Handsfree disconnect in Android Auto

OK so I've no idea what's happened in the last few days but my now phone won't connect to my kamiq either by USB (unable to connect),  or by Android auto.  It'll charge and that's it.  Can anyone advise please? 

Hi, I'm new to this forum. 

So, I read that a lot of people experience this problem with their Samsung S22 and Skoda, VW or Seat. I have had this problem since April 2023 and the car has been in for service twice. Both times I am told that the car has the latest software and that everything is normal. Bluetooth is reset and at the last service all user profiles are also reset.

I have noticed that when the car loses bluetooth, other devices are also disconnected because the phone's bluetooth turns off and then back on without the phone being able to automatically reconnect. I screenrecorded  to witness this. I have reported the problem to Samsung and the response I got was:

"Unfortunately, we can never guarantee compatibility with third-party products and thus we can never guarantee that it will work as intended."  (WTF??)

The car is my office and I have phone calls all day in the car. I now have to use the phone's speaker to make calls, this is very cumbersome. I hope you guys post info here as soon as you find a solution, I have tried everything and am very, very frustrated. Thanks

• Sad 1

I had an email from Android : Thanks for reporting the issue on the community.Please help us with the following details needed for investigation:

Error message: if available  

Were you able to connect to Android Auto prior to the issue?

Car / head unit make & model: if you use Android Auto on your car display

Phone make & model:

Android OS version:

Android Auto app version:

Google Play services version: You will find this under Settings > Apps (or Apps & notifications > App info) > Google Play services.

Locale:

We'd also like to recommend trying some troubleshooting steps to see if it can help resolve the issue. Let us know how it goes. Thanks! 

Try removing the connected cars from the Android Auto Settings page.

Phone Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences > Android Auto 

Select Previously connected Cars > top right three-dot menu > Forget all cars > Tap Ok.

Connect to your car display and re-enable Android Auto on your car.

Please make sure to disable all battery power saving mode for the Android Auto app. 

Phone Settings > Tap Battery > Adaptive Preferences > Turn off Adaptive Battery.

Phone Settings > Apps > Android Auto > Battery > Select Unrestricted.

Try restarting the phone device.

We would also suggest trying the below troubleshooting steps to see if it helps resolve the issue. 

Open phone Settings > Apps > Android Auto > Storage > Clear cache and clear storage

Open phone Settings > Apps > Android Auto > Tap Force stop > Check if the issue persists

Open phone Settings > Apps > Google Play Services

> Storage > Clear cache

4 hours ago, peterposh said:

I had an email from Android : Thanks for reporting the issue on the community.Please help us with the following details needed for investigation:

Phone make & model:

Android OS version:

Google Play services version: You will find this under Settings > Apps (or Apps & notifications > App info) > Google Play services.

Locale:

We'd also like to recommend trying some troubleshooting steps to see if it can help resolve the issue. Let us know how it goes. Thanks! 

Select Previously connected Cars > top right three-dot menu > Forget all cars > Tap Ok.

Please make sure to disable all battery power saving mode for the Android Auto app. 

Phone Settings > Tap Battery > Adaptive Preferences > Turn off Adaptive Battery.

We would also suggest trying the below troubleshooting steps to see if it helps resolve the issue. 

Open phone Settings > Apps > Android Auto > Storage > Clear cache and clear storage

Open phone Settings > Apps > Android Auto > Tap Force stop > Check if the issue persists

> Storage > Clear cache

Just did this a second time. Worked for 15 minutes... 

4 minutes ago, peterposh said:

Well I've sent the all my details so let's see what happens.....................🙄

The problem continues for me even when AA is disconnected. I turn off wifi in the car so that only Bluetooth is connected. The error continues regardless of AA. 

• Like 1

It seems that the majority of people having this specific issue are Samsung S22 users. In my case a Ultra.

Samsung answer has been upsetting some folks: "we can't guarantee comparability for other BT devices"

Completely disregarding that other phones seems to work...

Hopefully there will be a fix from Samsung rather then from Google or Skoda.... 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, peterposh said:

And Skoda users

Nope, there are similar reports for other like VW. I've linked earlier to AA-forum where this is discussed.

But to be honest I've had issues with handover between my prior Toyota HF and Buds for my S22 Ultra as well... so actually I'm more suspecting the Phone Hardware or software.

On 12/07/2023 at 12:33, PeterSwe said:

Nope, there are similar reports for other like VW. I've linked earlier to AA-forum where this is discussed.

But to be honest I've had issues with handover between my prior Toyota HF and Buds for my S22 Ultra as well... so actually I'm more suspecting the Phone Hardware or software.

Android should be compatible because vag vehicles have the option of android or apple when you try and connect the phone so probably a software issue , anyway hopefully they'll sort it out.

Edited by peterposh

I've sent a I had an email from Android : Thanks for reporting the issue on the community.Please help us with the following details needed for investigation:

Phone make & model:

Android OS version:

Locale:

We'd also like to recommend trying some troubleshootinbluetig steps to see if it can help resolve the issue. Let us know how it goes. Thanks! 

> Storage > Clear cache

Had a full on update (OCU?) from Skoda last night, and phone is still connected (at the moment).

It's been released this week, so who knows if this issue has permanently addressed in this update...

Try pulling it down and fingers crossed all 👍🏻

Just picked up a 2018 Superb today from main dealer and my connection drops almost immediately.  Have faffed the settings and cleared cache so will give it another go but I also have a Samsung but a Flip Z3 so as my contract is almost up, I may try amd alternative make and see if that solves the problem.  Worked fine with just BT connecting calls and music so not a huge hassle, but for the millisecond mirroring worked, it did look cool.

I've not done the recent update the car wanted to do but my phone did an update last week and (touch wood),  my phone hasn't disconnected in several days. WhatsApp messages still don't  ping up unless I'm on the Android page and unless I select "new" msg on the WhatsApp page then request a msg sent to whomever, it tells me it can't find a number for that person. But apart from that,  having no issues......... 

Watch this space! 

On 20/07/2023 at 19:19, Guy Incognito said:

Just picked up a 2018 Superb today from main dealer and my connection drops almost immediately.  Have faffed the settings and cleared cache so will give it another go but I also have a Samsung but a Flip Z3 so as my contract is almost up, I may try amd alternative make and see if that solves the problem.  Worked fine with just BT connecting calls and music so not a huge hassle, but for the millisecond mirroring worked, it did look cool.

I have a 2019 superb as well with the analogue dashboard, that one has always been ok

Here comes an update from me. After the latest AA update I have not experienced any problems. I've been driving for over three hours now without the bluetooth disconnecting. Very strange as the problem also existed when I wasn't actively using AA. I wonder if AA has had any background processes that affected the bluetooth? Thank you for sharing the information and experiences, hope we avoid this again.