Yet another leaking sunroof

snafu

Hi gurus

I've got a 2014 Yeti L&K, had it since new and it's done nearly 150k miles now and I love it. However the sunroof has sprung another leak, I had it fixed 2 years ago for about £2k and I can't spend that again, the car is probably worth about £4k. Main dealer suggests it will cost £3k to £4k to fix 😱. I'm at a loss what to do. I did have it booked in with a sunroof expert in Dorking but had to cancel and now can't get it done there until end of April, too late as I need to use it to go on holiday before that. It's sitting with a cover over it at the moment..

So my questions are:

- Does anyone know of a good sunroof expert, preferably in or near Reading?

- How easy would it be to permanently seal the bloody thing?

- Anyone want to buy a great car?

Can anyone advise?

Cheers

John

If it was me I'd disconnect the motor and seal the roof joins with clear 3M helicopter tape, as you have on the bottom rear edge of the back doors.
You will still have the glass roof and sunblind for a fraction of the cost and lasting dry car, for the amount of time you open the sunroof will it be worth £thousands?

• Like 1

...although mine did not leak, (2015 L&K), I got paranoid and simply applied clear Gorrilla tape, (£10 a role and it will probably do at least 2). It lasted a good 2 years before I decided to do it again as the tape had started to lift on the edges.

NB I only put the tape from the glass to the rubber seal...ie not over the actual roof paintwork, I used seperate strips for the back, front and middle joint, and 2 stips "per side". (Makes replacing any that come lose easier).

You can then remove the fuse, but this will make the blind inoperable as well. (I did not bother but I was concerned in case somebody (wife?) forgot and tried to twiddle the knob!)

At that age and mileage it is certainly not worth spending that sort of money....also made a note to self to never buy a car with a pan / sunroof again. (Don't know why Skoda did not make a permanent "seal kit" as an option, but then again they never will admit it is a design / manufacturing issue when it clearly is....

Edited by Stubod

14 minutes ago, Stubod said:

...although mine did not leak, (2015 L&K), I got paranoid and simply applied clear Gorrilla tape, (£10 a role and it will probably do at least 2). It lasted a good 2 years before I decided to do it again as the tape had started to lift on the edges.

NB I only put the tape from the glass to the rubber seal...ie not over the actual roof paintwork, I used seperate strips for the back, front and middle joint, and 2 stips "per side". (Makes replacing any that come lose easier).

You can then remove the fuse, but this will make the blind inoperable as well. (I did not bother but I was concerned in case somebody (wife?) forgot and tried to twiddle the knob!)

At that age and mileage it is certainly not worth spending that sort of money....also made a note to self to never buy a car with a pan / sunroof again. (Don't know why Skoda did not make a permanent "seal kit" as an option, but then again they never will admit it is a design / manufacturing issue when it clearly is....

I have decided the same thing, a sunroof is just not worth the bother. I've only opened it a few times in 9 years! And yes it's obviously a bad design and Skoda should have done something about it. 

I'm going to get some Gorilla tape and give it a try. I'll probably stick it on the paintwork if it's wide enough to do that, so the rubber seals are covered. 

Thanks for your advice!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snafu said:

I have decided the same thing, a sunroof is just not worth the bother. I've only opened it a few times in 9 years! And yes it's obviously a bad design and Skoda should have done something about it. 

I'm going to get some Gorilla tape and give it a try. I'll probably stick it on the paintwork if it's wide enough to do that, so the rubber seals are covered. 

Thanks for your advice!

It was because of this leaking issue that I decided not to spec one when configuring the Octavia.   

Have you checked that is not just a blocked drain pipe??

Two years ago is not a good job then, as it hasn't lasted to well. 

Is it worth a nicely worded letter to Skoda?

You could at least say it will be the last one. 😞

5 hours ago, snafu said:

Thanks for your advice!

..the Gorilla tape is plenty wide enough, in fact the first time I used it I actually cut the role in half (with a bandsaw), and it was still plenty wide enough. Also if you are sticking it to the paintwork it should actually hold better?...maybe worth using meths or similar to insure the "sticking" area is free of wax etc?.....

NB it only took about 15 mins to do, but you do need some small ladders or a step to get up to the roof!

Edited by Stubod

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. I got some T-Rex tape (got to be tougher than a gorilla, right?) and stuck that around the sunroof, which seems to be working. I'm just wondering what to do when I finally sell the car 🤔