EML and Airbag light issues.

blood

Hi.

About 4 days the orange EML came on on my  2013 Skoda 2lt Diesel DSG 4x4 estate, after three days it suddenly went off of its own accord, great I thought, but after driving it for around 50 miles today  their was an audible ping and now the Airbag orange dash light came on saying Airbag fault.

To much of a coincidence I fear, so what could be causing such a set of problems?

Batteries relatively new and the cars running absolutely as it should.

It's being checked tomorrow at the local garage but any suggestions or insights as to why these random lights come on are welcome.

Thanks.

Blood.

And also the horn and any steering wheel controls if fitted.

I don't think it will have caused the EML light and I dont think the 2 faults are related.

24 minutes ago, blood said:

If I dont ask then I won't know, that's how people learn.

I just watched a youtube clip showing it being done on a VW, looked a tad intricate a job for my gnarled old arthritic fingers so I guess if it is the clockspring then it will left to the experts.👍

Thank you all for your advice and input..

Easy enough to remove although for the life of me I could not see where the retaining clips were on mine, expensive to replace but easy to repair with a fine temp controlled soldering iron.

1 hour ago, blood said:

I just watched a youtube clip showing it being done on a VW, looked a tad intricate a job for my gnarled old arthritic fingers so I guess if it is the clockspring then it will left to the experts.👍

Thank you all for your advice and input..

It might not be the clockspring only a fault code readout will highlight where the problem is, a very common cause of the airbag light are the connections too the front seats especially if they are frequently moved for different driver/passengers ?

• Like 1

Air bag light might be down to damaged door loom wiring? The doors have airbag sensors in them.  Damaged door loom wiring Is a common fault . Running a diagnostic scan should tell you which air bag sensor it is. I've had the airbag light come on for this reason. 

• Like 1

It's had a diagnostic check and it's thrown up two faults, first being a Glow plug fault so will change those,

Second fault came back as Side impact sensor....so they will investigate further to see if it that or as you mention a damaged driver door loom wiring, the vehicle is used as taxi and i'm in and out like a yo-yo to help the customer in and out, indeed had that same problem with the last superb I had.

I'll keep you posted after it's had a proper investigation and repair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blood said:

It's had a diagnostic check and it's thrown up two faults, first being a Glow plug fault so will change those,

Second fault came back as Side impact sensor....so they will investigate further to see if it that or as you mention a damaged driver door loom wiring, the vehicle is used as taxi and i'm in and out like a yo-yo to help the customer in and out, indeed had that same problem with the last superb I had.

I'll keep you posted after it's had a proper investigation and repair.

Door loom damage is very very common near the hinge area, loads of posts on here about that.

It's a problem right across the Auid, Seat, Skoda & VW range of cars once they get to around 10 years old. The wire insulation loses its elasticity becomes brittle cracks eventually the copper work hardens and breaks with all the movement of opening and closing the doors.