Boot open warning randomly comes on

But only when any of the interior roof lights are turned on, and the engine is running.

I only noticed it after cleaning the car so I'm guessing some stay water has gotten somewhere.

It's a 2016 hatchback with electric opening boot.

Edited by anewman

Swapped the LEDs in the boot out for the original bulbs and the issue is gone. Wonder if there might be a setting in VCDS to adjust.

For connect the roof bulbs were always the original ones (not led).

Seems to be a common problem with the boot lights either in a failure of the holder or diode in the holder or by replacing with not so good quality LEDs. I'm not sure there is a setting to tell the car its LED and not Filament, I "think" the LED bulbs need to have the additional loading to act as filament so as not to confuse the system. I do not believe these lights are on CANBUS...?

I have the same problem with a failed normal bulb and holder in the boot, disconnecting the holder cures my issue of alarm going off, hazards flashing and boot open warning.

Edited by Andacami
  • Like 1

Please, please guys be careful when replacing the stock lights with LEDs.

I had exactly the same faults as described a few years ago, boot warning, interior light faults, all caused by swapping standard lights to LEDs.

Ended up frying my BCM and costing £1600 for new modules and coding!

All my lights both interior and exterior are back to standard now and will be staying that way.

11 hours ago, Stu vRS said:

replacing the stock lights with LEDs

please add some info what kind of LEDs?

i have add four of these

170327_12V_3W_Car-LED-Courtesy-Door-Projector-Light.jpg

in to current MY16

-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/393511-what-bulbs-are-fitted-to-the-s3-upgraded-bulb-recommendations/?do=findComment&comment=4842014

170327_3w_18xLED_vs_stock_Incandescent.png

-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/393511-what-bulbs-are-fitted-to-the-s3-upgraded-bulb-recommendations/?do=findComment&comment=4893173

170628_add_2xLED_Light_Hatch_Tailgate_20p.thumb.jpg.5bd447bcfee0145fe25702e17f0a1325.jpg

and there are any problems with them.
already ordered new fours for my coming MY23, don't need that surprises :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/01/2023 at 14:38, MartiniB said:

please add some info what kind of LEDs?

I had the boot LEDs and rear indicator bulbs.

Not sure specifically which caused the issue but definitely one of them did. 

Led boot lights causes an imbalance in the canbus system and causes random alarm indications. As already stated, open glovebox when moving, boot open warning comes on. Use of passenger vanity mirror illumination has the same affect. I've not come across anyway to code this out, the only thing to do is fit brighter lamps if possible.

Unfortunately never managed to find anything suitable. Using a lower voltage filament lamp only works in the short term before burning out, and therefore not worth it. Did start on the route of measuring the resistance of a standard filament lamp, then looked to purchase a resistor and solder it line to "cheat" the system into thinking it was a standard lamp. Unfortunately got rid of the car before I solved the issue. Perhaps it's time to start again with the new car.

had this when I returned my car to ‘stock’ on returning to dealer. The diode had popped out of the one, I thought it would be ok to short the diode out. Most likely you need a diode in one of the boot lights. I replaced the diode, and it sorted the issue. 

Same story in RM23... Which have LEDs originally. Ut very weak, so i replaced with ones from Aliexpress which worked with no issue in RM2018 for 4 yrs but in Rzm23 causes  boot error with opening glovebox or whn i forgot to turn of rear interior lights. With Boot opening error on VC i have sometimes  auto boot cover opening too :)