Looks like I'll soon be in the market for new brake pads.

Avocet

Hi All,  I put our "winter" wheels on this weekend (just another set of wheels with winter tyres on them).  While I was at it, I had a quick look at the pads.  They're getting fairly thin now.  About 4mm on the fronts and a bit less on the rears.  There's also a very slight judder through the brakes (which everyone will say is a "warped disc" but I suspect is the disc thickness varying).

So, what with one thing and another, I guess I'm going to need new discs and pads all round.  Before I start, I have a few questions, please?

1.  Does anyone have any recommendations as to brands and suppliers?
2.  I was going to purchase an OBD eleven device anyway for other diagnostic work, so I think I can use this to retract the handbrake actuators.  Does anyone have experience with this device and can it do that?
3.  I've seen various threads / heard rumours about the caliper bolts being some weird head that isn't hex, Torx, Ribe, spline or anything previously known to man.  Is this actually true?!  If so, can someone tell me what socket / bit type I actually need, please?!
4.  Is there anything else weird about the job?  Are the fronts pretty conventional?

Thanks!

This is my take on your questions.

1: I'll be fitting https://www.mtecbrakes.com/ discs on my Touareg when they are due, had them on a few cars and the quality exceeded OEM discs

2: I've got a full VCDS Hex-V2 setup that I know will work, the OBD Eleven you might need the Pro version ? or have to buy credits to get it to do the job ? 

3: The chances are they are going to be the same sort of bolts used on the newer VAG models and that will be the Triple Square or XZN like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265778352338 

4: The fronts will be as any other car, the rears once the handbrake system has been retracted should be a simple pad change ( the rears on my Treg are a pain as the parking brake is an internal drum arrangement setup that needs VCDS to set up the air gaps between the shoes and the the drum)  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

This is my take on your questions.

1: I'll be fitting https://www.mtecbrakes.com/ discs on my Touareg when they are due, had them on a few cars and the quality exceeded OEM discs

2: I've got a full VCDS Hex-V2 setup that I know will work, the OBD Eleven you might need the Pro version ? or have to buy credits to get it to do the job ? 

3: The chances are they are going to be the same sort of bolts used on the newer VAG models and that will be the Triple Square or XZN like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265778352338 

4: The fronts will be as any other car, the rears once the handbrake system has been retracted should be a simple pad change ( the rears on my Treg are a pain as the parking brake is an internal drum arrangement setup that needs VCDS to set up the air gaps between the shoes and the the drum)  

Fantastic, thanks!

Doesn't look like Mtec do brakes for the Kodiaq though.  I'll get a set of those bits, that's perfect, ta.
I was wondering about VCDS.  That's the one that used to be VAGCOM isn't it? I've had OBDeleven recommended but I'll have a look at VCDS too.  The OBDeleven website isn't terribly clear, so I was going to message them tomorrow.  I think the freebie (once you've bought the actual reader) version will read fault codes and do the rear caliper actuators, but I'll ask.  Credits seem to only be a couple of Euros each.

17 hours ago, Avocet said:

Hi All,  I put our "winter" wheels on this weekend (just another set of wheels with winter tyres on them).  While I was at it, I had a quick look at the pads.  They're getting fairly thin now.  About 4mm on the fronts and a bit less on the rears.  There's also a very slight judder through the brakes (which everyone will say is a "warped disc" but I suspect is the disc thickness varying).

So, what with one thing and another, I guess I'm going to need new discs and pads all round.  Before I start, I have a few questions, please?

1.  Does anyone have any recommendations as to brands and suppliers?
2.  I was going to purchase an OBD eleven device anyway for other diagnostic work, so I think I can use this to retract the handbrake actuators.  Does anyone have experience with this device and can it do that?
3.  I've seen various threads / heard rumours about the caliper bolts being some weird head that isn't hex, Torx, Ribe, spline or anything previously known to man.  Is this actually true?!  If so, can someone tell me what socket / bit type I actually need, please?!
4.  Is there anything else weird about the job?  Are the fronts pretty conventional?

What size discs have you got?

The Kodiaq has three different sizes of front brake discs: 312x25mm, 314x30mm, 340x30mm.

The front brake systems on the Kodiaq are all TRW brake systems.

Jurid on autodoc suggests that the Kodiaq 2.0TDI 150HP 4x4 has 314x30mm front brake discs. You can check by measuring the outside diameter of the front brake discs, or if you have build code 1LW that would show that you have 314x30mm front brake discs.

TRW GDB2114 front brake pads (for Kodiaq 314x30mm front brake discs) £45.14

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRW-GDB2114Â-Brake-Pad-disc-brake/dp/B06XYN4994/ref=sr_1_1?crid=YKZWU3H5E8H1&keywords=trw+gdb2114&qid=1664803916&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjA4IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=trw+gdb2114%2Caps%2C74&sr=8-1

ATE brake discs are coated, whereas TRW brake discs are painted. Coated brake discs should give better protection from rust.

ATE 24.0130-0220.1 314x30mm front brake discs

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ate/7005983

Kodiaq parts catalogue

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/skoda/CZ/KOD/804/6/615/615010

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Carlston said:

What size discs have you got?

The Kodiaq has three different sizes of front brake discs: 312x25mm, 314x30mm, 340x30mm.

The front brake systems on the Kodiaq are all TRW brake systems.

Jurid on autodoc suggests that the Kodiaq 2.0TDI 150HP 4x4 has 314x30mm front brake discs. You can check by measuring the outside diameter of the front brake discs, or if you have build code 1LW that would show that you have 314x30mm front brake discs.

TRW GDB2114 front brake pads (for Kodiaq 314x30mm front brake discs) £45.14

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRW-GDB2114Â-Brake-Pad-disc-brake/dp/B06XYN4994/ref=sr_1_1?crid=YKZWU3H5E8H1&keywords=trw+gdb2114&qid=1664803916&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjA4IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=trw+gdb2114%2Caps%2C74&sr=8-1

ATE brake discs are coated, whereas TRW brake discs are painted. Coated brake discs should give better protection from rust.

ATE 24.0130-0220.1 314x30mm front brake discs

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ate/7005983

Kodiaq parts catalogue

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/skoda/CZ/KOD/804/6/615/615010

Thanks Carlston, that's really helpful stuff!  I had no idea there were three sizes, just a few mm different!  I'll pop a wheel off again at the weekend and check.  I had a look at Autodoc, as they're my preferred supplier, but post-Brexit, the stuff takes longer to arrive and the prices aren't quite as good as they used to be.  Apec front discs from Eurocarparts were just over £50 each, last time I looked, and I can get them next day.

On 02/10/2022 at 22:34, Avocet said:

The OBDeleven website isn't terribly clear

OBDeleven can do this easily. It takes 10 credits, which costs 2 euro. This will be significantly cheaper than investing in VCDS for the job (though VCDS is a great tool for heavy-duty coding).

• Thanks 1

Thanks all. 

Carlston, I measured the front discs this afternoon.  Closest I could measure was 315mm, so I'm guessing they're the 314 discs, given that they're a bit crispy round the edges.

Tier, that does indeed seem to be the case, thanks.

On 09/10/2022 at 16:41, Teir said:

OBDeleven can do this easily. It takes 10 credits, which costs 2 euro. This will be significantly cheaper than investing in VCDS for the job (though VCDS is a great tool for heavy-duty coding).

Unfortunately, I seem to have fallen flat on my face at my first attempt!  I've connected the (basic) device, bought 10 credits, gone to "workshop", selected "brake pads replacement" and I just get a message saying "not supported"!

Help!!!!

What am I doing wrong?

59 minutes ago, Teir said:

Hi @Avocet, I see you've got it sorted now?

I have indeed, thanks.  However, in case anyone on here runs into the same problem, it was my phone!  It's a hand-me-down from one of the kids, a "Blackview" (Chinese).  Although it had worked fine for reading fault codes and live data, it seems this operation was beyond it.  I downloaded the app to a Samsung Galaxy S7 and it all worked fine.

Also, if anyone is wondering, OBDeleven charge 10 "credits" for winding back the calipers, but it's another 10 credits to close them afterwards!  I don't mind the cost, it's only a couple of Euros for each, but when it's 1.00 in the morning and your hands are filthy, the very LAST thing you want to be doing is pi55ing about trying to top up the credits on your phone!

The other irritation (though I can't really blame a Chinese mobile phone company for that), was that three of the four rear pads had a good 10,000 miles left on them.  They were about 5mm thick.  However, the inner pad on the driver's side, was down to about 1.5mm.  Originally, I thought I might have had seized caliper slides, but they were fine.  The inside surface of the disc was truly appalling!  Not only ridges (which I can live with), but lumps missing out of the surface, which were just "milling" the pad material away!  5 years and just 36,000 miles, and it looks like this!

20221016_101620s.jpg

20221016_101637s.jpg

• Groan 1

No, none whatsoever!  OK, the rear brakes don't do that much, but I was genuinely surprised.  There's a very small amount of judder, but that's from the front brakes - which I've also just replaced.