Electronics died? after leakage from panorama

Patryk619

Hello everyone, I have a big problem. I am quite new owner of Octavia 3 vRS 2014 (model year 2015) diesel. This is an estate with panorama roof. Problem started when I discovered clogged drain pipe on driver side (I have LHD drive car with steering on the left). This is what was happening just yesterday:

spacer.png

Today, I wanted to start a car. Turned on the ignition, and almost all electronics was faulty. Brakes faulty, Power steering faulty, hill hold faulty, tire pressure sensor, ESP, AFS system, ACC radar. On the OBD Eleven on almost every module there is a U112300 error code, static. Car starts normally but I am afraid of driving it in that state. What the heck could go wrong and where to start ? I know it is due to blocked sunroof drain and this water, but what exactly could happened?

Hello Patryk, welcome to the forum. Don't panic - these faults may not be due to the water ingress - it would probably require much more water than shown in cabin to cause a problem with electronics. Have you checked your battery condition and charge? The fact that engine starts normally is a good sign. Low, or failing battery will often cause multiple error codes in the systems you mention. I'm just going to do an online search for your error code. 

• Like 2

Thank you. I found that under this trim there are some wiring harness and few plugs:

spacer.png

What are these for? If they were flooded with water, is there a possibility it caused those faults? What about CAN Gateway module? Could it be damaged aswell?

Hello Patryk, I did a search on this error code, it is a Canbus communication fault - where a message was expected, but not received, by a module. It can flag up if the battery has been disconnected, or a sensor has been disconnected.

General consensus appears to be that the codes will clear after a short drive.

Are you absolutely certain battery is good? What is the standing voltage at the battery terminals?

The Canbus modules can often be extremely sensitive to low battery voltage.

I'm going to flag this to someone @ApertureS who can probably be of more help - but take your car for a short (local) drive first. 

• Like 2

I have 11.9-12 V on ignition, when car running 14.4-15.1V. I would go for a short drive but I am little scared - as the Brakes fault flashed on red, so I am assuming that brakes won't work. 

[url=https://postimg.cc/jW1JrmcX][img]https://i.postimg.cc/jW1JrmcX/Screenshot-20230312-151454-OBDeleven-VAG.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://postimg.cc/jL6gdQGN][img]https://i.postimg.cc/jL6gdQGN/Screenshot-20230312-151410-OBDeleven-VAG.jpg[/img][/url]

That is what it is on almost every control module.

11.9 volts (standing) is a pretty low reading if enough time was allowed for all systems to shut down (go asleep) - this is 40 - 50% charge for EFB/AGM battery.

I am sure you will have braking (and steering) available ok - you can test the brakes even before you move by checking the pedal pressure with the engine running, then try moving a short distance at low speed and test the brakes and steering again to ensure they are working correctly.

Even with no power assistance available, brakes and steering will still work - but will require a lot more effort to operate. 

Edited by Warrior193
correction
  • Like 1

There is a growing problem on the Tiguan with a panoramic roof when the inner pressing de-bonds from the roof skin, often allowing water into the driving aids unit in the screen top… on a customers car it caused the car to fight him for control… but don’t worry, all this will be sorted out with full self driving cars 🙄

• Groan 1

This is the only thing that points to some hardware fault, two rear speed sensors. Of course it was working flawlessly before and the car was standing still during the weekend. In all other modules I get the U112300 error :/  Only the DSG is free of codes, engine also throws this U1123 code but works ok. Could it be caused by the d*** water?spacer.png

Edited by Patryk619
added info

4 hours ago, Patryk619 said:

the car was standing still during the weekend.

During that time it might have helped to fully recharge the battery with an appropriate battery charger and maintainer but it is not too late, now  fully recharge the battery with an appropriate battery charger and maintainer, if you do not have the time to fully recharge in one go then fully recharge in more than one go.  Then after the battery is fully recharged clear all error codes and drive the car and see what returns.

Fully recharge the battery, clear all error codes and drive the car first, then if required panic after that.  Water leak will obviously need sorting no matter what anyway.

Edited by nta16
  • Like 1

Fixed the problem. After removing the trim panel near the footrest, the plugs looked like this. After cleaning them with contact spray all came back to normal, car's systems are alive again. Next thing is to take care of the clogged panorama drains. Thank you everyone for ideas. So if someone has this problem and has panorama roof, then it shows where to look for the solution.20230314_003007.thumb.jpg.d1fd575963a952bab97d097a036b96fd.jpg20230314_003633.thumb.jpg.5fb927b968e1805b3bc880ff70a15cdb.jpg20230314_003640.thumb.jpg.58f69b5e4aac776a4cce769ba63957fa.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for reporting back.  Blimey bit of a water running in there then, you certainly want to sort out the drains ASAP, check how many drain points there are and their locations, sorry I don't know.

After cleaning to help keep water and moisture out you could use something like Contralube 770 to protect the connectors internally, a sachet lasts a long time and a tube much longer. - PDS-Contralube_770.pdf

ETA: Use as required but no point putting in too much to connectors so that too much squeezes out when you put the connectors together.

Edited by nta16
ETA:
  • Like 2

I'm surprised at the amount of corrosion on those connectors considering the relatively small quantity of water indicated in OP image - very useful find for all those out there with leaking sunroofs. 

@Warrior193 I was to but it was a very limited photo and perhaps it shows the water after it comes out from the inside the plastic trim.  Because of all the electrics and electronics on cars now the wires and connectors as so small it doesn't take much to fill them or cause resistance now.

I remember decades back at a show and Jag or one of their suppliers had a display stand and hearing about the weight of the wiring then on an XJ and something (forget what) they were looking at to drastically reduce the weight of the wiring, I bet my wife's 2015 Fabia has more ( but thinner) wiring and certainly more connectors than that large luxury XJ of that time.

Even the most modern cars are basically very ancient technologies, large car manufacturers have always dragged their feet on progress to keep profits and boardroom remunerations high. 

• Like 1