Rearview Camera Black

Hello all

Since I've had my car i've had an issue with my reverse camera, camera would go black for about a second every 5 secs or so (not a huge issue) on these occasions the dynamic lines would never work and would always point straight, when doing into drive the error would pop up saying park pilot was unavailable. 

The above situation would haven about 8 times out of 10, the other 2 times everything would work, no interrupted signal, dynamic lines working and no error when going into drive. 

About 3 months ago the signal gave up completely and a black image is shown (the overlays still all working and sensors working fine back and front). I have had this black image for the last 3 months and I really miss the camera 😅.

I was told by a trusty tech that the camera is aftermarket.

I have taken the rear boot trim out to inspect the connection to the camera but all looks fine. I was unable to check where it plugs into the infotainment system in the glovebox.

could this be a dodgy cable or connection or the camera failing?

Any help is appreciated. 

Sorry I can’t shed any light on this, but I’ll be interested in the replies, as mine (AliExpress aftermarket) chooses when to work and when not.  If it’s not working, when I shift out of reverse, I get a screen message which amounts to  ‘park assist not available’ , which I have to acknowledge.

No other other symptoms, it either works perfectly, or not at all!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ApertureS said:

Is it a genuine camera or some aftermarket stuff?

Was it factory fitted or retrofitted?

If the latter, who fitted it and how long ago?

The camera is aftermarket, So the car has 2 previous owners, guessing the original owner would have spec the car with a revers camera so guessing the second owner had it installed, I have contact details through the service history but I don't think I can contact them as it's their privacy. second owner was march 21 to about march 22 so some time then it was fitted.

Edited by WillRB

On 17/03/2023 at 14:04, ApertureS said:

My advice would be to replace it with a genuine one then, with aftermarket you don’t know how it’s fitted or if it’s been coded or anything.

I was thinking that, I've checked all the wiring I can. The wire coming out is grey with purple connection ends. I've been looking online for a camera replacement but I'm only seeing ones with split cable ends so multiple cables coming out the camera. Do you have any links where to get the camera from?

Would the new one need any coding?

I shall be fitting this one to mine in the next few weeks:

https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/tiguan/oem-highline-rvc-mqb-rear-view/

I originally bought it for my Tiguan but it turned out to be a bit of a lemon, when you compare the part numbers only the prefix changes based on the car.

The below link is for the Octavia 5E

https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/rear-view-cameras-3/oem-highline-rvc-rear-view-camera-3/

As you can see from the kit the loom does split in the boot lid, camera feed and then power and canbus cables.

You might be able to get away with the following depending on what you have already.

https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/rear-view-cameras-3/oem-5q0980568b-rear-view-highline-camera/