Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) / Cruise Control (CC)

Ballast

My 2022 Kodiaq is fitted with Adaptive Cruise Control  which I find useful in certain conditions.  What I find more useful is the ‘standard’ cruise  control.  My previous car (Jeep) gave me the option of selecting one or the other but I cannot find a way of selecting CC only on the Kodiaq.  Is there a way of going this please as I have had the car for four months now and cannot resolve the issue.

Many thanks

As said, there isn’t one. But I think this is not because ŠKODA couldn’t be bothered, I think it is because they thought it could be dangerous. If you are accustomed to the car automatically braking when the car in front brakes, and then suddenly doesn’t because the “A” bit was turned off either accidentally, or deliberately but you forgot you’d done it, it’s quite conceivable that you would be caught out and hit the car in front. This is why if the front radar signal gets blocked by snow/ice, the whole shebang stops working rather than it dropping back into a CC mode.

There probably is a speed limiter function so one option is to use that and keep the throttle pressed.

Edited by nicknorman

15 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

As said, there isn’t one. But I think this is not because ŠKODA couldn’t be bothered, I think it is because they thought it could be dangerous. If you are accustomed to the car automatically braking when the car in front brakes, and then suddenly doesn’t because the “A” bit was turned off either accidentally, or deliberately but you forgot you’d done it, it’s quite conceivable that you would be caught out and hit the car in front. This is why if the front radar signal gets blocked by snow/ice, the whole shebang stops working rather than it dropping back into a CC mode.

There probably is a speed limiter function so one option is to use that and keep the throttle pressed.

In my Karoq you can set a speed limiter. It is done via the buttons on the right of the steering wheel and displays on the virtual cockpit, but it is a PITA to set up.

Found it! For speed limiter, press the arrow button, bottom left on the right hand side of the wheel, then scroll using the roller to Assist systems, press the arrow again, you can then scroll to speed limiter. I assume you set it using the cruise stalk to the left of the wheel. 

Edited by Routemaster1461

Hi Yogi,

I spend quite a bit of time out of the UK and unfortunately when diving on many of the roads abroad, when overtaking, many motorists will insist on pulling in very quickly (on both dual and single carriageways) after overtaking me.  Even if I have the ACC set to the minimum distance, the radar picks up the overtaking car which has suddenly pulled in front and brakes for me to avoid what it thinks will be a collision.  It is not smart enough (and why should it be) to know that the overtaking car is accelerating so it need not take any action.  I find the constant automatic braking annoying and if I had CC I could carry on my merry way.  I am not a slow driver but I am more observant of the speed limits when abroad as I do not wish to fall foul of the local law enforcement who can sometime be ‘difficult’ if stopped.

As stated in my original post I am not anti ACC (very handy in stop go traffic/average speed cameras) I just think there is a case for having the option to use CC only as well. 

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

9 minutes ago, Ballast said:

It is not smart enough (and why should it be) to know that the overtaking car is accelerating so it need not take any action.

My experience is completely the opposite - if a car pulls in and is moving away from you then the ACC system recognises this and carries on... it only slows down if the car isn't moving away fast enough (then speeds up again as the distance to the car increases sufficiently), but I've never had it apply the brakes because of it.

• Like 1

Wrong choice of words by me, I should have said ‘constant deceleration when a car pulls in front’.  I agree, that as the car moves away so my car accelerates up to the preset speed as the distance between me and the overtaking car increases.  It’s just unnerving when a car pulls in front and my car suddenly slows (to the distance set by ACC) as for a split second you think something has gone wrong with the car.

I’ve got one car with “normal” cruise and one with ACC.

I prefer normal, because ACC just cannot read the road and provide a smooth drive. 

End of story really.

Some folk get along fine with ACC letting them have a snooze or play with their phone, dashboard Apps or whatever, while the car visibly slows down on motorways, tucked in behind an arctic.  

I’ve often noticed cars gluing themselves to my rear end, probably with ACC doing it’s thing.

• Like 2

Thanks Boxer Boy,
The issues you raise regarding not being able to get a smooth ride are exactly my point. I can't believe that you can't have choice depending on the conditions. To select either CC or ACC.

• 3 weeks later...

Drove from Somerset to N London yesterday. Switched on ACC joining M5 J23 in Somerset and switched it off when leaving M25 J24 Potters Bar, at lights at top of exit slip road. Brilliant piece of kit in my opinion.

• Like 1

For what it's worth Ballast, I'm with you. Had ACC on my previous car, in theory I thought it'd be a good idea but in practice I hated it.

The example above talks about a car pulling in front of you and accelerating away. But what if it doesn't accelerate away? That's just one of the issues I had, that in heavy traffic, people will pull in to the gap in front and I was slowing down.  I prefer to set my own distance between me and the car in front.

My biggest bugbear though was overtaking on busy roads where on occasion you're unaware of your car slowing down when the ACC radar kicks in.  I like an easy life on the motorway and I just found ACC frustrating that it wan't doing what I wanted the car to do. If my cruise is set at 70mph I know I'm always going to be travelling at 70mph thus can make better judgement when pulling out in to traffic to overtake.

I specifically didn't chose the ACC option on the replacement car and I haven't missed it one bit. Our other car has normal cruise but it's replacement will have ACC as std. I'm just glad I'm not the main driver 😀

Edited by kodiaqsportline

Only problem I had yesterday was on the way back in a roadworks 50mp 2 lane stretch. I was behind a car in the outside lane, and ACC kept me there at 39mph. Problem arose when he decided to pull over to inside lane. Thinking the road was clear the ACC immediately accelated to get back to original 70mph. I had to brake quickly to slow it back to 50. I can live with that though.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first motorway trip last week in my new Kodiaq with bog basic cruise control. I've had a vRS Octavia for 2 years prior with adaptive cruise and I really missed it.

I know it's been asked before but doesn't appear to have been answered as to can it be upgraded. Be nice if I could swap my boring cruise with the OP's clever one. 😁

8 hours ago, GreenlineIIEstate said:

Had my first motorway trip last week in my new Kodiaq with bog basic cruise control. I've had a vRS Octavia for 2 years prior with adaptive cruise and I really missed it.

I know it's been asked before but doesn't appear to have been answered as to can it be upgraded. Be nice if I could swap my boring cruise with the OP's clever one. 😁

Nope.

We’re stuck with whatever the car comes with.

Some of us are happy with basic Cruise.  Some yearn for ACC.

17 hours ago, GreenlineIIEstate said:

It might be possible looking at this information here:

Adaptive Cruise Control Retrofit ACC - VW Retrofit (vw-retrofit.co.uk)

• 2 weeks later...

Obdeleven has an app to add this option for the Mk4 Octavia that have ACC but I haven’t tried it. Hopefully this means it maybe coming to the Kodiaq 

039B43F9-1511-4885-9BB5-F8677DE09A26.jpeg

Edited by hally83

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t understand why anyone would want to use standard CC if they have ACC.

I have ACC on my Kodiaq and SWMBO has standard CC on her Octavia. She is constantly forgetting this, and has had some surprises when switching back to her car, and no, she’s not a typical woman driver. She drives like a man. 

1 hour ago, CFB said:

I don’t understand why anyone would want to use standard CC if they have ACC.

I have ACC on my Kodiaq and SWMBO has standard CC on her Octavia. She is constantly forgetting this, and has had some surprises when switching back to her car, and no, she’s not a typical woman driver. She drives like a man. 

I tend to favour ordinary CC with distance braking. I don't like the way ACC always defaults to the current speed limit after the initial setting.