Advice on condition of Skoda Fabia

Naulochus

So - I have a 2002 Skoda Fabia.  The garage has been warning me for the last couple of years that it was probably getting to the time where I would need a new car, but I've stubbornly hunted down replacement parts and got the repairs done to keep it going.  I put it in for a lookover a few weeks ahead of its MOT, and the garage have advised calling it a day, giving me the following list:

1. Advise- o/s/r road wheel corroded inside ( leaking)
  2. Chassis corroded at n/s/r  suspension mtg (weld)
  3. Rear axle mtg bushes worn
  4. Excess free travel at h/brake
  5. Advise various oil leaks underside of car
  6. Brake pedal fluctuating
  7. Engine management light on

The windows are also erratic, but I didn't tell them that when I handed it in for the lookover because I was hoping it would get through the MOT.  The corrosion seems to be what's worrying them the most.  They said they could patch it up, but it would be patching.

This was my first car after my test, and I'm honestly heartbroken at the prospect of letting it go, so I'd really appreciate some objective advice from people knowledgeable about the car.  Anything would be appreciated.

Nothing's insurmountable, but my thoughts would be the same as what the garage are saying, and the rust is what will govern if it's worth doing or not. Do you know if it's actually rusted at the axle mount, or if it's the inner or outer sill making it fail because it's within a certain distance of the mount? If it's an inner or outer sill, it could probably be patched making it "ok" for a while, as an alternative to the time and expense of putting a new sill section in. If it's the floor at the axle mount, then yeah, big job. 

I think dad's managed to keep his X-reg back from hitting that point for a few years with a lot of wire brushing and repainting. 

Thanks for replying :)

His actual words were 'I'm afraid you'll go over a speed bump and the suspension will drop out of the car, or that if that you were to be in a bump and someone hit the back of the car it wouldn't provide the protection it's supposed to'.  Iirc, I think it was corrosion under the car?

1 hour ago, Naulochus said:

His actual words were 'I'm afraid you'll go over a speed bump and the suspension will drop out of the car, or that if that you were to be in a bump and someone hit the back of the car it wouldn't provide the protection it's supposed to'.  Iirc, I think it was corrosion under the car?

I would be amazed if the car has rusted that badly in a year, I'd get a second opinion if I were you. The garage is scaremongering, I'm just not sure why.

• Like 1

It might be because they know I'm pretty attached to the car and unlikely to let it go unless they can really definitively say it would be dangerous to continue.

I'm not sure if weather and salt could contribute?  I'm up in Scotland - so a lot of rain and a good couple of months where they salt the roads a lot.

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

9 hours ago, Naulochus said:

I'm not sure if weather and salt could contribute?  I'm up in Scotland - so a lot of rain and a good couple of months where they salt the roads a lot.

Does it also sit unused a lot and parked somewhere exposed and always in the same place, position and facing the same way.

How bad it is now may also depend on how bad it was last year and/or MoT and how strict or leniently (within rules of course) it was inspected.

My car was out in two winter days of very moist/damp/mist and then not moved for a number of weeks and come the spring servicing (farting about getting dirty and messy) doing the 6-month service work and checks I noticed far more rust than 6 months earlier and much more progression than any other winter or year.

Perhaps the garage are laying it on a bit thick for some reason but perhaps it might be for a good reason or perhaps they just would prefer not to work on your car.  I'd go for a couple more opinions as I've generally only had bad experiences of the motor trade and find many to be almost as bad as each other.  Of course there are also bad customers, I know that too.

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

21 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

I would be amazed if the car has rusted that badly in a year, I'd get a second opinion if I were you. The garage is scaremongering, I'm just not sure why.

The thing I've found on Mk1 fabias is the rust proofing is largely really, really good good, like the standard of work Karmann did on Mk2 Sciroccos and Mk1 Golf cabrios. Like those cars though, but when moisture creeps in behind it, the damage is done before it's noticeable. There could well be an element of "don't really want the job" at play, not always for bad reasons. I sometimes get asked if I can bodge a patch onto a car to get it through MOT, I don't like doing it because a) I hate welding, and b) I know it's going to fail and leave a bigger mess sooner or later. 

Edited by StevesTruck
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

and they don't get extra time on the job to spray jizz

I'm sure some of them manage a quick one in the toilet.

• Haha 1