Engine flush

Evening guys. My octy is having his oil/ filter changed this Wednesday. This time I decided to buy some Wynn's engine flush (my cars done 146000 miles now oil/filter change every 4-5k ) I normally use mobil oil for this. The mechanic I use says he doesn't recommend using engine flushes to any of his customers as can do more harm than good. So my ? Is do any of you guys on here use it at all? My octy is the vrs TDI by way.

They can. By dislodging particles that then get hung up somewhere in the engine.  And more likely to have a problem where not used regularly every oil change. I'm not sure with the tdi of this vintage but I wouldn't do it with a tsi. Too many narrow guage galleries, ports, gauze filters, oil control valves to clog up... 

8 hours ago, Dan13 said:

Evening guys. My octy is having his oil/ filter changed this Wednesday. This time I decided to buy some Wynn's engine flush (my cars done 146000 miles now oil/filter change every 4-5k ) I normally use mobil oil for this. The mechanic I use says he doesn't recommend using engine flushes to any of his customers as can do more harm than good. So my ? Is do any of you guys on here use it at all? My octy is the vrs TDI by way.

I wouldn't use a "engine flush" at all. I might use an el cheapo brand oil with 2 filter changes and an extra drain about every 200 miles, but even that seems unnecessary with oil/filter changes every 5_000.

The rapid blackening of the oil is an artifact of "being a diesel engine".

I'n pretty much on the same page as Ken on this one. I have used engine flush in the dim and distant past, but wouldn't now.

While engine flush is in the engine, it has to act as the lubricant, and I have no evidence that, as a lubricant, it is good enough. You can perhaps minimise any damage by not leaving it for long, but then you'd be concerned about whether it does enough flushing.

Broadly, if you are using shorter oil change intervals - which you are already - that should be enough. And yes, Diesels are dirty, but that's the way it was during engine development, so should be already taken into account.

Thanks for your replies guys👍. Think I'm gonna go with your advice. At the time I bought it I just looked at the reviews on the product rather than whether you just use it on a particular car or at all, so basically because I have an oil change every 4_5k that should b sufficient enough to keep the engine ticking over nicely anyway. I should of asked on here first huh!

24 minutes ago, Dan13 said:

I have an oil change every 4_5k that should b sufficient

Maybe even more than sufficient. Anyway. oil in a diesel engine going black is it working well. If the oil "stays nice and clean" it's not working.

Yeah that's my annual millage so fairly low, at every oil change when it's been drained it's black, definitely no track days as much as I've been tempted! Il b taking the engine flush back to Halfords most definitely 👍