Saving a MK1 Octavia VRS Police Car, FJ54 WYP

a1topdog

• Administrators
15 hours ago, VRS_White_Hatch said:

So come on then, spill the beans .... Do the Police chip 'em or what? 

None of the production models were remapped as they all come from the same factory. They simply got the machines to paint them white without too much interruption to the production line once offered to the Police. If all the forces got their orders in on time they would get a white one, but it was only a very short run as far as I'm aware. The Police will never have a car modified (remapped) due to insurance and safety to which they would be liable.

Looking forward to the progress!

Great to see the photos of the car in service. Looking forward to following the thread! :)

17 hours ago, J.R. said:

Anyone giving a MK1 the love it needs to keep it on the road whether it be a 90hp SDi or a VRS gets my vote and admiration :thumbup:

Agreed 101%.

• Like 2

As J.R said, it's great to see someone willing to look after a Mk1.  I'll be following this thread with interest and am keen to see what you do with the car.:thumbup:

• Like 2

Started the interior decontamination today. Seats out and scrubbed, then removed the carpet and underlay as damp. I will look for replacements so didnt bother cleaning them. 

The seats not in great condition, but I will look at getting them repaired later. 

I have a better steering wheel so will swap it, but look at the dirt on the old one 🤮

Some before shots

IMG_20210224_195012.jpg

IMG_20210307_111722.jpg

IMG_20210307_112059.jpg

Edited by a1topdog

I'm busy researching the cars police history and have been liaising with some officers who remember these from new. They have been invaluable in advising me what equipment it was fitted with.

An example of this was a mag light and charger in the passenger footwell. I have found the original mounting point and sourced the correct light and charger. 

Screenshot_20210307_193549.jpg

IMG_20210307_152903.jpg

IMG_20210307_152917.jpg

• Like 2

Another mystery was the glovebox. It's covered in what looks like yellow paint. I was going to change it, but then one of the officers informed me that it was caused by the yellow road marker crayon/ chalk that they use when investigating a road incident. So I will leave it as part of the cars history.

IMG_20210307_111941.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent posts, thank you. The floor of your Octi looks factory fresh, amazing.

Really like the Police detais you're including, very interesting.

Great idea keeping the glovebox chalk marks, although not sure I could stop myself from cleaning them up! :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/03/2021 at 19:03, a1topdog said:

Carpet shot, heal pad worn out, so will source a better example.

Cant believe how heavy the underlay is, it must weight 20kgs

IMG_20210307_111729.jpg

IMG_20210307_150310.jpg

That's 10kg of underlay, and 10kg's of filth.

Great thread. The seats clean up really well. 

One of the many little jobs to sort on the car was the drivers door handle. Sometimes it wouldn't spring back into the closed position. I decided to take the whole handle mechanism out to investigate. 

The door glass has to be removed first so that you can remove the inside part of the handle mechanism.  Next I popped off the two grommets in the side of the door to get to the screws olding in the door lock and retaining ring.  These do not need to be remove completely, just wound back a bit.

With the lock removed pull the handle open and make a note of the cable position and pop it off. 

IMG_20210326_192408.jpg

IMG_20210326_202817.jpg

Edited by a1topdog