Difficulty changing steering rack

Xhuy10nx

I've got a recon rack coming tomorrow, since it's finally determined that the rack is the cause for my busted steering. Unfortunately I am against the clock to get it fixed as the MOT has expired and I'm dead keen to get the MOT on the weekend.

I've been quoted £100 to fit it by a mate but I'm thinking about just doing the job myself and saving the money. Neither of us have a ramp so axle stands it will be...

Anyone got any ideas on the rough time it will take to swap these out and the difficulty level? I mean I've rebuilt an engine on my coffee table in the past, but with the time being limited I'm contemplating both options. 

Any advise would be gratefully received :D

5 hours ago, Xhuy10nx said:

I've been quoted £100 to fit it by a mate

Does your mate know what he's letting himself in for? A "local garage" quote is 4 to 5 hours work for an Octy with fully hydraulic PAS, when using a hoist.

• Like 1

No disrespect meant to your mate, but I think the point Ken's making is the Fabia is a harder job than the Octavia, for quite a lot of reasons, including space and the fact it's an electric pump. Make sure he's had a good look at things and a read and knows what he's getting into before he starts. 

Also make sure he marks up where the subframe currently is before he drops it, there's quite a bit of wiggle room / alignment adjustment on them. 

• Like 1

It's half a days work for two men, put the axle stands under the body longitudinal members behind the subframe, release the pinch bolt clamping the steering column, release and cap the hydraulic pipes from the rack, unplug the angle sensor and release its wiring, release the two bottom balljoints, three bolts each side and the dogbone then, after marking the subframe position, release it, drop it down and slide it out to change the rack in easy more.

• Like 1