Travel Assist not available *beep*

xspartx

Anyone else getting this very annoying message/beep 4 or 5 times per trip?

Asked the dealer to look into it at a recent service but strangely they couldn't replicate it.  Though it has occurred on every trip I've had in the last 2 months.

A bit of googling tells me that it is related to the steering wheel, and a quick hit does make the warning disappear (but too late for the beep!)

Anyone else had this issue?

4 or 5 times per trip? Lucky you! 4 or 5 times before I've got to the end of the road... then another half-dozen times at least.

Or... nothing at all on some trips. It's all a bit odd, really.

Have the same happening to mine.

No pattern for it that I have noticed, just seems random and like stated, it does it a few times in a row then stops.

I have it booked in to the dealers for them to look at it.

Funny thing is, if using travel assist and it happens, it turns travel assist off and drops down to ACC and that will still be operating.

• 2 months later...

Anyone managed to get this issue sorted.

Mine was in the dealers and they said there were no fault codes saved and they could not fault it on a few test runs they did.

Then on the way home it had Travel Assist unavailable pop up a few times.

I have sent a video of it happening to them and am now waiting for a reply. 

Mine stopped doing it for a while... then started again the other day... and hasn't done it since.

It's all a bit random - but there's a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that says it's something to do with the Lane Assist side of things. Reason for that is after it has moaned at me a few times, there have been multiple occasions where Lane Assist has been disabled in the menu and I've had to re-enable it.

Don't know if it is something as stupidly simple as needing to clean the windscreen because there's a spec of dirt in the way of the LA camera... or if there's a fault with the camera (but you'd expect it to log those faults and therefore be visible to the dealer)... or if some software update caused this (certainly didn't have this issue for the first year of owning the car).

Only thing I know for certain is that it's just a bit annoying when it happens and there's no discernible pattern that can be used to pinpoint a cause.

I have tried cleaning the windscreen and the sensor in the grill but it has not stopped it happening.

I have had it happening on almost every journey since Feb with now being the first chance to get it to the dealers for them to look at it.

Looks like I will just have to wait and see what they say after they look at the video I sent, I didn't  do a video before because it was happening so often I didn't think they would need one.

Took mine into the dealers and apparently "it needs a new steering wheel" - which of course is on back order.

Strangely it has reduced in frequency over the last couple of weeks (but is 100% still happening and connected to the steering in some way shape of form).

I can sometimes toggle the alert on and off by banging the wheel at 6 o'clock.  Also by turning it enthusiastically 

1 hour ago, xspartx said:

it needs a new steering wheel

I've read previously that a likely culprit is the sensor playing up that tells if you've taken your hands off the wheel.  Could be urban myth however.

After weeks of it not doing it (or beeping once and then shutting up for the rest of the journey)... it went absolutely crazy over the weekend again.

Will be really interested to hear whether a software update solves the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Car goes in on Monday for a software update. anyone else had that done and any change.

Funnily enough it seems to have stopped doing it, but I read somewhere but cannot find it again, that there is a know issue with

condensation when it is cold weather that is causing the issue but cannot remember where I read it.

Was going to mention it to the garage but reluctant without the post to show them, I am sure it mentioned a Skoda TPI about it.

• 1 month later...

Any updates on this? Does updated software fix it… or a new steering wheel?

Again, after a period of not doing it (much, at least), mine has gone mental this week. A few days ago I was sad enough to count… it did it 11 times in a row, each about 2-3 seconds apart, before deciding it was happy with life again. Sometimes it starts within a few minutes of starting a journey, other times it won’t do it all day and then will start out of the blue for no apparent reason when almost home. If there was any logic to it, it would be far easier to diagnose!

If I were a betting man I'd guess the was a capacitive sensor in the steering wheel who's effectiveness was altered by the amount of moisture in the hands/atmosphere/leather steeringwheel cover.  Never the same twice in other words.  Good luck fixing that in software...

If it were me I'd investigate modding the steering wheel to bypass the sensor (assuming my bet were correct in the first place).  If that's illegal then I was never here. 😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2023 at 15:03, Yogi-Bear said:

Any updates on this? Does updated software fix it… or a new steering wheel?

Again, after a period of not doing it (much, at least), mine has gone mental this week. A few days ago I was sad enough to count… it did it 11 times in a row, each about 2-3 seconds apart, before deciding it was happy with life again. Sometimes it starts within a few minutes of starting a journey, other times it won’t do it all day and then will start out of the blue for no apparent reason when almost home. If there was any logic to it, it would be far easier to diagnose!

Interesting.  Mine did the same over a broadly similar time period.  Could it be related to OTA software updates I wonder?

14 hours ago, xspartx said:

Could it be related to OTA software updates

2 hours ago, Dappernut said:

...or the prevailing weather conditions?

Whatever it is, it’s driving me nuts with how random it seems. I did about 500 miles this week (usually average about 50), and it didn’t do it once.

But you just know it’s going to do it constantly while we’re driving down through France in a few weeks. 🙄🤯😤

I had a part replaced under a recall, the changed the camera control unit and I have not had any issues since. 

Mind you it has been warm weather so maybe that has something to do with it,.

Will just have to wait till it gets cold to see if it comes back

• 3 weeks later...

Mine (21 TFI Sportline) has been fixed by the dealer, was advised I'd need a new steering wheel, got a call to say they now had a fix that was a lot less drastic.

I don't know what the did as my wife dropped it off and picked it up (3 weeks ago) but it worked, the problem is gone.

I know it wasn't an ECU flash  as I had a stage 1 BRS tune done and advised the dealer of it and they assured me they wouldn't touch it.

Took about 120 mins start to finish.

• 3 months later...

My (now EX) dealership sat on the issue for nearly a year.  Only resolved when they wanted to service my car again (no thanks until this issue is sorted).

On the Karoq forum I found a link to the recall information .

image.thumb.png.dd085671ce6b33d6fdc7f7fdb2aab9e0.png

This came up for my car.

Now bringing it up with another dealer to see if I can get it resolved, but does suggest a software solution.........(maybe).

VIN Checker | ŠKODA Australia (skoda.com.au)

6 hours ago, xspartx said:

Only resolved when they wanted to service my car again (no thanks until this issue is sorted).

Mine went in for its second service a couple of weeks ago... and there were quite a few items on the list. Not only did it get a replacement engine cover, but it also hasn't exhibited this fault with Travel Assist since. It would go weeks without doing it, so I'm not holding my breath just yet, but it may well have been fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it’s worth, it still hasn’t happened since having been serviced. Maybe, just maybe, one of the software updates they applied did actually fix it…

Still not holding my breath though.

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, xspartx said:

However, like Yogi a software update seems to have fixed it......for the moment........

I'm happy to report that I'd completely forgotten about this as it still hasn't reoccured since the software was updated during the service in October. So I'm calling this 'cured', for me at least.

Which means it'll happen again next time I go anywhere 🤦‍♂️.