Fluttering noise after stopping?

docc

Just curious.  After parking and switching off ignition,  there's a sort of fluttering noise apparently coming from somewhere at the front of the car. Just a few seconds at a time, and intermittent. 

It's always puzzled me - then I thought, someone here's bound to know!

14 minutes ago, Bas750 said:

Diesel?

Petrol. It’s always happened on both Yetis ever since new, some years back, and I’m confident it’s a design feature, done for some very good reason. It’s as if something somewhere quite small is oscillating.

Not a mouse by the way. Unless there’s one in each car!  Sounds rather like a pigeon on the roof or bonnet - but isn’t.

Could be your alternator running on for a very litle time.( they do have a freewheelfunction on the pulley) But, it is a guess.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

There are various air flaps in the ventilation system under the dash that close as you turn off the ignition. Mine used to make a noise for a couple of seconds.

Could be that, and it could indeed be something to do with the climate control system, but it continues for maybe 20 minutes or so.  You wouldn't normally do that of course (and you wouldn't hear it if you had the radio on or were chatting) so most people probably wouldn't have heard it.  The sound is very much like that of a bird walking on the roof.

This sounds a bit like mine. The wife doesn't like the radio/CD on in the car (which would usually hide the odd noises) and as we are going along I can hear what almost sounds like regular breathing. Asked in the garage at the last service and was told it was air flaps moving to adjust petrol mixture. As it has done it for as long as I can remember and nothing has fallen off I'm not going to worry about it.

• Like 1

Bird walking on a roof ... more like a ticking sound?

Could be exhaust tick down as the exhaust/heatshields etc cool it can have a ticking sound for upto 5 mins after switching off,

or

as already suggested the aircon going into a ventilation mode and moving flaps about to cool the car /purge air after a journey.

just some suggestions. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

When the air con is on in my 1.2 petrol , it makes a fluttering sound whilst driving. Easy to check, as others have indicated above , turn off all ventilation AC fans etc and see if the sound persists.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. The only time we ever hear this though is after the engine’s switched off and the car’s stationary. It starts a couple of minutes after everything’s switched off and continues for half an hour or so. Both cars do it, and always have. 

Not remotely bothered about it - just curious!

On 12/04/2023 at 17:30, Paul52 said:

Asked in the garage at the last service and was told it was air flaps moving to adjust petrol mixture.

I should start collecting these Bravo Sugar quotes to write a book.

Why is it mechanics and most Frenchmen do not have the ability to say "I don't know" and instead make up or recount totally unconvincing rubbish?