less desirable target, but you never know if it just makes it more of a target just because they can.

I've had a couple of cars with keyless entry and always keep the keys in a shielded enclosure (pseudo Farday cage). The security system on the Octavia 3 is AFAIK better than most cars of it's era so I'm not sure I'd agree that it's easier to nick.

When my A4 got its window smashed not one single neighbour reacted, even though the car was parked within 3 feet of the neighbours front window and in clear view of it, so I'm not sure the extra noise of removing a disklock type device is a useful factor - just the visual factor of 'let's find one that's easier to nick'.

But which car parts would you mark? And as you say does anything visible just attract attention, I prefer the stealth approach.

I don't think the VRS is a huge target in terms of theft, I live in Birmingham and they don't seem to come up on the 'stolen car' pages on social media. I can recall may be one or two. 
The disclock steering locks/parking bollards are a good visual deterrent for most chancers, they can be removed quite easily for those with the knowhow. I also think it increases the chances of them breaking into your house for the keys. 

The Ghost and Pandora immobilisers have good reviews, it's another invisible layer of security. 

Having woken one morning three years ago and pulled back the bedroom curtains to see two cars missing (both company cars, one recovered 6 miles away, used in a supermarket raid, the other was never seen again), it wasn't the cars that were vulnerable, it was the house. They snapped the lock to the front door, walked into the lounge (below our bedroom) and took the basket with the keys in (ignoring two phones on charge and my wallet).

So, the house is now more secure, we have diskloks on the cars and cctv doorbell etc.

The above still won't stop the current spate of machete wielding thugs who are stealing catalytic convertors - in broad daylight though. 

Basically, do what you can, or what makes you feel safe. There's scum out there and they don't care.

Like you, I have a nasty feeling about things at the moment. 

3 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

But which car parts would you mark? And as you say does anything visible just attract attention, I prefer the stealth approach.

I was thinking stealth marking, using some of the uniquely identifiable not visible in under normal light solutions. Probably in not typically visible places of the easy to flog bits, such as the radio parts, engine and exhaust parts, suitable parts of the alloys, seats etc. Basically enough removable parts to make a reasonable chance of a conviction if people were caught transiting/selling a car as parts.

A bit like the visual "find an easier one" deterrent of the disclock, I imagine advertising the marking with the supplied window stickers (like the old car alarm stickers) would make the car less attractive than one that is unmarked.

43 minutes ago, Cakemonster said:

Having woken one morning three years ago and pulled back the bedroom curtains to see two cars missing (both company cars, one recovered 6 miles away, used in a supermarket raid, the other was never seen again), it wasn't the cars that were vulnerable, it was the house. They snapped the lock to the front door, walked into the lounge (below our bedroom) and took the basket with the keys in (ignoring two phones on charge and my wallet).

So, the house is now more secure, we have diskloks on the cars and cctv doorbell etc.

The above still won't stop the current spate of machete wielding thugs who are stealing catalytic convertors - in broad daylight though. 

Basically, do what you can, or what makes you feel safe. There's scum out there and they don't care.

Like you, I have a nasty feeling about things at the moment. 

The old lock bumping and snapping thing bothers me, because it's been known about for years and yet doors/windows are still sold the vulnerable locks.

It's time for a Eurocylinder v2, with two not one screw points and anti-snap/pick/bump features a requirement of the basic spec.

Obviously it only applies to new doors.

I do hear what you're saying about they'll do what they want though, as they are basically out there and don't care one bit if they're seen.

I didn't like the 80s/90s and yes, it's that same you can't have anything nice or it'll get nicked or at the least damaged feeling.

Having looked at the pandora system, it reminds me of an alarm from the 90s, where you could hand over the keys, they could drive away and after a certain time the car would just cut out if they hadn't put in the right number of taps. Essentially they get away, you have time to call the police and then hopefully the car can be recovered.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

If the house side of things worries you fit new locks - three star diamond ones to TS007 - there are plenty available these days at about £30 to £40 per lock

With bikes and cars I've always been of the opinion that if it's gone, it's gone. That's what the insurance is for. No use preventing a theft if they trash the car or pull it apart trying anyway. Ive never liked the idea of trackers, they increase the chance of you getting a ruined car back in bits and once it's been stolen it's too late. Having a hidden device is pointless, big stickers that say 'tracker fitted' or whatever that crazy system that means you have to press 10 buttons in a specific order is fitted might be enough to make them think another is easier. 

• Like 1

VW keys have been known to be insecure for years. Lots of stories similar to the one below available from your favourite search engine. :-(
https://www.theregister.com/2016/08/11/car_lock_hack/

On 16/09/2022 at 18:26, skomaz said:

If the house side of things worries you fit new locks - three star diamond ones to TS007 - there are plenty available these days at about £30 to £40 per lock

Already got 3 star locks and 2 star handles (not needed I know, but I was replacing some old broken ones and the cost difference wasn't huge).

I've been fitting decent locks for over a decade as I used to work in DG and so knew how vulnerable EC locks are. Hingebolts are something so many people overlook too.

It's just a shame that stalking out cars/houses isn't something the police can pick you up for.

It's pretty indefensible when you do it in the middle of the night, wrapped up hiding yourself and clearly checking out property 😕

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 2