ECU update?

Car went in for it’s DSG service last week and the dealership informed me that they would also be doing an ECU software update.

Anyone else had this carried out recently and any the wiser as to what the update is for?

The car is a FL vRS TDI DSG and was last serviced about 9 months ago to give an idea of how recently the update has been released.

• Like 1

Normally the dealers like to be very hush about what they do when it comes to software, I think its partially because they dont actually have a clue themselves, just a technical bulletin to say update this car with x and y.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Same here. They couldn't tell me what the update was for, or if there were any potential unforeseen effects.

Not sure if it's a coincidence, or as a result of the DSG oil change they also did, but the DSG driving modes now do nothing :o

i.e. pootle along in E at 1250rpm, pop it into sport, no downshift, nothing, behaves exactly the same.

Economy also seems slower to upshift through the gears too.

I'm unsure if fuel economy also adversely effected, seems like it, but not enough data yet to confirm.

There does seem to be an issue with faulty oil pumps in (some?) DQ381 boxes - VW have TCU updates labelled 23x4 and more recently 34x1 that apparently try to diagnose and flag problematic units with a fault code.

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/41966-dsg-re-call/

It's a topic I keep at the back of my mind, as I'd expect Skoda could be similarly affected. I haven't seen any reports, but wonder if that is just because Skoda haven't rolled out equivalent TCU updates yet?

Not sure if this is what you've had, but I have seen some of the 23x4 reports mention poor driveability after the update - sluggish behaviour, sport feeling like drive, drive like eco etc.

By "Optimized" do they perhaps mean "Utterly Ruined"?

@CookieMonster87Do you have anything funny going on where S mode has stopped behaving properly? Not downshifting when you go into it?

It also feels to me like E is slow to upshift on my car since the update, it's happy to sit at higher revs.

To be honest, since it’s DSG service, I haven’t driven the car that much to notice a change. Then again I haven’t been switching between driving modes.

I’ve got a long commute this week so I’ll have a play with the driving modes and get back to you with any observations.

• Like 2

So having taken the car for a long drive using both Normal and Sport modes (I never use Eco) I can’t say as I’ve noticed a great change if any.

In Sport the throttle is more responsive and the car holds the revs higher when using the throttle. It’ll change up around 3.5-4k rpm unless I hold the throttle for a long period. In Normal it’ll change a lot sooner unless I put my foot to the floor.

I have noticed that when in Sport with CC activated the car will shift through to 6th fairly quickly. I don’t recall it doing this before as I used to complain about how high it held the revs when cruising.

I don’t recall if the car downshifted when I changed to Sport unless I was on the throttle however I did think it changed down quicker when the car slowed.

These observations may purely be because I’m now looking for it as opposed to not really giving it much thought/attention before.

Hopefully someone will come along with a bit more info on this, ideally someone who’s booked in for a DSG service that can do a thorough before and after comparison.

• Like 1

I'm increasingly sure something is wrong with my car.

The driving modes seem to make zero difference, other than E allows for coating.

Oddly "Offroad" mode does give changes, if engaged at low revs it will downshift in the way similar to how  Sport mode *should*

Dealers have extracted log files and I await their response.