Front Discs and pads totally shot after 24,000 mls

Bobspence

Brake pedal vibrating and steering wheel wobbling on 2yr old Karoq 1.5 Sportline DSG

suspected warped discs and not covered under warranty which only covers brake discs for 6000mls 

discs and pads replaced today and picture shows inner side of one disc. Mechanic said he’d replaced hundreds on low mileage cars due to poor quality original discs and design of the disc back plate.E0D9D461-475C-4811-A689-28047726CF04.thumb.jpeg.df47166f5af7e19743c1524da7d5c869.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Bobspence said:

Brake pedal vibrating and steering wheel wobbling on 2yr old Karoq 1.5 Sportline DSG

suspected warped discs and not covered under warranty which only covers brake discs for 6000mls 

discs and pads replaced today and picture shows inner side of one disc. Mechanic said he’d replaced hundreds on low mileage cars due to poor quality original discs and design of the disc back plate.E0D9D461-475C-4811-A689-28047726CF04.thumb.jpeg.df47166f5af7e19743c1524da7d5c869.jpeg

Certainly doesn't bode well for the future:sadsmile:

Did the mechanic divulge his wisdom about what he considers incorrect in the desin of the backplate which would cause such corrosion?

It seems to be the week for mechanics speculation on front brake disc dust shields!

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 2

My Karoq 2.0 tdi 4x4 has 45k on clock and still on original discs and pads all round . Told at last service my fronts are 50% worn and rear about 70% worn but still ok

I di a lot of motorway miles and tow a caravan but I drove carefully and use the gears .  It amazes me how many cars I see driving on brakes rather than dropping a gear 

• Like 1

Advice now is to use brakes to slow and gears to go, but unfortunately far too many don't look far enough ahead and consequently do far too much hard braking then wonder why their pads wear so quickly.

That sort of spreading rust is more likely to take a hold on a vehicle where the barkes are rarely and gently used, no good deed gose unpunished.

Sorry for any typos

• Like 1

18 hours ago, J.R. said:

That sort of spreading rust is more likely to take a hold on a vehicle where the barkes are rarely and gently used,

Agree with JR.  Unfortunately in my experience, this seems to affect all main VW brands more than other cars I've owned.  The discs on brand new cars having just been delivered off the transporter before they've had their centre caps fitted?  it's not a good omen.

One tip to prelong length if you don't use the car often like me and are gentle on brakes it to occasionally stamp on the brakes a few times at the start of a journey. I've had the usual warnings about discs and pads when the cars are serviced but so far have been lucky that I've never needed to replace them. Friends and family haven't been as lucky. If I had to replace them, I'd be looking to replacing them with some quality name brand replacements - can't see the point of replacing them with OEM units from VW again.

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 1

Just on price alone you should give VAG a swerve, why pay top money for K-rap?

I use the cheapest discs that I can find, rarely more than ten or fifteen pounds or euros, I find that my (now) moderate driving style leads to glazing and lack of bite, ultimately poor response in an emergency stop and vibration, my cure is the same as KSL but more extreme, I go to a deserted straight downhill stretch close to me and do a series of high speed full emergency stops to a standstill, initially the brakes wont even lock to trigger the ABS, do it too much and you will get brake fade, the ideal is just short of that with smoking pads, keep driving to cool them down again, if you don't then do not apply the handbrake, the heat soak will cook the rear calipers.

The difference in braking response before and after is astonishing and I have never had rusted discs since doing this, in fact I have reclaimed a few on new purchases in the past that were scored and rusted to hell by simply driving in my back then usual lunatic style for a couple of weeks before having the time to replace them.

This last couple of years I have been regularly towing heavy trailers and have not needed to give the good news to the brakes, after 40K miles the discs still look freshly ground like new.