Suspension options advice

Hi everyone. 

I have posted regarding this in the past but just wanted to get some new ideas and thoughts . 

My shocks and springs (original as far as I'm aware) on my 2004 VRS are a little tired I think. I'd also like to lower it, for asthetic purposes and also for better handling. It's my work and play car so don't want the ride to be too crashy or harsh. I've got the following in mind.

Bilstein b4s with eibach springs. (25mm drop I think)

Ap shock and spring kit.(25mm drop) 

Bilstein b12 pro kit (although I fear this one may too harsh for my liking. 

I currently have a white line RARB, Meyle hd console bushes, psb front wishbone bushes, Meyle hd drop links, rear beam has psb bushes fitted. 

I have new febi top mounts and anti roll bar bushes ready for the new set up. 

I'm leaning towards the ap set up, but some thoughts and experiences would be appreciated. 

Many thanks 

John 

I have a bilstein b12 kit for sale of my old car :)

I highly recommend the b8 dampers that come with the b12 kit (plus eibach springs). Do a brilliant job at controlling the body movement. In terms of ride I would say it’s much better than stock in the sense it’s less crashy. Does give that sporty feel though.

32 minutes ago, faboka vrs said:

I have a bilstein b12 kit for sale of my old car :)

I highly recommend the b8 dampers that come with the b12 kit (plus eibach springs). Do a brilliant job at controlling the body movement. In terms of ride I would say it’s much better than stock in the sense it’s less crashy. Does give that sporty feel though.

What's the comfort like compared to standard shocks and springs? Slowing down for speed bumps etc ? I'm 50 now and crashy harsh suspension isn't my thing these days 🤣

19 minutes ago, Johnnynapalm said:

What's the comfort like compared to standard shocks and springs? Slowing down for speed bumps etc ? I'm 50 now and crashy harsh suspension isn't my thing these days 🤣

Firm, not crashy, the handling however is completely transformed!

• Like 2

Personally I would say the ride was better as I found the standard to be crashy over roughy roads when new. Add  19 years to that…

The eibach springs are very similar to stock vRS springs rates so the rides very similar just better controlled thanks to the b8 dampers. I actually ended up running the B8’s with stock springs as I was running out of suspension travel and bouncing off the bump stops. That was when I fitted the H&R rear anti roll bar (stiffest you can get) and went back to stock front anti roll bar. When I had an eibach 22mm front and Jabbasport 23mm rear (H&R is 25mm) I had no issues. I used the car for Autosolo’s.

Edited by faboka vrs

2 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Firm, not crashy, the handling however is completely transformed!

What he said :) For road use I would recommend the setup to anyone. Cheap coilovers might add stiffer springs but I doubt the dampers are anywhere near as good unless you start talking proper kits ie thousands.

Well you're both selling it to me 🤣

Is it a case of avoiding any potholes or divots like the plague ?....at the moment I can mainly just fly over speed humps etc with not much thought. The harshest potholes I avoid like in any car but I don't give it much attention currently. 

The handling aspect is very appealing though. I can make good progress when I feel like it, although I'm certainly no boy racer anymore and the fab gets alot of mechanical sympathy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnnynapalm said:

Well you're both selling it to me 🤣

Is it a case of avoiding any potholes or divots like the plague ?....at the moment I can mainly just fly over speed humps etc with not much thought. The harshest potholes I avoid like in any car but I don't give it much attention currently. 

The handling aspect is very appealing though. I can make good progress when I feel like it, although I'm certainly no boy racer anymore and the fab gets alot of mechanical sympathy.

The ride on the B12 setup is like the standard VRS but with really good damping, so getting slightly airborne means a no bounce landing, since you have a RARB already you'll be cocking a wheel in no time!

• Haha 1

Sounds ideal to me. I've read alot on the various kits and no one really has anything bad to say about the b12 kit. I had a turbo boge set up on a MK2 golf GTi years ago and that was like it was on rails. Still comfy too. 

20 hours ago, faboka vrs said:

Personally I would keep stock springs and just change the dampers. That way you keep the suspension travel for the speed bumps.

I would like to lower a little for asthetic purposes (25mm Max). Would this compromise comfort in your experience?

7 hours ago, Damian@DPM said:

Hi Damian. Would you recommend the ST over the AP set up then ? If so, what would be your reasoning given my requirements? 

Cheers 

John 

3 minutes ago, Johnnynapalm said:

I would like to lower a little for asthetic purposes (25mm Max). Would this compromise comfort in your experience?

Not at all. Wouldn’t say their was any difference in ride at all.

3 minutes ago, faboka vrs said:

Not at all. Wouldn’t say their was any difference in ride at all.

Thank you that's useful information. Would you say that Thier is a cut off point in terms of how much the fab is lowered, when the day to day drivability/comfort is comprised? ...say 30mm?...40mm? 

Cheers 

13 minutes ago, Johnnynapalm said:

Thank you that's useful information. Would you say that Thier is a cut off point in terms of how much the fab is lowered, when the day to day drivability/comfort is comprised? ...say 30mm?...40mm? 

Cheers 

VRS is already lowered as standard so I wouldn't go much more than 25mm, what kills the ride is slamming them and fitting bigger rims, which is exactly what the "all show and no go" brigade want.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

VRS is already lowered as standard so I wouldn't go much more than 25mm, what kills the ride is slamming them and fitting bigger rims, which is exactly what the "all show and no go" brigade want.

Thanks sep that makes perfect sense. The fab to me makes a great  "sleeper". very capable when required but very drivable day to day. It's the perfect blend of my old rev3 MR2 turbo and my even older 1979 Datsun sunny 👍😂

2 hours ago, Johnnynapalm said:

Cheers 

wouldn’t go past 25mm. I did some measurements. On stock springs on the front you have around 2.7inch of bump travel before hitting the bump stops and 2.1inch of rebound. Problem with going more than 25mm (1inch) is you run the risk of hitting the bump stops which you don’t want to do. So when you seen anything slammed on springs then their riding on the bump stops.

To give you an idea. This is with the spring removed and the damper compressed to the point it hit the bump stops. So basically no suspension travel left.

3ECA1555-DA6B-4890-BA09-16A9B11E356F.jpeg

Edited by faboka vrs

32 minutes ago, faboka vrs said:

To give you an idea. This is with the spring removed and the damper compressed to the point it hit the bump stops. So basically no suspension travel left.

3ECA1555-DA6B-4890-BA09-16A9B11E356F.jpeg

That's very enlightening thanks for that 👍

16 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

But, hey, you've minimised that crucial "arch gap" that the idiot babies hate so much, now all it needs is some 18's with rubber bands fitted!

Just a slightly more purposeful stance would suffice for me 👍

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, faboka vrs said:

wouldn’t go past 25mm. I did some measurements. On stock springs on the front you have around 2.7inch of bump travel before hitting the bump stops and 2.1inch of rebound. Problem with going more than 25mm (1inch) is you run the risk of hitting the bump stops which you don’t want to do. So when you seen anything slammed on springs then their riding on the bump stops.

That's duly noted 👍

My days of "slammed" cars are about 20 years in the past anyway 🤣

• Haha 1

On 29/03/2023 at 18:51, Johnnynapalm said:

Hi Damian. Would you recommend the ST over the AP set up then ? If so, what would be your reasoning given my requirements? 

Cheers 

John 

I fitted a set of ST coils & springs last year as my original dampers & Eibach springs were 18 yrs old & the rebound damping was non-existent.

The STs are excellent, well damped, not crashy & very comfortable.

Much better than my previous tired set up.  Good price & service from DPM too

• Like 1

• Sponsor
On 29/03/2023 at 18:51, Johnnynapalm said:

Cheers 

John 

If budget allows yes. The ST kit is the next step up from the AP in terms of the quality of the parts used and also the build.

Damian @ DPM Performance 

• Like 1