DSG auto gearbox, no creeping forward, is there something wrong with it?

4 hours ago, EnterName said:

My DQ381 creeps when on the flat, but when pointed up a slope, will sit still until I press the throttle at which point it moves forward.

I've never really thought about it much, as it just seems to do what I'd expect/want it to do at any given time, so I never need to think about what it's up to. It just works.

+1

• Like 1

23 hours ago, J.R. said:

I'm amazed that anybody would desire surely the least desirable and in the right conditions dangerous quirks of a traditional automatic gearbox.

From what I have read it makes manouevring slowly easier, is it really that hard to modulate the throttle or is it another skill that has been lost like keeping a constant speed or distance from the car in front, switching between dipped and main beam, using windscreen wipers when needed because the gadgets now take care of it?

If the car jerks while you are manoeuvring slowly or you cannot control the speed can you not use both pedals, after all that is what you do insinctively in a manual vehicle modulatig both the throttle and clutch?

I'm amazed that anybody would dislike the very convenient creep characteristic of automatic gearboxes.

In fact I can't remember the last manual car I had that didn't creep forward on idle when in gear.

What's not to like?

• Like 1

I have noticed with my 2018 vRS TDI Auto, that there is no fwd creep too; more lurch! It's very annoying when other autos and torquey manuals you could creep on the brake. I do feel it is worse with a cold car/engine, less of a problem, less of a lurch forward when warmed up.

I will get used to it I'm sure but the car WILL LURCH forward with the slightest touch of the accelerator or release of the footbrake when auto-hold/hill-hold disengages - not so much in reverse as others have said; it makes parking very nerve wracking! Judicious use of the handbrake might be the answer...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Andacami said:

I have noticed with my 2018 vRS TDI Auto, that there is no fwd creep too; more lurch! It's very annoying when other autos and torquey manuals you could creep on the brake. I do feel it is worse with a cold car/engine, less of a problem, less of a lurch forward when warmed up.

I will get used to it I'm sure but the car WILL LURCH forward with the slightest touch of the accelerator or release of the footbrake when auto-hold/hill-hold disengages - not so much in reverse as others have said; it makes parking very nerve wracking! Judicious use of the handbrake might be the answer...

Have you asked the garage about it and had the stock answer "they all do that"?

29 minutes ago, Andacami said:

This reminds me of old DSG problems that used to circulate and almost discouraged me from getting a DSG-equipped car.

Lurching forward was one, and an inability to reverse uphill was another.

I don't think your car should do this, and I'd talk to a Skoda dealer (or trusted independent) about it.

If you get no joy from that approach, it might be worth talking to a tuner who can remap DSG boxes and see if they have encountered it before and whether they have a fix.

Of course, the easiest solution is to just live with it, but it does sound annoying.

10 minutes ago, ords said:

Have you asked the garage about it and had the stock answer "they all do that"?

3 minutes ago, EnterName said:

This reminds me of old DSG problems that used to circulate and almost discouraged me from getting a DSG-equipped car.

Lurching forward was one, and an inability to reverse uphill was another.

I don't think your car should do this, and I'd talk to a Skoda dealer (or trusted independent) about it.

If you get no joy from that approach, it might be worth talking to a tuner who can remap DSG boxes and see if they have encountered it before and whether they have a fix.

Of course, the easiest solution is to just live with it, but it does sound annoying.

Thanks, I will mention it to the dealer at the next opportunity. They have already put a few things right for me and have been good as gold so far. It's a new to me 2018 car, I got it in December 2022. Dealer is Citygate, Bushy, Watford.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EnterName said:

I'm amazed that anybody would dislike the very convenient creep characteristic of automatic gearboxes.

In fact I can't remember the last manual car I had that didn't creep forward on idle when in gear.

What's not to like?

Bravo Sugar, or truthfull if you have only ever owned automatics.

On 16/01/2023 at 09:06, EnterName said:

What's not to like?

Manual cars don't slip the clutch while doing so.

6 minutes ago, Rodge said:

But you have to let the clutch out very slowly, so you could say there is some slippage.

11 hours ago, Rodge said:

Do you have any evidence you can share that DSG gearboxes slip the clutch when the brake is released and the throttle is not depressed?

10 hours ago, ords said:

But you have to let the clutch out very slowly, so you could say there is some slippage.

Not that slowly, in my experience. Obviously if you simply dump the clutch you'll stall the car.

That said, I've been driving fairly torquey cars for decades, but even my old Rover 420 would creep happily on idle in 1st gear.

One of the VAG diesels I've had could get up to 3rd gear on idle without much grumbling, but that DID require a bit of careful clutch control.

32 minutes ago, EnterName said:

Not that slowly, in my experience. Obviously if you simply dump the clutch you'll stall the car.

That said, I've been driving fairly torquey cars for decades, but even my old Rover 420 would creep happily on idle in 1st gear.

One of the VAG diesels I've had could get up to 3rd gear on idle without much grumbling, but that DID require a bit of careful clutch control.

I'm going back to the 1980's here... When the throttle cable on my MG Metro Turbo broke I was able to get home using careful clutch control and the small amount of fast tickover possible with the choke and could even get it into 3rd gear on flat roads.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I'm going back to the 1980's here... When the throttle cable on my MG Metro Turbo broke I was able to get home using careful clutch control and the small amount of fast tickover possible with the choke and could even get it into 3rd gear on flat roads.

Nostalgia. I had something similar with a Hillman Imp.  I don't want those days back🙂