Oil topup quantity 1.5l petrol

gwm97e

Any idea what quantity of oil is represented by the difference of the top and bottom markings on the dipstick on a 1.5 l petrol engine ? The 'check oil level' warning came on whilst i was driving last night, and didn't go out when I stopped and restarted the engine, but hasn't come on today. There is oil in the marked area on the dipstick, but there's absolutely nowhere round home that's flat, I'll have to wait until i'm back in the office tomorrow, and i do have a litre of oil available but I don't want to over fill it

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/498324-oil

I remember your post here.

The 1 litre might be enough, but maybe not. 

Best you find a flat place and dip the oil cold / warm and see it is on the Cross Hatch Area.

Then when you get the engine Oil to Normal Operating Temp check it.  Engine stopped for maybe 4-5 minutes.

You want it topped up to the top of the Cross Hatch / Area A as shown in the Owners Manual. 

Is it a litre on 0w 20 FS IV you have, so VW508 00 / 509 00 Spec? 

?

When was the Oil changed last. Or checked by you,

Is it on Fixed Servicing or Variable? 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/502494-low-oil-at-5000-miles

Edited by toot

3 minutes ago, toot said:

The 1 litre might be enough, but maybe not. 

Best you find a flat place and dip the oil cold / warm and see it is on the Cross Hatch Area.

Then when you get the engine Oil to Normal Operating Temp check it.  Engine stopped for maybe 4-5 minutes.

You want it topped up to the top of the Cross Hatch / Area A as shown in the Owners Manual. 

Is it a litre on 0w 20 FS IV you have, so VW508 00 / 509 00 Spec? 

?

When was the Oil changed last. Is it on Fixed Servicing or Variable? 

150 hp 1.5 petrol (ACT, so 504 00) on fixed servicing, Oil changed last June. Depending on where I park it outside the house the oil is near the top or the bottom of the hatched area on the dipstick. I've put half a litre in and I'll probably end up putting the other half in when I can check it on the flat,at work tomorrow

• Like 1

Checking with the oil hot when at a filling station is usually good for getting a flat area, near where the tyre inflation device usually.

Actually Fixed Oil Services could be VW502 00 with a 1.5 TSI ACT.  

The Recommended oil for your engine is VW508 00 / 509 00 for Fixed or Variable.   0w 20 FS IV

But you will do no harm with the VW 504 00 / 507 00 you are using for Fixed or Variable.   0w 30 FS III or 5w 30 FS III

Screenshot_20180414-061447.webp

image.webp.b48e6771853b15b770e956a10ec5660b.webp.2721e5e275bfd9c6b35e39bef234c58e.webp

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

The engine oil change is a total of 4.3 litres so not likely you will need a full litre for the top up.

Here is a better image of the dipstick ranges than the online manual.

I would say if you are halfway through the B area, I would not top up myself.

Then check after a month (earlier if you have concerns) in the same spot, leave the engine 3 minutes before you check to allow it to drain down.

1564118064_OilStickMarks.png.f9dfdfa66935370812197a8a8096b316.png

• Like 3

Area A does go onto the flat above the cross hatch.

With a 1.4 TSI Twincharger with 3.6 litres capacity or a 1.2 TSI Euro 5 with 3.6 then 3.9 litre capacity the Low Oil Warning light coming on could be when the oil was more than 1 litre below capacity.    Ps.  Lower level shown in pic of as cold dip engine not started. Higher level same oil once up to an indicated 90 *oC and stopped a few minutes. 

post-86161-0-24723600-1446204577.jpg

post-86161-0-06277400-1446204589.jpg

post-86161-0-17131500-1446204596.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

As @toot says, you need to get an accurate level reading first - this can only be done when car is on level ground. Consequences of significant under or overfilling oil are equally bad for the engine. I would suggest adding no more than 1/4 litre until you can get the car to somewhere the level can properly checked. 

• Like 3