Yeti performance upgrades

mikey362

Hi all,

long time since I’ve been active on the forum. In my absence I’ve moved on from a MK1 Fabia to a face lift yeti 4x4 2.0tdi 150.

I think the Yeti is built on the MQB platform? If so does anyone know if an s3 intercooler would fit? Also would the turbos from an Octavia be interchangeable (engine code depending)? 

looking to achieve about 240-250bhp if it’s possible without going down the route of injectors and fuel pumps etc.

only asking on here as I’m struggling to find anything online other than BoxFoxs engine swap.

Thanks

Mike

It is not the MBQ platform.  it is VW Group A5 (PQ35)

A remap.   Not to get the power you want though. 

?

Are you taking it to a track?

The Torque at 200 BHP or more is too much for the gearbox if a manual is it not?

@Schtum might be able to help.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/490697-any-modified-yetis

Screenshot 2023-01-08 14.06.14.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mikey362 said:

Hi all,

long time since I’ve been active on the forum. In my absence I’ve moved on from a MK1 Fabia to a face lift yeti 4x4 2.0tdi 150.

I think the Yeti is built on the MQB platform? If so does anyone know if an s3 intercooler would fit? Also would the turbos from an Octavia be interchangeable (engine code depending)? 

looking to achieve about 240-250bhp if it’s possible without going down the route of injectors and fuel pumps etc.

only asking on here as I’m struggling to find anything online other than BoxFoxs engine swap.

Thanks

Mike

As Root said, above, it's pre MQB.  It's built on the Golf Mk5 platform.  The engine is EA 288 so it's likely that VW Tiguan 184 TDI or Skoda Karoq 190 TDI turbo would be a fairly direct swap.  Forgive me if I don't go out and start tearing our cars to bits to verify that.

Darkside Developments would be the people to talk to. However, from my previous discussions with them, I can fairly confidently say you're not going to get much over 220 bhp without fitting bigger injectors.  

I'm currently at c. 185 bhp with a remap from Angel Tuning and it drives very well on that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, toot said:

It is not the MBQ platform.  it is VW Group A5 (PQ35)

A remap.   Not to get the power you want though. 

?

Are you taking it to a track?

The Torque at 200 BHP or more is too much for the gearbox if a manual is it not?

@Schtum might be able to help.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/490697-any-modified-yetis

/cdn-cgi/mirage/7ef2a44b785400d29a8fd15a0e4d5fffe2d9913bfac72229cb253167b445d29b/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_01/351968587_Screenshot2023-01-0814_06_14.thumb.jpg.935d42e63b242633e3581b13658c6707.jpg

Thanks @toot for confirming the platform for me.

It’s is going for a remap either March or April and I’m hoping to get around180-190 out of it. Which is hopefully enough.

No track usage, I like this car too much to bin it haha. And yeah it’s a manual, I haven’t queried what the gearbox or clutch is capable of yet simply because I’m not at the point of seriously committing to such an increase of power where it will mean messing with a solid car if that makes sense. Especially if like you said the remap does do enough.

1 hour ago, Schtum said:

As Root said, above, it's pre MQB.  It's built on the Golf Mk5 platform.  The engine is EA 288 so it's likely that VW Tiguan 184 TDI or Skoda Karoq 190 TDI turbo would be a fairly direct swap.  Forgive me if I don't go out and start tearing our cars to bits to verify that.

Darkside Developments would be the people to talk to. However, from my previous discussions with them, I can fairly confidently say you're not going to get much over 220 bhp without fitting bigger injectors.  

I'm currently at c. 185 bhp with a remap from Angel Tuning and it drives very well on that. 

@Schtum thanks for the input! Darkside are definitely the first name that comes to mind for this, they aren’t all that far from me.

I’ll get the remap done as planned and see how it goes. I really like the car just feels like it runs out of puff at the the wrong time.

I never felt the Yeti ever "ran out of puff" and I towed a caravan with both of mine.

Are you sure it doesn't just need a service?

• Like 1

My 110 was woefull even before I started towing stuff far too big and far too heavy for it, it felt quite nippy through the gears but I think that was down to the 6 speed box but whenever I tried to do a mid range overtake I often had brown trouser moments.

After a remap it is finally the vehicle that it should have been.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gumdrop said:

I never felt the Yeti ever "ran out of puff" and I towed a caravan with both of mine.

Are you sure it doesn't just need a service?

It’s up to date, it was serviced before purchase (sub 2000 miles ago).

it pulls fine at certain points in the rev range in certain gears it’s hesitant to go and when I say runs out puff I should really say it hits a flat spot. 

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

My 110 was woefull even before I started towing stuff far too big and far too heavy for it, it felt quite nippy through the gears but I think that was down to the 6 speed box but whenever I tried to do a mid range overtake I often had brown trouser moments.

After a remap it is finally the vehicle that it should have been.

I’m hoping the remap will have the same affect on mine. I really do love the car so it’s not going anywhere . 

Before the remap I declagged the intake tract of the throttle body, it made a big difference to the throttle response, fuel economy and driveability but did not really address the lack of ultimate grunt which the remap resolved.

I have had 2 underpowered base model vehicles, a 105hp MK2 PD engined Octavia and the 108hp CR engined Yeti, both were transformed by remaps, its no coincidence that both were available with higher output engines with little or no physical changes, perhaps a larger turbo, I have found it to be a very economical route to take compared to buying the higher powered examples which cost huge amounts more in registration taxes in France.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, toot said:

@mikey362 ot, but has the Haldex servicing been done and done correctly, and to schedule.  @3 years / 30,000 miles or sooner.  ? How many miles has it done?

@toot It’s just under 52k miles at the minute. And the Haldex has been serviced I can’t remember at what point without looking but it was something I checked before purchase.