Octavia 1.6l restoration

makymak

Well, my nephew decided to move on and let the injured Octy at my hands! Practically, the car should be written off. It has 370k kilometers on the clock and the damage is costly, including the airbags and seat belts. 

received_1378677499540620.thumb.jpeg.20dd56a1a046a9c5988ecb50fdde6aed.jpegreceived_513063194122820.thumb.jpeg.0838bf8ccc43efba716d93e1c6b803d0.jpeg

But the engine has a lot of juice left and I'm quite stubborn to give it up. So, I will try to restore it and even better, to make some mods. 

I definitely will need some help so can I count on here? Hope not to be boring, asking all these questions. 

It's one more Skoda saved from the scrap yard, returning on the road. It's a reason to be happy, isn't it? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning! 

I have collected all the parts needed for the restoration. 

Unfortunately, the first major problem just appeared. 

I don't have the color code. I miss the original books of the car and the sticker at the boot is... well... damaged... 

DSC_0023.thumb.JPG.e9ab01530c0f271448b63905e1dd87b6.JPG

The only recognizable code is the "BE" at the end of the line. Can this code give any info (I'm afraid no, it seems to be the interior color code)? 

If anyone could help I would be grateful! 

Thanks! 

Edited by makymak

I just got the answer from the dealer and they said they don't keep data from such old vehicles. 

My only solution is to try the 3 codes @bigjohngave above or to use a spectrograph.

If anyone has a 2001 diamond silver Octavia and can give me the exact code, I would appreciate it! 

Exactly what I done! With the base code 9102 the paintshop found the alternative shades (there are 4) and matched the best. 

Another question (one of many coming!!!) Do you know the part number of the torx screws that hold the headlights? 

Yesterday, I decided to replace the airbags and the dashboard. I noticed some pink powder under the a/c vent to the footwell. I put my finger into the vent and it was wet with coolant. Oops, here we go... 

It's a @#&*ing job to take out the climate mechanism. Some screws are fasten from the engine compartment and guess what, the intake manifold is exactly in front of them. I had to remove the throttle body to give me some space. Inside the dash, it was a hell... I guess the designers hated the mechanics. 

Anyway, the mechanism is out and I replaced the heating core. The old one (was the oem) had busted. It was full of leaks... 

Now, I have to put everything back. Yes, I know: installation is placed in the reverse order... 

Quick question: are there any original markings on the steering column to place the steering wheel at the correct position? I found some marks (a triangle) on the face of the column and the wheel was fixed at this mark but when fully turned left or right, there is some difference at the two ends. Turning the wheel left it needs 1 and a half turns plus some mm more while turning the wheel right it needs 1 and a half minus some mm. Is it correct or someone has... revisited the area and placed the wheel (and the marks) slightly offset? 

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress 

received_941116823461942.thumb.jpeg.ed27fdcc5ff6c69b6f335b03db5529f5.jpeg

It needs a lot of work more but who cares? Next job to fix the bonnet and the rear door. I have to glue the door strip, too. 

• Like 1

Some more progress 

From this point 

received_1580719555711914.thumb.jpeg.b35846cc05002607c2be945bf8715372.jpeg

received_546646260823769.thumb.jpeg.58333387d13b7bbd24f372f5d0ac034b.jpeg

To this state

received_1227640918186699.thumb.jpeg.a06ca21306076f6cfe335e6fa3015d79.jpeg

received_1521702161670369.thumb.jpeg.7e7d6b47ac04ec2ca5170a68e244a55e.jpeg

A plus: since the whole dash was out for replacement (airbag deployment) I decided to add the cruise control. The 1.6l petrol has the ecu loom ready (like the diesels) so only the stalk loom was needed and with no dash in place - piece of cake! 

Technically, from this point on, the car can return on the roads. But it needs some more TLC. The best yet to come! 

Edited by makymak
  • Like 2
  • Love it! 1