Heated Seats Retrofit

Hey Guys need some advice.

I understand this is described as a monster of a job but I’m willing to take it on. I have a 2008 VRs TDi PFL that I fitted with FL Blackline full leathers. Want to fit heated seats. Had a practice run with taking apart a an ordinary cloth Mk2 Octavia seat had no issues at all seemed basic enough, although when I redo my own I’ll be using small cable ties rather than the wee hooks to keep the seat leather attached to the cushion.

I understand a few have done this retrofit, most notably Eddie-NL from research. I have a fair idea what I need. Here it goes:

Heated Seat Pads (Leather Only)

- 2 x 1Z0 963 557 H
- 2 x 1Z0 963 556 B
- 2 x 1Z0 963 555 F

Climate Control unit

- 1 x 1Z0 907 044 J (PFL)

Heated Seat Looms for passenger and and driver seats

- 1 x 1Z0 971 365DL

- 1 x 1Z0 971 365DN

Heated Seat Control Unit

- 1 x 5K0 959 772

Power and Light Loom

- 1 x Kufatec 1Z3 Heated Seat loom

Coding

- 1 x VCDS

Last requirement: Plenty time!

As you can see I’ve sussed out what I need and how to go about fitting the pads to the seats. The next step is getting from the seats to the car. From reading I understand there is wiring that has to be done to the CECM? I think Eddie-NL was wiring to the BCM which is on the later FL but mine is a PFL. I’ve done the retrofit on a Mk4 Golf/Bora with no issues but I understand there maybe be a bit more complications with introduction of the CECM. In regards coding I’m good with VCDS so coding them in won’t be an issue. It’s more the wiring part and if I forgot anything now is my worry!

Thanks for any help and advice!

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jack,

I done the same job on my 2007 VRS about 9 years ago and still works great, if you want some pointers let me know what you need.

Don't cut the loom to the seats, just swap the left for the right and vise versa, that's what I did, less faffing.

Trevor

Edited by Aston_Bodger
mistake
  • Like 1

Hi Trevor,

Got all the bits coming. Funny the kufatec loom came already and it’s longer to the passenger side and has more wires on that connector too so maybe they sorted that issue I read about you saying years ago?

Got all genuine new parts. Going to cable tie the covers back on damn those hog clips😂. Was tempted in also doing the back seats dependent how I get on with the fronts!

Thanks!

Jack

Hi Jack,

Not sure about that, they are all LHD as far as I know, but like I said I just swapped the wiring over as the relay normally is on drivers side, mine is on passenger side (drivers side LHD), if you get my drift?.

Yeah the hog rings are a pain, I used cable ties the second time round, oh just to let you know, the squab heat mats are bigger than the seat base, that is normal, you will see 2 grooves in the base, the mat has to go in these grooves otherwise when you sit on it, it will pull at the wires and break them, did you get the side heater pads too?, for the bolsters?

If you want the wiring diagram, let me know, unless they supply one now, when I did mine there was nothing, just the wires and that's it, I had to take it down the the supplier and we worked it out, they are only down the road from me in MK.

Trevor

2 hours ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

Not sure about that, they are all LHD as far as I know, but like I said I just swapped the wiring over as the relay normally is on drivers side, mine is on passenger side (drivers side LHD), if you get my drift?.

Yeah the hog rings are a pain, I used cable ties the second time round, oh just to let you know, the squab heat mats are bigger than the seat base, that is normal, you will see 2 grooves in the base, the mat has to go in these grooves otherwise when you sit on it, it will pull at the wires and break them, did you get the side heater pads too?, for the bolsters?

If you want the wiring diagram, let me know, unless they supply one now, when I did mine there was nothing, just the wires and that's it, I had to take it down the the supplier and we worked it out, they are only down the road from me in MK.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Thanks man! Yep got everything for full leather as I’m doing it on blackline full leather seats. Got the under seat looms, controller, side pads, base pads, backrest, and Kufatec loom. Plenty stuff as seen in the pic! On the second pic you can see the longer cable has the most wires going to the plug and according to kufatec this one goes to the passenger seat for the controller. Yep I read a few forums including yours and I thought they were only LHD looms. I think they do have my vin.

thanks!

jack

7FEFAABD-2ED9-49EF-8985-E1D7A410519A.jpeg

27723C96-DFEB-49E7-A4E7-172D605FB286.jpeg

A723E190-F8C7-405F-9C7E-42DD5589D4BD.jpeg

Hi Jack,

Looks like Christmas again:biggrin:

Glad you found my post on this, and glad it was useful to you, I did mine in 2 days, mind you I'm a mechanic so it helps:biggrin:

Like I said if you let me know when your doing it, and you get stuck, give me a shout.

Trevor 

1 minute ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

Looks like Christmas again:biggrin:

Glad you found my post on this, and glad it was useful to you, I did mine in 2 days, mind you I'm a mechanic so it helps:biggrin:

Like I said if you let me know when your doing it, and you get stuck, give me a shout.

Trevor 

Hi Trevor,

Pretty confident with it tbf! Only wires I’m not sure of is the cecm wire I know it’ll have to go to the cecm module. I also have the climatronic unit here too and I understand I’ll need two wires going here too.

It’s just going to be more work really than a mk4 golf/bora. I did a bora before but all you needed was the loom everything else was there the pads in seats already and just some switches. Now I’ve to do it all from scratch but will be worth it! Would also maybe attempt the back seats too but will wait to see how I get on first😁

E03236AB-D92C-4301-BFA0-66A2085D532F.jpeg

C4707799-2EFF-4B75-A6CC-C8D698B3BF83.jpeg

Hi Jack,

There are 3 wires going to the climatronic panel, 2 to the CECM and 2 to the fuse box.

This is the wiring diagram I used, if it helps.

Trevor

2007 Onwards

Wire Location (Climatronic) Location (Climatic) Location (No AC) Purpose
Earth Wires        
Brown wires (with ring connectors) Earth point by bonnet release handle Earth / Ground
Climate control panel        
blue Climate control panel (pin 10) Climate control panel (pin 13) Climate control panel (pin 11) Passenger side heated seat switch
blue/red Climate control panel (pin 11) Climate control panel (pin 12) Climate control panel (pin 15) Drivers side heated seat switch
grey Climate control panel (pin 12) Climate control panel (pin 15) Climate control panel (pin 16) Feed to climate control panel, from CECM
Fuse Box        
Red / white (thick wire) fuse box, 37, 30A - - Power for heated seats
Grey(thick wire) fuse box, 34, 20A - - Power for lumbar support
Grey (thin wire) fuse box, 8, 5A. (If 4 and 7 are already in use) - - Ignition live for heated seats
CECM        
White (thin wire) CECM, Connector C, Pin 1 - - Feed to central electrics

proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fdaz.co%2F

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

There are 3 wires going to the climatronic panel, 2 to the CECM and 2 to the fuse box.

This is the wiring diagram I used, if it helps.

Trevor

2007 Onwards

Wire Location (Climatronic) Location (Climatic) Location (No AC) Purpose
Earth Wires        
Brown wires (with ring connectors) Earth point by bonnet release handle Earth / Ground
Climate control panel        
blue Climate control panel (pin 10) Climate control panel (pin 13) Climate control panel (pin 11) Passenger side heated seat switch
blue/red Climate control panel (pin 11) Climate control panel (pin 12) Climate control panel (pin 15) Drivers side heated seat switch
grey Climate control panel (pin 12) Climate control panel (pin 15) Climate control panel (pin 16) Feed to climate control panel, from CECM
Fuse Box        
Red / white (thick wire) fuse box, 37, 30A - - Power for heated seats
Grey(thick wire) fuse box, 34, 20A - - Power for lumbar support
Grey (thin wire) fuse box, 8, 5A. (If 4 and 7 are already in use) - - Ignition live for heated seats
CECM        
White (thin wire) CECM, Connector C, Pin 1 - - Feed to central electrics

proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fdaz.co%2F

Perfect man that’s the one I was looking at easy to understand too! In the kufatec loom I have the connections grouped on where they’ve to go, so;

#1 2 x grounds to drivers footwell for each seat

#2 3 x cables to the climate control unit

#3 2 x cables for ignition and power to fuse box

#4 1 x cable to the cecm module

and the two plugs that then connect to the under seat loom. Don’t think I’ll have to swap the looms over as it appears the cable is correct for a RHD which is odd. Longer cable is going to the passenger side and has the most wires on it to allow for the control panel. I did read about yours where the wire wasn’t long enough for the passenger side as it was a LHD based loom so you swapped the under seat looms which is a good solution. The shorter wire on my loom has the least amount of cables on it so I take it it’s for the drivers side.

(A) is the longer side and has more cables on the plug and matches with the passenger side underwear loom I got (genuine parts). Kufatec in their guide states this goes to the passenger side.

(B) is the shorter cable with less wires on it and matches the driver side under seat loom. I got all the bits from Skoda based on genuine part numbers apart from the kufatec loom.

thanks for your help!

jack

6E95871F-063D-4CE4-B91B-9F65DA1A16F8.jpeg

69B25F35-9FD3-4640-83C0-8AA797A223A3.jpeg

Edited by JacksVRS

Hi Jack,

Seems like they have learnt from me, my loom was just a mess, and I had to tape it up in the groups like yours, it looks a lot better than mine!!!!, also looks like it's made for RHD too!!!!

a) Not sure what you mean, but if you connect the seat looms temporary you will see if the wires match up, if not swap the seat looms,easy, it will still work, I had to split the tubing and fish out the seatbelt wiring (the wire that makes the light come on)

b) Yes, I think the other has so many wires due to the rely being there, one is just for the pads.

Trevor

11 minutes ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

Seems like they have learnt from me, my loom was just a mess, and I had to tape it up in the groups like yours, it looks a lot better than mine!!!!, also looks like it's made for RHD too!!!!

a) Not sure what you mean, but if you connect the seat looms temporary you will see if the wires match up, if not swap the seat looms,easy, it will still work, I had to split the tubing and fish out the seatbelt wiring (the wire that makes the light come on)

b) Yes, I think the other has so many wires due to the rely being there, one is just for the pads.

Trevor

They must have! Yea sorry ment A was the connector on the kufatec loom for the passenger side and has all the wires for the relay etc and matches perfectly with my passenger seat under seat loom connection that has the relay connection on it. Tbf they have the wires grouped nicely so that you know where all is going and where. Must’ve made big improvements by the sounds of it!😂 the picture below just shows on the left  the kufatec loom with the longer cable side for passenger matched up on the right to the genuine under seat wiring loom for the heated seats and relay for passenger side.

moral of story I think they’ve actaully got it right 😂

4FC10F62-D87D-448E-A94B-4ACAD281526E.jpeg

2116A23F-9164-4F22-B63F-E8030CB418DE.jpeg

Edited by JacksVRS

Hi Jack,

If I had that with mine, it would have took half the time, looks good to me.

Let me know how you get on fitting it, it should be easy, take the seats out first, and put the loom in, I did mine without taking seats out, it's doable but a pain.

Trevor

1 minute ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

If I had that with mine, it would have took half the time, looks good to me.

Let me know how you get on fitting it, it should be easy, take the seats out first, and put the loom in, I did mine without taking seats out, it's doable but a pain.

Trevor

Thanks man! My plan of attack is to get the pads into both seats and put them back together and wire up the under seat looms together for the pads and leave them out of the car.

Then pull the centre console out to put in the new hand break sleeve and put the loom in and direct the wires to where they need to go. Where did u direct the kufatec cable for the drivers side to? Through the centre console or under the carpet near the driver door jam? Seen it done that way on the GTi site where they pulled the drivers side door entry trims off and brought it down that way. I’d be inclined to bring all the cables down  under the centre console for the kufatec loom and then under the carpet to the holes in the floor to connect to each seat loom.

thanks!

jack

Hi Jack,

I think there are grooves in the foam under the carpet if memory is correct, it's a long time since I did mine,  year ago now!!!, but I do remember taking the sill sections off to get my hand under the carpet, jump over the tunnel and down the other groove and into the cable clip that holds the multiplug.

Trevor

Edited by Aston_Bodger
spelling

39 minutes ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

I think there are grooves in the foam under the carpet if memory is correct, it's a long time since I did mine,  year ago now!!!, but I do remember taking the sill sections off to get my hand under the carpet, jump over the tunnel and down the other groove and into the cable clip that holds the multiplug.

Trevor

Thanks man! So it will be down along here under the marked area?

jack

8D04E5F3-1FD7-40B9-B5D4-0448B15F3A1F.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Yeah that's the panel,just watch the clips on the bottom, they have a habit of breaking.

Lift the carpet and you will see the grooves.

Trevor

Perfect man thank you! Just a matter of making the time now of attacking it!

4 hours ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Yeah that's the panel,just watch the clips on the bottom, they have a habit of breaking.

Trevor

Oh actually was going to ask, for the pop rivets on the back of the seat plastics, did you put in new ones or reuse the ones popped out?

Plus for the wires for all the pads backrest, bottom and side pads, do they run down these grooves on the cushion to the bottom of the seat?

Oh is there anything else I should know before I start too😁

Thanks

Jack

F2D8FD84-6C84-4EDF-BEBA-B7AAB93BDFA2.jpeg

Edited by JacksVRS

18 hours ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Trevor

I was also out messing around with a spare ordinary Octavia seat I had split open to look at it. I lined up the pads just to see how things would look and bared in mind you said the pads had to sit in the valleys so wires etc didn’t break. There are these black squares on the leather pads where the pads should sit in the valleys. I take it these are the connections between each section of pad? It will bend with some pressure applied but is it safe do you think to bend these parts into the valleys?

thanks

jack

E277F98A-6F5B-4DF9-A0B3-4812FA733ACB.jpeg

B478B1D7-5437-4690-87A3-2BF42FF23C67.jpeg

A5994FA6-03AA-46A3-A654-12D6852963CA.jpeg

It could be just that the leather seat is larger and has more surface area than the cloth one. Just not gonna know till I start splitting and putting them in! Picture 2 is what the coils look like in the leather version.

90664083-0D3E-4FB2-BCFA-0DF89CD54349.jpeg

85BBA522-3B89-4085-90B2-2C73FBA8DC28.jpeg

Edited by JacksVRS

Hi Jack,

I'm a bit behind now:biggrin:

The wires to the bolsters and the backrest go down the edge slit in the foam, and the squab part (the bit you sit on) goes down the middle and routed to one side, that's how I did mine, as long as its clear of the recline mechanism it will be fine.

The black squares is reinforcing for the bit that fit's in the slots in the foam, just remember to start from the front of the seat foam, and you only get one chance too.

No it's the same size, it just the pads are bigger to allow stretching , I thought that too, until I come to fit them, and it was like ahhh, that's how the buggers fit.

Yeah they are higher rated as the leather is thicker than the cloth ones, hence different part number, I'm sure there are no slots in the backrest foam, and I did not take the cover off, I slid my hand in and stuck the pad in there and it's lasted till now and still ok.

Don't forget to take the battery off, and leave for a good 10-15 mins before taking seats out, it lets the voltage dissipate in the airbag module.

Trevor

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

I'm a bit behind now:biggrin:

The wires to the bolsters and the backrest go down the edge slit in the foam, and the squab part (the bit you sit on) goes down the middle and routed to one side, that's how I did mine, as long as its clear of the recline mechanism it will be fine.

The black squares is reinforcing for the bit that fit's in the slots in the foam, just remember to start from the front of the seat foam, and you only get one chance too.

No it's the same size, it just the pads are bigger to allow stretching , I thought that too, until I come to fit them, and it was like ahhh, that's how the buggers fit.

Yeah they are higher rated as the leather is thicker than the cloth ones, hence different part number, I'm sure there are no slots in the backrest foam, and I did not take the cover off, I slid my hand in and stuck the pad in there and it's lasted till now and still ok.

Don't forget to take the battery off, and leave for a good 10-15 mins before taking seats out, it lets the voltage dissipate in the airbag module.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

thanks for all the pointers! For the drivers side I’ve to completely remove the backrest as my recline mechanism isn’t working correctly (sometimes won’t go up unless you push it in the way and then recline upwards) I have a donor backrest with airbag so I’ll be fitting that one instead. Just started the drivers one there now so nearly at the bit of unclipping the foam from the seat base😁

1 hour ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

I'm a bit behind now/cdn-cgi/mirage/190e0babfd6bd9663f569518f878643094c11ca8ce9e61d9b9bba60525b67069/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/emoticons/biggrin.png

Trevor

Sticky time now! You were right perfect fit. Must do the side ones and then the backrest then all back together.

image.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Hi Jack,

Lookin goood, soon be working.

That's ok, this what this forum should be about helping each other.

Trevor

Thanks man! Got the drivers one done took some time and changed the backrest frame too. Even with cable ties was awkward at times. Hope it all works now after all that😂😂😂.