Keyfob battery constantly showing as ‘weak’

Hello Everyone,

A new gremlin for my Octavia 4. Software update now on 1896 and most infotainment functions work ok now. But for the last month I keep on receiving this warning message on the dashboard…….

”Keyfob battery getting weak. Please replace”

That last happened a year ago and when I changed the battery, all was well. But now, despite half a dozen CR2032 coin-battery changes (Philips, Panasonic, no cheap makes)  the fault continues to come up every time I start the car. The ‘unused’ spare key also brings up the same fault. 

Has anyone else experienced this annoying fault? Is there a fix that I’m unaware of 

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/10/2022 at 18:15, PoloPaul said:

Has anyone else experienced this annoying fault? Is there a fix that I’m unaware of 

Yes. Like you, several new (and premium) batteries, but the "replace keyfob battery" message remained. Until a couple of weeks ago and now it's gone away. But that doesn't alter the fact that the constant refrain in our house is "That Bloody Car!".

2 hours ago, Mark Hiscock said:

Yup, this started happening to me recently despite new batteries in the key fob.

I'm currently ignoring it and I keep a couple of spares in the glove box for when it eventually does run out!

+ Keep a spare in your man bag in case the fob fails while the vehicle is locked. SWMBOs Fabia did that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PoloPaul said:

Service Department recommended fitting Skoda’s own CR2032s @ £4.10 each. 

Well, they would say that, wouldn't they? What's the source of these batteries - Panasonic, Duracell, Varta, re-badged as Skoda and sold at a higher price?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir_Ron_Norris said:

Well, they would say that, wouldn't they? What's the source of these batteries - Panasonic, Duracell, Varta, re-badged as Skoda and sold at a higher price?

What! - you mean these cells don't come from the Skoda factory?🤣

On 18/11/2022 at 02:42, Sir_Ron_Norris said:

OE is Panasonic, at least on my car and a friends - both NZ market models FWIW.

I called Skoda Service. They spoke to their technical people who confirmed that any quality CR2032 should work. They then spoke to my Dealer who stressed that both batteries in both key fobs must be changed when the ‘battery weak’ warning comes up. Having only replaced one battery in one key fob I duly put  a new Panasonic CR2032 in the other key fob and took them both to open the car. I am pleased to say that the ‘warning replace battery’ did not come up  for the first time in weeks. 🤞

The dealer also helpfully clarified the ‘Skoda Own Packaged’ battery issue. Oddly there  is logic in this! In order to verify if the keyfobs are faulty the dealer must install the Skoda Part with an official  Skoda part number hence the Skoda Packaged battery (My factory installed batteries were Panasonic but apparently Skoda now fit Varta) . If the system continues to show the ‘warning change battery’ message then the dealer can organise a warranty replacement of both keys. However this can only be done if the key fobs have had an official Skoda Part (battery) installed. Owners will then also be reimbursed for the cost of the ‘test’ batteries. That does seem fair. 

So from year to year you can change batteries. The Dealer explained that all CR2032 are 3v but that only certain brands (Panasonic/Varta) deliver sufficient current. 

The vital point is to change BOTH keyfob batteries at the same time and then bring both into the car for the system to register the strength of both batteries. If your DIY change still brings up the warning, you can  get the dealer to change the batteries and test them with the car at the garage. If the ‘Replace Battery’ warning comes up after that, the keys will be replaced under warranty and the cost of the ‘trial’ batteries will be reimbursed.

Today, for the first time in 2 years 2 months and 3 weeks since I bought my brand new 1.5 SEL FE all systems in the car are working as they should have done from day one. 

• Like 1