Unresponsive/'haywire' infotainment touchscreen

Johnnybuk1

Hi,

I know this isn't a new issue, and I have looked around the forum for specific answers, but the Infotainment head unit in our 2016 Yeti has gone off the rails! It flashes around all functions and will randomly dial telephone numbers as well as switching radio channels etc. The touch screen seems dead and the menu selection buttons do nothing. Safest thing is to turn it off!

Talking to the local Skoda dealership, it looks like they want to sell me a new unit, which would be fine except that they'd like to charge me £1450 for the privilege. I think this is 'slightly' too much, so I am asking the forum two things 

Could this fault be repaired at a reasonable cost? Is there anyone in the West Midlands who you could recommend?

If not, are there any after market solutions which people have fitted and which do the job? I'd like to retain functionality of steering wheel operation and the parking guidance malarkey.

I know you are going to ask me what model, I really don't know!! I will attach a photograph...

Thanking you in anticipation

20230316_170848.jpg

There is a video on youtube showing how to fix it yourself - it's not difficult - just basic screws and clips - no knowledge of electronics or soldering needed.

Then you can do it yourself for about £25 - the cost of a replacement digitiser from ebay/aliexpress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZAVyxZF8IM

If you don't fancy trying it yourself, these guys in Coventry have fixed a number of them for owners over on the Yeti Owners Club forum:

http://www.vagretrofits.co.uk/

Edited by 137699
  • Like 2

Can anybody actually hear what the person is mumbling in that Youtube video?

Is it my ears, my computer or the recording?

29 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Can anybody actually hear what the person is mumbling in that Youtube video?

The speech is not very clear in places. I had to resort to subtitles to interpret some of it!

YouTube is a place where people can upload content they they've created at their own expense and time, content which is then covered in adverts from which somebody else makes money. The content doesn't need to be good, it's just an advertising vehicle. "Don't forget to click subscribe and share" blah blah blah etc.

Just had an exploratory pull apart of my Amundsen2 unit that has the same issue. I’d say with a bit of patience this is looks like a very doable repair - I spent £7.50 on some trim removal tools (had the torx stuff already) - took about 30-40 minutes going very slowly to get the screen out following that video (so basically everything up to the sticking a second digitiser on bit). Have now ordered a new digitiser from ebay for just under £18, and the unit is now reassembled and back in the car as good/bad as it was before. Given the terrifying prices that people are being quoted, I figure this has to be worth a shot - particularly as I’ll be looking to sell the car in a couple of months anyway. Just a shame as the car’s been brilliant until now but I just had to also replace the water pump so it’s getting expensive.

For my 2017 Yeti, I couldn’t find a replacement touchscreen for less than £50 incl delivery and taxes etc (bought on eBay and shipped from Poland to UK). Anyhoo, bought it, fitted it last night and it worked 🙂 like a brand new infotainment panel. 
Just to be clear, you DO NOT REMOVE THE OLD TOUCHSCREEN, just the silver frame and bond the new touchscreen panel over the old one (get some good glass cleaner first). There are quite a lot of torx screws to remove to gain access. Message me through here if you need any help. 

yep - saw a video of someone taking the old touchscreen off with a heat gun - that looked like a LOT of work. Only bit I’m curious about is whether you notice the extra panel in use as you’re slightly further away from the LCD screen behind?

On 26/03/2023 at 11:35, Jamieframer said:

I can’t see a difference, the touch screen digitiser is so thin that you don’t really notice any distance between the LCD panel and the Touchscreen. 

9449C834-6E1E-49CF-9DE8-0532E07FBF33.jpeg

497CE9E0-B54D-4D77-A0BF-8D62AE987E9B.jpeg

I'm assuming you did the new digitiser over old route, are you satisfied with the outcome, does it all work as it should do?
might give it a go if it worked well for you

Yeah, it comes with double sided tape around the edge, so I simply bonded it on top of the old digitiser and it works better than expected. You really don’t notice the extra layer of glass, although it is very thin. I’m really chuffed as was prepared to spend up to £200 on a repair or £500 on a new Sony unit. 

• Like 1

Agreed - just fitted mine this morning - genuinely can’t tell the difference from the original. Very happy with that. Photo taken before I put the trim back on. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

IMG_0519.jpeg

I just bought this kit for removing the trim. You could use your fingers (maybe) or screwdrivers (risk of scratching stuff). 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VNPMFJ3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

but it cost little and made the job easier. 

This is the digitiser I bought:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284604121555?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ykqFwBt-Ri-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Love it! 1
  • Thanks 1

ok, a few days in now. My one observation would be that the original screen must have had an anti-glare coating that the one I ordered does not - the reflection is quite noticeable. The touchscreen itself works perfectly - I may look for some kind of coating to add. I don’t know if @Jamieframer’s slightly more expensive screen might be better for that. I’m not overly bothered as I’m selling the car next month when my company car arrives - just very glad not to be paying top dollar to a dealer to fix this on a car I’m about to sell.

On 26/03/2023 at 11:35, Jamieframer said:

I can’t see a difference, the touch screen digitiser is so thin that you don’t really notice any distance between the LCD panel and the Touchscreen. 

I see one poster saying that there's a noticeable reflection on his replacement digitiser.  Is yours the same and if not, do you have a link to the one you purchased?  

TIA

12 hours ago, xioxyx said:

My one observation would be that the original screen must have had an anti-glare coating that the one I ordered does not - the reflection is quite noticeable.

The scratch protection films you can get for mobile phones, smar****ches and digital camera screens are often available in anti-reflection/anti-glare forms.  I wonder if there's such a thing for the Amundsen/Bolero screens?  (AFAICT it's all basically the same stuff, just cut to size for the device it's sold to fit.)

Note: the censored word above was "smȧrtwȧtches" 🙄

Edited by ejstubbs

Something like this may well fit the bill. It's half a mm short in one direction and a few mm over in the other, but I've been using the brand for a long time with a variety of devices and recommend them readily.