DSG reluctant to go into 6th.

Superb Mk111, late 2015, diesel, 150,000 miles. DSG oil changed every 40K. 6 gears. Problem: when driving at around 60 +mph in E or N mode the gearbox stays in 5th gear.  When I put it manually into 6th it happily stays there. Push the gearstick back to auto and it reverts to 5th gear.  I am not in S mode. It all works correctly when cold but after about 10 minutes acts as above. Car scanned with my OBDEleven and "no trouble codes found". 

02 Transmission

System description: DQ250-6F MQB
    Software number: 0D9300041B
    Software version: 4803
    Hardware number: 02E927770AQ
    Hardware version: H53
    Serial number: TFK01506010660
    ODX name: EV_TCMDQ250021
    ODX version: 001001
    Long coding: 0014

Trouble codes:
        No trouble codes found

Could this be a an indication that the gearbox needs a software or hardware update?  If so, is this something that only a Skoda dealer can do?

Thank you in advance for any help and assistance that you can give.  

Note, I have spent two evenings searching previous threads. 

These are available for the gearbox

1831137459_DSGFlash.png.3d0e749930f2dff8529b747092c7ef6e.png

But you won't be able to do this with VCDS, needs other tools/software.

Not saying again this applies to you, but there is a Service campaign 34H7 that is about to run out this year, TPI 2047188

It does list the gearbox you have, but you will need to ring a Skoda dealer to get them to check your VIN.

2047188.1 34H7 Replace 6 speed DSG gearbox.pdf

Edited by varooom
Additional Information
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MChris said:

Vroom, am I right to assume that this is a paid for service?

Dealer's would charge for flashing, if they even do it (independent workshops are probably more willing)

The service campaign 34H7 might apply, but not with your symptoms.

I'm getting similar behaviour in this very cold spell, it's as if the gearbox holds a lower gear to help the engine warm up. It goes back to normal after about 20 minutes of driving from a cold start at -9 degrees.

26 minutes ago, D402 said:

I'm getting similar behaviour in this very cold spell, it's as if the gearbox holds a lower gear to help the engine warm up. It goes back to normal after about 20 minutes of driving from a cold start at -9 degrees.

Standard behaviour as emissions control system is trying to get it warm enough.   It is a problem with Diesel engines in cold weather, they need to use lots of fuel to try and heat up the huge lump of metal.

On the other problem (Op), don’t think it will be DSG related, but again the emissions system battling a long term build up of soot and ash.   Basically will be trying to create extra heat to meet emissions parameters even if it means ignoring more economical driving.

5 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

It is a problem with Diesel engines in cold weather, they need to use lots of fuel to try and heat up the huge lump of metal.

Yes, it's a big hit on fuel consumption. Initial warm up is quite quick though, especially with the electric demist heater; in fact, I wonder if it's keeping the revs up to provide power for this, idle speed is very high too.

5 hours ago, D402 said:

Yes, it's a big hit on fuel consumption. Initial warm up is quite quick though, especially with the electric demist heater; in fact, I wonder if it's keeping the revs up to provide power for this, idle speed is very high too.

Sounds like it's doing a regen to me. Have you had the soot levels checked? 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, MChris said:

How do I check the soot levels checked?  Would a decent garage plug in tester do it?  Or even the OBDEleven?

You can look around for MVB (Measurement Value Blocks) with your tool.

Take a look at this for what information you are looking for.

On 16/12/2022 at 11:19, SurreyJohn said:

It is a problem with Diesel engines in cold weather, they need to use lots of fuel to try and heat up the huge lump of metal.

That is not really the reason for it, they are so much more thermodynamically efficient compared to a petrol engine that much less waste heat is generated this means a longer warm up period and at light loads in cold weather with the heater on full the engine may not even reach or maintain the operating temperature hence all the extra gubbins like sliding shroud water pumps and auxiliary circulation pumps and circuits.

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That is not really the reason for it, they are so much more thermodynamically efficient compared to a petrol engine that much less waste heat is generated this means a longer warm up period and at light loads in cold weather with the heater on full the engine may not even reach or maintain the operating temperature hence all the extra gubbins like sliding shroud water pumps and auxiliary circulation pumps and circuits.

Exactly, especially with direct injection as a lot less heat contacts the cylinder walls. Older indirect injection engines produced plenty of heat, MPG suffered unfortunately. 

Thank you to all that have passed on their wisdom.  This Forum is truly a wonderful site.  The problem has gone away (for now at least!).  I am inclined to think it was regen related inasmuch despite doing a few 100 mile journeys the car was trying to regen on smaller trips.  Anyway, I ignored the problem and discovered that although it dropped into 5th unexpectedly, I found that if I let it stay there for a while it would drop into 6th eventually.  It now behaves as it should, running up all the gears and settling into 6th. Here's hoping that the GB continues it's good behaviour.

• Like 1