Skoda Fabia 1.4TDi sidelight bulb problem

Have had the offside front side light bulb go on our Fabia MkII TDi. I recall my garage described this was difficult for them to access last time it happened but they just managed it without major disassembly. This time I was recommended to try Halfords bulb fitting service who charge a flat fee (£8) per bulb which presumably for them averages out across easy and downright difficult/fiddly bulbs to change. After approx. half an hour the most pleasant young man who attempted to change my bulb concluded he was unable to even get the old one out (by hand or even with bent nosed pliers). They refunded fully my bulb purchase and fitting (very fair) and suggested I may try their other branch 10 miles up the road which has full workshop facilities. I asked them to call and indicate whether they would attempt the bulb change for their usual fee but was a little taken aback when they said they felt the bulb may have got hot, arced and essentially welded itself to the light housing! Suggested the other Halfords may need to remove the front bumper to free the headlight housing completely to allow access and that a new light housing would likely be needed. Suggesting 1-1.5 hours labour plus the new light fitting. Around £80-£90 for labour and £180 overall! Suffice to say I think I may recourse to my usual garage and stump up their cost for a new bulb.

Despite my standard man-sized hands and lack of dexterity/practical skill I am sure I will not be alone in this problem. The difficulty is caused by the positioning of the diesel fuel filter right where you need to be able to access the back of the bulb. 

Would appreciate any comments or suggestions as to how I may be best to proceed to get what should rightfully be a minor job done without a major cost

it is HIGHLY unlikely you would need a new headlight even "if" they remove the bumper to remove the headlight..............simple.

The side light bulb just pulls out, they can be sticky if been in there a few years, but it should be possible to do without removing headlight.

You could "release" the fuel filter, then the housing itself as well to gain more room if it's certainly needed.

Edited by UrbanPanzer

Came across this situation in Halfords as well but mine was a 1.9TDI which is the same situation, landed up removing the filter bracket (torx bolts) and pulling to one side, Ithen managed to get my hand into the headlamp space and grabed the holder and wires with my hand and gave a good pull backwards, the holder and bulb came out, before refitting I drilled a hole in the holder and looped a zip tie through the holes to make a ring that you could pull again when needed, I did replace both bulbs for led ones and they lasted  12 years and were still going when the car was written off due to an accident, you can remove the headlamp but the bumper bracket has to be undone a few turns to allow the bumper to move down a bit otherwise if you force the headlamp out you will crack the bumper, the other method is the Skoda way and it involves taking wheel off inner liner and part of the bottm cover to get your hand up under the wng not recommened, by the way I have rewally large hands and did manage to get at the holder with minimal damage to my hand

4 hours ago, belvedere72 said:

they said they felt the bulb may have got hot, arced and essentially welded itself to the light housing!

When is this guy appearing on CBBC, and which children's story will he be reading?

• Like 1

I never knew that it was essential that hot bulbs should weld themselves to the housings, what misfortune will you suffer if they dont? 😆

Try lubricating them with some essential oil to which the same question applys!!!

I had the same problem with my Fabia 1.4tdi. I bought a set of picks off of eBay for about £3 and it is possible to hook the sidelight holder and pull it backwards. No need to pull the wires as this may cause damage. The holders were very stiff and required a very strong pull but they do come out. There is no need to move the diesel filter. 

Screenshot_20221116-120135.png

its always worth putting a very thin smear of Vaseline on the bulb sides and the bulb holder before re fitting to give it a bit of lubrication it helps to get them out at a later date