fabia vrs mk1 front brake caliper rebuild help

alrite folks

looking to rebuild my front caliper..

got the piston out but not sure how to remove the seal...

is there a metal oring , or is it glued in.. the thing wont budge and can see a metal thing between the 2 bita of rubber.

searched and cant find what im meant to be doing to get the seal out.. 

the mini acrewdriver is pointed at the metal part.. dont knkw if this is a metal clip or juat part of the caliper 

any help appreciated 

cheers

IMG_20230119_155445.jpg

IMG_20230119_155721.jpg

IMG_20230119_155808.jpg

IMG_20230119_155826.jpg

11 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Remove the dust bellows first and it should become obvious...

are they glued in or held in tight or something... ive tried pulling them and they dont seem to budge.. 

if i try harder it feel like the things will most likely tear apart

Think there is a lip on the dust seal that fits into a groove in the caliper. It's most likely stuck and might get mangled trying to remove it. You can get new ones.

Brake-Caliper-Rebuild-19-1024x576.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vrsfabia-mk1 said:

are they glued in or held in tight or something... ive tried pulling them and they dont seem to budge.. 

if i try harder it feel like the things will most likely tear apart

Are you going to "rebuild" the calipers without replacing the seal and the dust bellows then?

The dust bellows normally fits into a register on the piston and hooks round the caliper body, I can see you've removed it from the piston, you just need to get if off the body, trouble is they usually perish and stick so you need to be more determined and have a new one to replace it.

7 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Are you going to "rebuild" the calipers without replacing the seal and the dust bellows then?

The dust bellows normally fits into a register on the piston and hooks round the caliper body, I can see you've removed it from the piston, you just need to get if off the body, trouble is they usually perish and stick so you need to be more determined and have a new one to replace it.

im going to rebuild with new piston , and seal. was going to try and clean the current piston , seal ,and piston cylinder to use the car a little while longer as not mobile right now. i bought some new calipers delivered today i waited a week for and they the wrong size. so just trying to get on the road quick. . but if the seals get torn thats out the picture. can you upload a photo of what the seal is , and what the bellow is.. as im not sure which is which.. first time doing full calipers . if i can get on the road with the current setup before the new refurb parts arrive thatd be good.. the brake piston was seized and the brakes were staying on. couldnt even spin the wheel by hand and the alloy wheel was cooking when i found this out. hope theres no other bits ive cooked cos of it.

The bellows is the outermost rubber thing and the piston seal is a rubber ring deeper in the bore.

4. Piston seal.

5. Dust seal (bellows).

demaxx-parts.jpg

Edited by TMB
  • Like 2

sorted , got them both out.🙏 the seal and bellow are looking alrite so might get away with cleaning everything and putting it back together to tide me over , but gonna buy some new ones anyway. 

gonna try this ultrasonic cleaner bath thing out and see how it works out on it all 😅 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@TMB thanks for this!

Been looking and New pads and discs. Gone and bought them.

OCD is kicking in and made me realise the job I've put myself in for as the pads are EBC green stuff and the calipers are red. 

Will probably end up removing them.. And getting further OCD to strip them.. Before cleaning and repainting. 

• Like 1