2019 Mk3 Sudden High Idle Problem

2 minutes ago, Gonzini said:

I'm doing 18 miles a day, its country back roads. I can get on the motorway to do that run but slow moving heavy traffic puts me off that one. Could even end up being parked up.
I wonder if i had done the 400 mile journey up & back to Lincolnshire it would of stopped it. I usually do that journey 3 times through the year. Maybe that's been enough in the past.

Should be up there middle / end of next month. (if the cars working....)

Just don't do that many longer journeys these days, i could take it up the motorway over the weekend i guess & have a day out somewhere.

You could in theory wait until your next Lincolnshire run, unless you see the exhaust lamp/MFD warning show.

If you get that bong and message, take it for a late evening/midnight run.

The only other possible thing could be a sensor is going astray, but I would have expected EML to be on.

12 minutes ago, varooom said:

You could in theory wait until your next Lincolnshire run, unless you see the exhaust lamp/MFD warning show.

If you get that bong and message, take it for a late evening/midnight run.

The only other possible thing could be a sensor is going astray, but I would have expected EML to be on.

Guess a later evening run after rush hour could work. I could try the motorway in the morning, i never use it as it gets so busy.
If its OK i could start using it more if it helps stop this happening. Its a pretty quick journey for me using the back roads so I've stuck with that route for past 8 years.
I sort of half not trust the car TBH, I've always had the underlying thought that's its going to play up! There's just something about the build quality on these new cars, but maybe I've got the wrong idea about that one. Its out of the warranty now as well, I'm thinking maybe of should of extended it but it was another £300  for year. But a single repair bill could be at least that and probably more...

• Like 1

I was going to suggest maybe see if you can locate someone nearby with the latest VCDS version (or buy own perhaps if you plan to stay with VAG group for a few years) at least you can do a scan and also read out some MVB's (Measurement Value Blocks) to see how much soot the car is reporting.

A full VCDS scan would also allow someone to see if there's an ECU update out there, could be a fix for the regeneration.  Guesswork for now, perhaps report back after you have taken the car for a drive to/from work, hopefully the revs are back to normal.

Personally I would use VW502 oil at the next service and not long Life oil.   Change the spark plugs if they are the factory ones still in.  Then use Tesco momentum 99, or Sainsbury super unless 97 Ron min, even Esso 99 super and every week or odd week have a wee run out, car up to temp and do a few miles of driving.  

26 minutes ago, varooom said:

I was going to suggest maybe see if you can locate someone nearby with the latest VCDS version (or buy own perhaps if you plan to stay with VAG group for a few years) at least you can do a scan and also read out some MVB's (Measurement Value Blocks) to see how much soot the car is reporting.

A full VCDS scan would also allow someone to see if there's an ECU update out there, could be a fix for the regeneration.  Guesswork for now, perhaps report back after you have taken the car for a drive to/from work, hopefully the revs are back to normal.

I've never attempted to try and read the ECU on this car. I do have a few OBD2 interface adapters about. Last one i brought was a cheapo bluetooth one for the old mk2 Fabia.
Not sure if it would be compatible with this car? That came with Torque, i used it on a android tablet.
I have used VCDS in the past, i had a VW 1.8T Bora before the first Fabia so used it with that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Personally I would use VW502 oil at the next service and not long Life oil.   Change the spark plugs if they are the factory ones still in.  Then use Tesco momentum 99, or Sainsbury super unless 97 Ron min, even Esso 99 super and every week or odd week have a wee run out, car up to temp and do a few miles of driving.  

Left it to the main dealers for the servicing as still on the finance for the car. Its probably due a plug change on the next service which will be next Sept now, its just been done.
Could try some super unleaded in there i guess, but would that just be a waste of money?

Address 01: Engine (J623-DBKA)       Labels:. 04L-907-309-V1.clb

Part No SW: 04L 906 026 CA    HW: 04L 907 309 R

Component: R4 1,6L EDC   H21 1662 

FL_04L906026CA_1662__V001.frf

FL_04L906026CA_2023__V001.frf

FL_04L906026CA_3126__V001.frf

If you was able to scan the car with VCDS or something else that can talk to it, then I could see if it had any updates for engine ECU.

The Part No SW tells you the flash filename, and next line tells you the currently loaded version.

04L 906 026 CA at version 1662, I was then able to see there was 3x choices, mine now runs version 3126.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, varooom said:

Address 01: Engine (J623-DBKA)       Labels:. 04L-907-309-V1.clb

Part No SW: 04L 906 026 CA    HW: 04L 907 309 R

Component: R4 1,6L EDC   H21 1662 

FL_04L906026CA_1662__V001.frf

FL_04L906026CA_2023__V001.frf

FL_04L906026CA_3126__V001.frf

If you was able to scan the car with VCDS or something else that can talk to it, then I could see if it had any updates for engine ECU.

The Part No SW tells you the flash filename, and next line tells you the currently loaded version.

04L 906 026 CA at version 1662, I was then able to see there was 3x choices, mine now runs version 3126.

Oh blimey, its been a while!
I don't even know where the OBD2 port is on the car! Do they still use OBD2 on these?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, roottoot said:

@Gonzini  £2.50 extra for a tankful is hardly big spending, compared to splashing cash at main dealers for them to suck in loudly and say all is fine.

Also to charge the same fixed price to supply & replace 3 spark plugs as they do to replace 4.

Fair point i guess, if you think it will really help I'll put some good stuff in. I'm about 1/2 tank at the moment.
They would charge me £90 to tell me what they think is going on.
I would expect a thing like this really is just after sales advice not something to make money out of people. Of course it could also actually have a problem...
I blipped up the motorway this morning on the work run, kept it in 4th revs around 2.5 / 3K ~60mph. Don't think its still long enough to clear it.
I can get on there and head north so i think I'll try that when the roads are quieter, no point in rush hour....
If that fails then going to have to book it in i guess.... 

Edited by Gonzini

3 minutes ago, roottoot said:

First 30 minutes of a diagnosis is £60.   But then that is not a diagnosis if just checking soot.  £90 an hour including VAT sounds like they are a lower cost main dealer. 

She said £90. I asked if that was 1hr workshop time, got a bit of a vague yes....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, varooom said:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/262215-list-of-vcds-owners-previously-known-as-vag-com-vcp-owners/

It might be just as well to locate someone with newer VCDS to scan the car, or weigh up the cost of buying one yourself (at the cost of labour, it could pay for itself very quickly)

Cheers, couldn't see anyone near me on that list. If it doesn't sort itself out after a longer motorway blimp later tonight might extend the warranty while its still an option and book it in next week....

• Like 1

Gave it a good blast up the motorway yesterday evening. A3M is just off the M27 near me and a good clear run with no cameras, M27 is awful now where I am, cameras everywhere and not so smart motorway. Couldn't get any speed up or enough distance on there last couple of attempts on the morning work run. 
Managed to get nearly 60miles in which seems a lot, mainly 60 ~ 80mph kept it in 5th. Used more of the rev range changing up etc.
Revs have dropped back down to just under 1000rpm at present and the rougher running / hesitant performance seems much improved and dare i say it back to 'normal'...
Have to see how long it lasts, just done the shopping run and its still appears to be OK.
Couldn't get any E5 97 in Sainsburys though, all the pumps where dry. Just boring old E10.
I've heard some cars are having issues with E10, engine management lights coming on but no real fault. Clear it then comes back on weeks later.
Who knows!
Anyway, cheers. you guys have saved me a trip to the dealers & £90 (for now....) It has made me get the Skoda recovery renewed though, on the fence about the extended warranty. Confidence in the longer term reliability beyond the lapsed warranty isn't really high. 
Why the dealers didn't say to try that first i don't know. 
See how it pans out from here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

Because it doesn't let the stealership empty your wallet into their's. ;) 

I know, bit out of order i think when its just a 'normal' cycle the car goes through.
Guess it depends who you talk to. If I'd of gone in there in person and spoke directly to someone other than the front desk might of got a different answer to some degree.
I might have to look into getting a newer OBDII adapter / software so can look myself. I used to on the old mk2 Fabia, got a cheapo bluetooth one kicking about somewhere that used to work fine for checking fault codes with that.
Don't know where the port is on this one, not looked into it.

Oh, having looked a number of times at the dash warning lights mine doesn't have the Particulate filter warning lamp K331.
Just EPC & Exhaust emissions warning lamp K83 (looks like an engine?)

Edited by Gonzini

Your port will likely be driver side, on the RHS of wheel down low.  If you struggle to get down as low as a snakes belly, you could put your phone on selfie mode and wave it around down there!

Glad to hear the car is back to normal, I assume the 1,000 rpm is roughly where it idles give or take.  If you're keeping the car for a few years, might be worth getting VCDS for it, pays for itself quite quickly compared to a few dealer trips.

49 minutes ago, varooom said:

Your port will likely be driver side, on the RHS of wheel down low.  If you struggle to get down as low as a snakes belly, you could put your phone on selfie mode and wave it around down there!

Glad to hear the car is back to normal, I assume the 1,000 rpm is roughly where it idles give or take.  If you're keeping the car for a few years, might be worth getting VCDS for it, pays for itself quite quickly compared to a few dealer trips.

On the mk2 it was behind a removable panel in the area you suggest. I'll have a rummage for it at some point.
The jury's out still whether the 'feature' has done it thing for me. I'll definitely drive it a bit different moving on, i just poodle along trying to save fuel and the revs never get that high. I forget on a smaller engine that they generally like a bit more of a work out.
I think the idle is back to where it was, probably around 900 / 950rpm. It definitely sounds back in the area were it should be.
The rev counter needle behaviour was weird as well while this was going on. It would sit just above 1000 at idle while moving but when the speed dropped to say 10mph or stopped it would suddenly jump up to just under 1500 with no discernible change in engine note.
I used to use the free VCDS just to read fault codes on the VW Bora. Had to buy another interface with the mk2 Fabia which was bluetooth and used Torque on the android tablet.
Worked well enough for some basic home diagnostics.
Actually the first one i brought was for a VW Golf mk3 GTI. It was running like **** one time and found the wires were broken on the lambda sensor from a previous half arsed repair. Total cost was £20 at the time for the OBD2 adapter.

Total guessing game without being able to look at fault codes and live readouts.

Edited by Gonzini
  • Like 1

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

2 hours ago, Gonzini said:

Why the dealers didn't say to try that first i don't know. 

As I've found on here some people don't get the concept of the "Italian tune-up" and think it means driving like a lunatic and/or thrashing the car to death so it takes a lot of explaining and a professional would be at risk if a customer misunderstands and blames them for something stupid they do and/or any damage to car or otherwise.  I've been on both sides, being a member of the public of course and trying to help customers with advice of what they could try for themselves for free and sometimes the saying "no good deed goes unpunished" is correct so it makes you selective or hesitate to offer that type of advice.

Here's some advice you can't punish me for whether you take it or not  - I've no idea what fuel Sainsbury's use but its the cleaners you also want, in my old car I often and frequently used the higher octane fuels for the additional cleaner additives and it seemed to work very well judging by the condition of of the carbs when I took them apart and how the car ran when using them.

Try Tesco Momentem, Shell V-Power, Esso Synergy Supreme+, Jet Ultra, Texaco Supreme, BP Ultimate (my least favourite) - all for their additional  cleaning additives, you will still be best giving occasional Italian tune-up runs too.  Try a couple of tankfuls, and not just a couple of top-ups of a few litres each time, and see if there's any improvement after using a couple of tankfulls.

All of those are up to E5 and some, depending on where in the country may be zero ethanol - but I thought I'd read that the Fabia engines, earlier models at least ran well with ethanol(?).

Supermarkets don't always sell fuel at low prices now - but the E5 (labelled) fuel will be more expensive than the E10 (usually, a fairly local station had V-Power at less than the cost of Tesco E10 as I discovered when driving by it after filling up at Tescos main store).

Edited by nta16
spelling
  • Like 1

Don't just rely on fault codes or the lack of them, the computers programs rely on parameters, you have your own computer which works on parameters too, your senses, knowledge and experience can tell you when there's something not quite right you don't want to dismiss this just because the computers don't give a fault code or give a code that seems unrelated.

It's been proven that VW, and others, computer programs shouldn't be fully trusted. 😉 😄   

Yeah, i get that. There's no predicting what antics people will get up to with this sort of thing.
I use the local Sainsburys just out of convenience and its the only local fuel that's not a complete rip off. 
Did try to fill up today with some of their 97 but all the pumps where shut off.
Next time I'll hunt some down. I'll keep an eye on the prices meanwhile at the other stations i pass. There's 3 others on the work run, Shell is just taking the **** though i noticed so stopped filling up there for now. There is an Esso & BP i also pass though.
Prices seem to vary a lot on location. Up in Sleaford, Lincolnshire there used to be a cartel operation going on with fuel prices. But now its cheaper than down south by about 10p a L having spoke to the folks yesterday.

12 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Don't just rely on fault codes or the lack of them, the computers programs rely on parameters, you have your own computer which works on parameters too, your senses, knowledge and experience can tell you when there's something not quite right you don't want to dismiss this just because the computers don't give a fault code or give a code that seems unrelated.

It's been proven that VW, and others, computer programs shouldn't be fully trusted. 😉 😄   

Oh yes, usually a fault code is a side effect of another fault, I've done a bit in the past but tend to not want to too involved under the bonnet these days.
We did fix one of the guys at work Ford Focus Sport dash the other day though. Resoldered the main connector on the cluster, sometimes wouldn't start and just doing weird ****.  If you bumped the dash it would get it going again, until it didn't :)

Its just handy to have a look at any fault codes that do appear for some feedback that there is something amiss.

Yes seeing, and deleting, error codes can be very useful, live data even better.  Not telling Grandma how to suck eggs again but as you know the state of the car battery has always been important but with the the more modern cars the state of the battery is even more important, these VWs seem to throw up all sorts of unexpected error codes and warnings.  Not that I'm saying it's your present issue.

I've no idea how those that only use cars for city or very local journeys are going to fair let alone in the future those that use old cars to fulfill the modern obsession for everything to be delivered even very locally are going to get it done.  My wife's 2015 Fabia some days only does journeys of less than a few miles and I don't get to give it any blow-out runs I don't know how the 2019 model would cope with that overall.

She only runs it on various supermarkets' E10, well normally, even she has put some V-Power in when near or passing the station that had it at such good price (you hope it's genuine!) but not enough or repeated to be of any real advantage.  Once I got her to put in a (7/8ths) fill up (Esso Supreme) with the intention of me being able to do a few blow-out runs but it didn't happen as I didn't need the car.

• Like 2