Changing xenon bulbs to LED

I decided to replace the stock OSRAM cbi xenon bulbs with D+380 LED bulbs.  

The change has cost me more than it should have to take the old anchor with "clips" and it is necessary to remove the wheel and the wheel arch.

The change has disappointed me a bit, because there is an improvement in intensity and color in the low beams but in the long ones there is no improvement.

For use in the city or in urban areas, it is an improvement, but for motorway trips, for me, I do not see them as appropriate since in my case it causes me fatigue when I cannot see far.  The bulbs reach far but without power, so you have to strain your eyes, since the light does not end like a xenon, but it reaches but without seeing anything.

Summarizing my experience, D+380 bulbs tested in different countries, 35w using the same standard ballasts. Better light and color, more intensity on short beams but ineffective on long beams.

Long lights with led fog lights activated and short without them.

IMG20221210110341.jpg

IMG20221210110323.jpg

IMG_20221211_103239.jpg

IMG_20221211_103612.jpg

IMG_20221211_103128.jpg

Edited by Gabrielem
  • Like 1

It's about finding balance between main and full beam , using mechanical adjustment. Because they are bi-xenon(led in your installation), they share same optics. If you have long vision with main beams your full beams light pattern will be to high to light the road surface. If you adjust full beam to light the road, you lose visibility with main beams.

I see that you gained light power with LED.  

Edited by Paikesejanku

7 hours ago, Paikesejanku said:

It's about finding balance between main and full beam , using mechanical adjustment. Because they are bi-xenon(led in your installation), they share same optics. If you have long vision with main beams your full beams light pattern will be to high to light the road surface. If you adjust full beam to light the road, you lose visibility with main beams.

I see that you gained light power with LED.  

True, but on the road LED bulbs fall short at speeds over 140 km/h.  Using dipped beam, in the city or residential areas or between small population centers they are very good, better than xenon, but for all uses I think xenon is better.  I don't know how the stock LED lights work or the Matrix LED, which I think is spectacular.

I have made the mistake of changing the LED bulbs with new Osram Xenarc Classic ones, and what a great disaster.

They are even worse than the Original HBI that was originally installed. I think I'll go back to LED even if I sacrifice a bit on high beam, but I gain a lot, a lot with low beam.

one of these: https://www.lumise.eu/auxiliary-lights/lazer-linear-18-elite-led-light-bar/p/8020100196/

pics of the light output (which are kind of negative in comparison to real life) are here: https://valovertailu.com/valovertailu-2021-2022/

Will take some pics myself when I'm allowed to drive again.... but I've seen reflections from 2km, which I think is OK. It's a world away from the "flip up the mask" of the bi-xenon: switching bi-xenons to high beam doesn't add more light, they just stop blocking the top part. My linear 18 is also definitively not connected to CAN, but with some direct connection - I'll have to grab the wiring diagram when i have some time and take a look at how they have done it.

It's so good the wife's car is getting one. And I want to replace the Comet Xenons on the old car with one, too.

. Bret

18 minutes ago, brettikivi said:

uno de estos: https://www.lumise.eu/auxiliary-lights/lazer-linear-18-elite-led-light-bar/p/8020100196/

Las fotos de la salida de luz (que son un poco negativas en comparación con la vida real) están aquí: https://valovertailu.com/valovertailu-2021-2022/

Tomaré algunas fotos yo mismo cuando se me permita conducir de nuevo... pero he visto reflejos de 2 km, lo que creo que está bien. Está a un mundo de distancia del "levantar la máscara" del bi-xenón: cambiar los bi-xenones a luz alta no agrega más luz, simplemente dejan de bloquear la parte superior. Mi linear 18 tampoco está definitivamente conectado a CAN, pero con alguna conexión directa. Tendré que tomar el diagrama de cableado cuando tenga algo de tiempo y ver cómo lo han hecho.

Es tan bueno que el auto de la esposa tenga uno. Y también quiero reemplazar los Comet Xenon del auto viejo por uno.

. bret

wow, in Spain it is impossible to take is in a car.  Only 4x4s carry it after approval, with a project signed by an engineer, ITV and a note on the car's technical sheet.

This is ref 45 and e-marked. Why would this not be legal? ECE says it's fine and it's compliant with the reference number, i.e. the total light output allowed may not be more than ref 100 - and the standard bi-xenon is 17,5 each side. Total of 35+45 = 80.

It wouldn't surprise me that there needs to be an entry into your part 1 document, but I would definitely ask at your local ITV centre. The results are awesome. 

. Bret

2 hours ago, Paikesejanku said:

Qué tan calientes están esos LED y cómo se resuelve el enfriamiento (generalmente los LED muy brillantes tienen ventiladores). ¿Era plug and play (enchufe original del balasto) o necesitaba hacer cableado adicional?

Remove and put without failures and without changing ballasts.  They have fans, so far no problem.  Much more light than xenon in short.  In long loses a bit.

On 22/12/2022 at 18:34, Gabrielem said:

I have made the mistake of changing the LED bulbs with new Osram Xenarc Classic ones, and what a great disaster.

They are even worse than the Original HBI that was originally installed. I think I'll go back to LED even if I sacrifice a bit on high beam, but I gain a lot, a lot with low beam.

Why did you choose the standard Osram Xenarc's? If reverting back to xenon (HID), I'd have least gone for Osram Night Breakers...

Headlights are sealed, and even the bulbs have fans, it won't get fresh air into the light. How hot does it get when you have been using the lights at night? Have you checked the temperatures? I am thinking LED replacement but I am worried about high temperature related problems.

7 hours ago, Paikesejanku said:

Headlights are sealed, and even the bulbs have fans, it won't get fresh air into the light. How hot does it get when you have been using the lights at night? Have you checked the temperatures? I am thinking LED replacement but I am worried about high temperature related problems.

+1

I'm not comfortable putting an aftermarket LED bulb, inside a headlight unit not designed for the heat it generates.

To top it off, to then seal the headlight with the headlight cover, thus not allowing the LED fan to expel the generated heat!!

No thanks.

For short drives, it won't b an issue.  However for long drives, it won't b good. 

I occasionally do long drives (2-3 hrs) at night - i don't want my headlight units internals to melt, or worse case - catch fire!!

I'm happy with the upgraded Phillips XtremeVision Gen2 D3S xenon bulbs I've put in mine.

https://youtu.be/fkRcEJIVlJU