Handsfree disconnect in Android Auto

Hi All. 

Over the past week or two in my L&K 70, android auto has started flashing up a sign telling me that the Handsfree Phone HFP has disconnected. It happens regularly, as in every 10 seconds to 20 seconds. It's pretty annoying as it covers the top 3rd of the map. 

There's no update waiting. Phone (S22 ultra) is up to date. Tried turning Bluetooth off on the car and the phone, phone forces it back on, car asks for it to be back on at next start up. Happens wired or wireless. 

I'm baffled. I know the skoda entertainment software is flakey at best but this is v annoying and I can't find a fix/workaround. 

Oh, I've had the recall software update which fixed the sos issue too, but that was done months ago. 

Any ideas on how to sort the HFP thing? 

• Like 1

Had the same issue in my works Citroen berlingo. Had to delete van out of Android Auto then reboot phone. Then reconnect van via usb and reboot phone again. Only way I could get Android Auto working again on my pixel 6 pro. 

I have a very similar issue with the MIB3 in my 2021 Mk 3. It either connects wirelessly when I get in the car and then disconnects randomly or won't connect and I have to either reboot the phone or the system. It has been back to the dealer and they say they can find nothing wrong. I thought it was the car as I had an Audi Q3 on loan for 3 weeks recently and it connected without any issues at all. My daughters phone (S22) connects without issue, so I now have to assume it is the phone - its a Motorola Defy (which I got for its indestructibilty) running Android 11 - as this is "built in" I can't even reinstall Android auto, if anyone has any pointers as to something I could do with the settings either on the phone or in the MIB I would be very grateful as it is driving me nutty and making the whole experience of the multimedia experience in an otherwise great car very disappointing. I have tried de-pairing the phone, the re-pairing as directed by the dealer but the issue persists. 

I know I could get another phone but I don't think that is the point, Android auto is great when it is connected, I just never know when it will disconnect, which means I can't use waze or google maps (recently disconnected and would not reconnect when we were using it to navigate through South London on a diversion). 

Sorry to hijack the thread but it seems to be a related problem.

Cheers, 

Chris.

had my work A23s 5G disconnect at least twice today in my rental Tiguan. It's not the phone.  My own car works fine with it, whether wired or not.

Did you allow permissions? Which ones? I have no contacts or messages allowed, i just looked for the car on the phone, no android auto involved (though i use both that and BT connectivity in my own car with this phone without issue).

Is auto-connect on on the phone? I'm pretty sure I allowed nothing on this car (as it's a rental) but my phone works fine with my 2018 Superb.

Thanks for the replies. Generally, android auto connects fine, it looks like it's the BT connection to the skoda handsfree which keeps connecting and disconnecting. 

Feels like a car issue where it's getting confused between an android auto connection and the regular BT connection for calls and media through the skoda interface. I'll try and get a picture of the error message. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started seeing the same issue in my Kodiaq mib3 recently, when AA is connected at some moment it starts showing that my phone has been disconnected from Handsfree phone (HFP). It may happen 2-3 times per minute, then there maybe long pause, but later it comes back again, AA works perfectly, music plays fine, but calls are really goes back and forth from car to phone. I reloaded Discovery pro, phone, nothing helps 😞 Any solution for that? 

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue which started happening randomly on a Kodiaq 2022.

My solution was to remove the vehicle fully from Android Auto and Bluetooth on my phone, remove all traces of my phone from the vehicle side, and then connect to Android Auto again (using cabled connection for the initial setup). After this the problem has not reappeared. 

On 01/05/2023 at 12:27, Hallingen said:

I had the same issue which started happening randomly on a Kodiaq 2022.

My solution was to remove the vehicle fully from Android Auto and Bluetooth on my phone, remove all traces of my phone from the vehicle side, and then connect to Android Auto again (using cabled connection for the initial setup). After this the problem has not reappeared. 

Unfortunately doesn't help in my case 😞

On 12/04/2023 at 15:24, robski90 said:

Hi All. 

Over the past week or two in my L&K 70, android auto has started flashing up a sign telling me that the Handsfree Phone HFP has disconnected. It happens regularly, as in every 10 seconds to 20 seconds. It's pretty annoying as it covers the top 3rd of the map. 

There's no update waiting. Phone (S22 ultra) is up to date. Tried turning Bluetooth off on the car and the phone, phone forces it back on, car asks for it to be back on at next start up. Happens wired or wireless. 

I'm baffled. I know the skoda entertainment software is flakey at best but this is v annoying and I can't find a fix/workaround. 

Oh, I've had the recall software update which fixed the sos issue too, but that was done months ago. 

Any ideas on how to sort the HFP thing? 

Hi,

Have the same issue with my superb 2022. I have S22 and i tried everything possbile but no results. Today, I visited Skoda Service and they couldnt help. Think that issue is with Android last software update on my S22. 

Any other ideas?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Golub said:

Hi,

Have the same issue with my superb 2022. I have S22 and i tried everything possbile but no results. Today, I visited Skoda Service and they couldnt help. Think that issue is with Android last software update on my S22. 

Any other ideas?

Thanks

My wife's phone S22 works well. The only difference with mine is android auto version. Mine is 9.3.631454, wife has 9.3.631434, release date is 04/23 vs 05/04. But I cant update wife's phone, play market considers it updated. What AA version do you have?

5 minutes ago, AndreyKar said:

My wife's phone S22 works well. The only difference with mine is android auto version. Mine is 9.3.631454, wife has 9.3.631434, release date is 04/23 vs 05/04. But I cant update wife's phone, play market considers it updated. What AA version do you have?

I have the following AA version:

Screenshot_20230509_224439_Android Auto.jpg

2 minutes ago, AndreyKar said:

Ok, seems like the problem is not in version 😞

It is a never ending story... I really dont have any clue on how to sort out this issue. HFP error disturbs any talk while driving. If anyone sort it out, pls share. Thanks

10 hours ago, Golub said:

It is a never ending story... I really dont have any clue on how to sort out this issue. HFP error disturbs any talk while driving. If anyone sort it out, pls share. Thanks

yeah, hate this too, tried everything except phone reset 😞 

Hi! I have similar problem.

I have a S22Ultra phone, with Android 13, One UI 5.1 and Android Auto 9.4.631624-release version.

My wife has a S21 phone, with Android 13, One UI 5.1 and Android Auto 9.4.631624-release version.

We have two Skoda:

- Kamiq, 2022, Android Auto: v3.2.36 + MIB3_v1.1.27, Device Part number = 654035869H, Hardware = 110, Software = 1760

- Kodiaq, 2023, with Columbus entertainment, System Information shows Device part number = 3V0035816L, Hardware = H25, Software = O320, Navigation database = 23.3. (no information about Android Auto version)

Situation:

- On the Kamiq: both phones are working with Android Auto, both wirelessly and wired. No connection issues.

- On the Kodiaq: my wife's phone works ok with Android Auto. No connection issues. But my phone (S22Ultra) have regular disconnections ("Phone has been discconected from Android Auto"). Sometimes is stays connected for several hours, but sometimes it keeps disconnecting at 5-10 seconds for indefinite period of time. What's weird it seems that the majority of the disconnection happens in the same places I've drove by. 

Could it be something about the Bluetooth signal interfered with other signals? But why does it happens only on S22Ultra when driving the Kodiaq? Same phone on Kamiq is ok. Other phone on Kodiaq is ok!

I've read somewhere that I need to make a reset of the entertainment system of the Kodiaq, as it seems to have a known issue from the manufacture for the latest models.

I will try this also, but it will take some effort to get the second key from my leasing company...

If you have any ideas what I can try besides the entertainment reset, please share your thoughts.

Thank you,

Orly

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I am in the same boat - Skoda Superb 2021 on latest updates & firmware (might be the problem with a glitchy update!?) - Google Pixel 6 Pro (Android 13) worked flawlessly until about 2 weeks ago, and since then my phone shows as being connected to the car via bluetooth, the Android Auto button is replaced with "MirrorLink", and I don't have any options to connect the phone.....

All I can do is as everyone else has done - go into Settings, delete the phone from the car. Delete the car connection from the phone, then re-pair it. Seems to work for a few days...... :swear: then repeat this process (not while driving obviously...ahem!)

Absolutely love everything about the car, cannot fault it, apart from this Android Auto issue!

I have the same problems with S22 Ultra and Skoda Kodiaq Bolero. I have a fix that seems to work for me:

- delete association phone - headunit;

- activate bluetooth on the phone;

- search the phone from the Skoda MIB headunit, not the other way around. It seems the same thing, but its not, that's how I solved my problem, no more HFP disconected.

Thanks to: 

• 3 weeks later...

I have been having this problem as well, Samsung S22 ultra, drops out every 30 seconds then reconnects, most frustrating. Happens with my son's 2022 superb however on my Mrs 2019 superb with the analogue dash it works fine. This dropping out happens when my Mrs uses my car with with her Samsung S22 also.

Edited by peterposh

Well dare I say it, but following a recent update to the car, it's behaving itself again?

Plugging the phone into a USB cable, then searching for the phone from the car seemed to find the phone, pair on both devices, and then it was ok.

Unplugged the cable and it connected via Bluetooth, and is behaving.

Make sure to try it, following any updates.

Thanks for the suggestions 👍🏻