Heated Seats Retrofit

Hi Jack,

That's pretty good going, yeah the centre console can be a pig if you have never done one before.

I'm sure it will be ok, mine worked first time, and the correct way round too, bonus, otherwise it's just a case of fetching the A/C controller out and switching the wires round. Yeah take your time and it will be ok.

Yeah it is like a rats nest until you start feeding the wires where they are supposed to be going to, yeah them kufatec looms are rather good, well the MK5 is the chassis for the Octavia anyway, that's exactly how I would have run the wiring, the wiring is the easy bit,a part from coding it in:rofl:.

Trevor

3 minutes ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

That's pretty good going, yeah the centre console can be a pig if you have never done one before.

I'm sure it will be ok, mine worked first time, and the correct way round too, bonus, otherwise it's just a case of fetching the A/C controller out and switching the wires round. Yeah take your time and it will be ok.

Yeah it is like a rats nest until you start feeding the wires where they are supposed to be going to, yeah them kufatec looms are rather good, well the MK5 is the chassis for the Octavia anyway, that's exactly how I would have run the wiring, the wiring is the easy bit,a part from coding it in:rofl:.

Trevor

Yeah man! Have the back broke on it now! Just wiring and coding. Was your control relay on the drivers seat? Was going take the gamble and switch the wires around on the AC panel from the diagram as mine is the normal passenger relay position just to save myself time!

hoping the footwell lights look good too!

Jack

3 hours ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

Looking good, not sure where I put mine, it's been a long time since I did it, will have a look and tell you:biggrin:.

They should look ok, mine are ok in the front.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Thanks! I know that mk5gti diagram has the pins in one way but he had switched the relay to the drivers side so I was tempted to switch the pins on the reverse of what he done on the back of the AC panel, so the drivers and passenger controls might save time doing it!

Im going to use 6000k Osram W5W white leds as that’s what is in the rest of my interior. Never had a single one fail in the last 4 years and their extremely bright!

Jack

On 01/02/2023 at 22:07, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

Looking good, not sure where I put mine, it's been a long time since I did it, will have a look and tell you:biggrin:.

They should look ok, mine are ok in the front.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Mechanic is sort of messing me around so tempted now of just completing the job myself. Have it 99% done at this stage but not wired in. Wires are where they need to be so just matter of finishing it.

To start with, the CECM, what’s holding that in place? Is it two screws one pointing outward under the steering wheel and one on the outward facing fusebox frame? Also as I’ve two footwell light CECM cables, will both fit in the same pin you reckon?

I have 3 cables to go into the CECM, 2 into the fuse box, 3 into the climatronic unit, and 4 to ground. I’m good with the latter two just the CECM and fusebox concern me. Don’t want to end with shorts or fires😂😂

Fusebox, which ports did you tap into lad? Would I be right in saying that the normal heated seat port will be dead as it wasn’t a fitted option in the car? I know there’s the ignition plus and 30 amp breaker owed source cable to be put in the fuse box.

Just not really interested in waiting for the mechanic just messing me about now! So close and this should’ve in two-three days😂

Thanks man!

Jack

Hi Jack,

That's something you don't want.

You don't need to take that off, there is a red bar holding the plugs in place (remember that photo you sent me?, you can see it on that), push the bar to the right, and this will allow you to take the plugs out, wire up and put back, push the red bar back and your done.

Earths, lump together, and find an earth bolt, easy.

Heater control, remove middle plug and populate the 3 wires, following diagram I sent.

Fuse box, refer to diagram power side is there  output side not there this is the connections you have to make,there is a purple lock bar push to side and fit wires in relavant positions, fit fuses and you are done.

I know it sounds easy, but take your time follow the diagrams and you will be fine, I had nobody to rely on just that diagram.

If you get stuck, stop and let me know what you have done.

My seat relay is on drivers side.

Trevor

13 minutes ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

You don't need to take that off, there is a red bar holding the plugs in place (remember that photo you sent me?, you can see it on that), push the bar to the right, and this will allow you to take the plugs out, wire up and put back, push the red bar back and your done.

Heater control, remove middle plug and populate the 3 wires, following diagram I sent.

Fuse box, refer to diagram power side is there  output side not there this is the connections you have to make,there is a purple lock bar push to side and fit wires in relavant positions, fit fuses and you are done.

I know it sounds easy, but take your time follow the diagrams and you will be fine, I had nobody to rely on just that diagram.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Thanks man for all the help going to give it a go later on the night. Will take it slowly and carefully. Just at the minute I’m driving around with the car half split down and wires hanging outta places😂😂

Jack

2 hours ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

Trevor

Just having a look through the fuses so have pin 37 available to me for the power for the 30 amp fuse. For the ignition plus connection I can use either pin 14 or 19 but 14 is live all the time regardless of ignition on and pin 19 is only available if ignition is on or can running. I take it I should be using pin 19? I’ll never have a tow bar on anyways!

Thanks,

Jack

Edited by JacksVRS

1 minute ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

Yes it's ok to use fuse 37, that is the correct one, just checked the fuses, in the manual that comes with the car, fuse 19 will be ok too, not sure what I used but it works.

How's the rest of it going?

Trevor

Nice thanks man. Currently putting the first cable in the cecm. Have it unconnected and putting the heated seat in C pin 1.

Thanks

Jack

image.jpg

7 minutes ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

Yes it's ok to use fuse 37, that is the correct one, just checked the fuses, in the manual that comes with the car, fuse 19 will be ok too, not sure what I used but it works.

How's the rest of it going?

Trevor

One in😬

image.jpg

31 minutes ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

Plug B pin 7 should be foot well lights, what have you got in there??, mine was free, nothing in it.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Yea it’s free but because I got back ones too there’s two cables for Pin 7 haha. Got the seats coded and connected. Their slow to heat up but it’s the first time! Getting a code for shirt to ground but they are working. Trying one at a time to make sure I got the wires correct! Mixed them lol drivers controlling passengers etc lol

Thanks

Jack

1 hour ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

Plug B pin 7 should be foot well lights, what have you got in there??, mine was free, nothing in it.

Trevor

Update lad. They work perfectly! Get nice and warm🔥. Noticed that if your not sitting in them they go back to look warm even at level 5 then once your in them they go back to being boiling.

Hi Jack,

Great you had a go yourself, and got them working:thumbup:

The foot well lights, I would have spliced into the fronts, then only 1 wire going to pin 7 not 2.......why do they do it this way????

Not sure about the fault, but that does shed some light on it, if they are working ok I would leave alone.

Glad I was some assistance, that's what this forum should be about.

Trevor

2 hours ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

Great you had a go yourself, and got them working/cdn-cgi/mirage/7592f1ccee429a0533a84f1076410dac298fdb5b9dd3da18b2ce4e9fc645a220/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/emoticons/emoticon-0148-yes.gif

The foot well lights, I would have spliced into the fronts, then only 1 wire going to pin 7 not 2.......why do they do it this way????

Not sure about the fault, but that does shed some light on it, if they are working ok I would leave alone.

Glad I was some assistance, that's what this forum should be about.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Yep couldn’t have done it without you! Would I do it all again? It’s probably cheaper and less hassle to buy a car with them already in😂 Proud of the results though! 

Yep going to splice one into the other. Think it was like that because most probably wouldn’t bother with the backs. The reason being is that it requires a lot of work, centre console out, seats out, dashboard half dismantled so they anticipated doing them separately. I only decided to do them myself because I realised the wires for the back are going the same directions as the heated seats and I didn’t want to be dismantling stuff later down the line again! 

Presently I’ve only one cable now to put into the CECM and that’s the footwell lights taken care of. Yea I tested the seats a few times at different levels and off and on and they would burn you lol. Get nice and hot and go off when you turn them off. The error id say is what I circled in that last picture, my car has the older cluster (green screen, no maxidot) so would be the 2005-2007 CECM then my heated seat relay is 5K0 959 772 but must check the letter and update here!

Thanks for all the help definitely appreciate it didn’t think I’d actually get them working!

Thanks

Jack

Hi Jack,

That's ok mate, I will help anybody, except them that think they know better and shoot me down, got no time for them folk. Then they PM me for help when it goes tits up.

You will have update your sig now:biggrin:.

I would do it again. If I had to.

That's how Eddie_NL does them, I know cos I have one of his looms in for the foot well lights, front only, couldn't be bothered to fit rear when I found out you need this, and that and one of them :biggrin:.

Mine did have that cluster, now it's got a maxidot, should not make any difference which cluster, it's the CECM that runs the show, so most likely that's a different spec, as in Low line, Mid line and High line, not sure what I got, but don't have the fault code.

Thanks again, I did:biggrin:, that's why I told you stage by stage where to put the wires, and you saved a few quid too, not sure how much your mate would have charged?

Trevor

1 hour ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

That's ok mate, I will help anybody, except them that think they know better and shoot me down, got no time for them folk. Then they PM me for help when it goes tits up.

You will have update your sig now:biggrin:.

I would do it again. If I had to.

That's how Eddie_NL does them, I know cos I have one of his looms in for the foot well lights, front only, couldn't be bothered to fit rear when I found out you need this, and that and one of them :biggrin:.

Mine did have that cluster, now it's got a maxidot, should not make any difference which cluster, it's the CECM that runs the show, so most likely that's a different spec, as in Low line, Mid line and High line, not sure what I got, but don't have the fault code.

Thanks again, I did:biggrin:, that's why I told you stage by stage where to put the wires, and you saved a few quid too, not sure how much your mate would have charged?

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Yea nothing more annoying than someone asking for help and then dictating how it’s done! I’m definitely very grateful for the help. Yep forgot all about that tbf, have a few things to add to the sig haha! Yea if I really wanted I probably would try it again now that I know how it should be going!

Yea I just based my CECM spec based on the cluster I have so thought it must be the mid or low spec CECM but then again I do have Xenon lights, Dimming mirror, dual climate, Rear PDC, ash tray light, and 6 disk changer all standard so must be a mid line CECM.

Yea don’t know what he would’ve charged to be fair. It wasn’t too hard but was time consuming so based on labour hours I’d say!

I have a Sony XAV3005DB with Apple CarPlay etc while it does do the job just don’t like the look of it in the dash. Wonder is there much work to getting the Yeti MIB2 unit working? Like this one below. I hear it can have CarPlay and all the toys too but look factory. This picture is from an owner on the Skoda Facebook page.

Thanks

Jack

0EB926D0-6281-49F4-9BDE-C6F7535DE4D9.jpeg

Hi Jack,

There are a few on here like that (you know who you are), and it got so bad, in the end I just shut up and let them hang themselves. I know you are, you asked all the right questions, and I gave all the right answers and more. 

Should not make a difference, it's how it's programmed at the factory,as to what options are activated, mine left the factory with no cruise control, it has now had to tell the steering controller and engine ECU it has CC. Certain years need an extra wire mine had it already so plug and play.

Sounds about right, an hour as most of the work was done.

You will need to change the Can gateway because of battery drain, it don't shut the radio off, and the fan in the radio keeps running, it's somewhere under the dash only a little box, but it does a lot.

Seems like I was the only one to help you?

Trevor

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

There are a few on here like that (you know who you are), and it got so bad, in the end I just shut up and let them hang themselves. I know you are, you asked all the right questions, and I gave all the right answers and more. 

Should not make a difference, it's how it's programmed at the factory,as to what options are activated, mine left the factory with no cruise control, it has now had to tell the steering controller and engine ECU it has CC. Certain years need an extra wire mine had it already so plug and play.

You will need to change the Can gateway because of battery drain, it don't shut the radio off, and the fan in the radio keeps running, it's somewhere under the dash only a little box, but it does a lot.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Yea the forums seem quiet this weather. Aye I tried asking just essential questions but would always do some research first and then have it validated to ensure it was correct!

I suppose then a lot of people are now buying the mk3 and newer. Most now buying the mk3 wouldn’t have even known about the mk2 or recognise it for that matter. The CECM has only one ask left from me off of it now and that’s the footwell lights😂 working fine for the heated seats so I’m sure they’ll be grand too!

I'm hoping to do some engine mods but nothing major, as it’s TDi and not looking for silly noise just a bit of added power. Will do it later at some stage! S3 FMIC, 56 mil hybrid etc have most of the bits got just a few other bits to get. Have a list lol.

Just always questioned going for a nice OE spec looking radio to make the appearance of the dash look better. So will probably need the CANbus unit anyways to begin with and a head unit too! Not sure what else yet though!

Thanks!

Jack

On 04/02/2023 at 18:36, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

Trevor

Had no luck fitting the footwell lighting though. Connected it to pin 7 Connector B and have nothing just a code of 00061 footwell lights 012 electrical fault in circuit. I just hid them away and I’ll leave it for another time lol!

Thanks

Jack

On 08/02/2023 at 16:32, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

Take the bulbs out and scan again, it could be the bulbs you are using?, just a thought, as mine are normal bulbs and never had that problem.

Trevor

Sorry Trevor my reply never submitted.

Tried a good few things including normal bulbs with no luck. I think the issue could’ve been to do with the connection to the CECM. The connector wasn’t too pushed about staying in but I got it in and tried everything but got that fault. Then when I went to inspect the connection I just literally looked at it and the connection broken in half leaving the connector part in the CECM plug! Got it out though.

Im thinking now I’ll also want to avoid errors with LEDs etc and was maybe thinking of running the footwell lights from a fuse in the box and have a switch on them so I can turn them off and on any time. Also avoids bulb issues. Only issue is it won’t be oem operation spec so turn on when door opened or closed but should work atleast! I was going to have them on a live fuse and then a toggle switch in the hidden glock compartment under the steering wheel where I can turn them off and on. Can’t think of what else to do now! Atleast they could act is ambient lights tho!

The fact it didn’t work to begin with, broken connector, and the possibility of fighting with CANbus issues once things get going isn’t promising or something to look forward to! Thought they would’ve been easier to get going than the seats tbf!😂

Thanks

Jack

Edited by JacksVRS