Corrosion on 68 plate Karoq - disappointing

KDW

I own a 68 plate Karoq which was an ex main dealer demo before I purchased it at 8 months old with only 1000 miles on clock.  Owned it since Sep 2019 so had it 3 and a half years and have done 45000.

I always clean my cars by hand, they never go to a carwash and I am meticulous about cleaning and drying off vulnerable areas such as bottoms of doors, door shuts, under wheel arches etc.

Today with weather being finer it has

had a full valet - first really good thorough clean and polish since the winter.  Much to my surprise I discovered the rubber seal on inside of the rear offside door (the curved section that sits on the wheel arch ) has come away.  It appears that the adhesive has failed and the seal has pulled away but it has brought paint with it.  See the attached photo.  There is also evidence of blistering under the unbroken paint which suggest corrosion coming from inside the door. See photo attached !

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so, is this potentially a warranty job.  

IMG_2919.jpeg

IMG_2918.jpeg

I'm no expert, but in my opinion that isn't coming from within the door.  I take it you're going to refer this to Skoda?  It smacks of improperly prepared and painted in the first place.

15 hours ago, KDW said:

Much to my surprise I discovered the rubber seal on inside of the rear offside door (the curved section that sits on the wheel arch ) has come away.  It appears that the adhesive has failed and the seal has pulled away but it has brought paint with it.

Is this a common problem? My 2020 built 2021 registered ex-demo Karoq has thesame rubber seal partially detached on one side too.

Back in 1980, when it was eighteen months old, my mother shut the tailgate on her Fiesta and the glass popped out as the lower flange had virtually gone with no external signs, the dealer refused warranty. Things have improved a LOT.

Just been to my local Skoda dealer - not the one I bought car from as I’ve moved area - and there response was very wishing washy.  They say it has to be sent to body shop for paint inspection along with proof of service history which says it’s had its body inspections.  As service records are online as opposed to the old service books with stamped pages I’ve no idea if it’s had body inspections.  Supposed to be after 3 years then every 2.  That’s what I’ve been told.  However as the car tells you when service is due the history followed mileage as opposed to time scales.  Either way I know when it was in for its MOT on Dec 22 this peeling of the seal had not happened. 

Frustrated that the service manager at dealership seemed to suggest that the car may have had paintwork repair before I bought it .  It was a 9 month old car that had 1000 miles on clock when I bought the car. It had only been in the ownership of a dealer after being a purchasing mistake  (customer wanted auto but the garage mistake was to order a manual which the customer rejected.

if Skoda don’t acknowledge this is a manufacturer fault and repair this under warranty I will be kicking up a stink and they will lose a potential customer as I was keen to buy another Skoda later in year 

• Like 1

First off.

The Warranty Terms do not mention 'Body Inspections, Annual, Bi-annual or Periodic.

It used to over a decade ago when there were Service Books with a page after the Minor & Major Services with a Diagram.  Before things went online.

Main Dealer Services as shown on Skoda UK Websites show 'Body & Glass' Inspections as part of a service. 

As far as a Non Factory Specification repair or by a Non Approved Repairer, the 'Examination will measure and inspect the area' and see if a repaired area. 

*These inspection by an Independent Expert were arranged by a Warranty Manager in the past and still should be with a report going to Skoda / VW UK,

no need for you to be inconvenienced as that can be carried out by them meeting you at the dealership or coming to your home or place of work.'*

In the past people who were told they would have to pay for an inspection might call their bluff, commission the inspection and then charge Skoda for that, 

then Skoda started ignoring the Company they used usually if a owner got a report that Skoda / VW UK disagreed with.*

Usually the person rejecting the report and no Training or Qualification on Body or Paint or Motor Vehicles, just a Resolution or Communications manager.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/456455-rust-around-fuel-filler-door/page/2

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/512255-warranty-cleam-for-corrosion-rejected-by-skoda

Skoda / VW UK know that at Services there are not Body Inspections being carried out in many of their Franchised Dealerships, 

but then they have not in the T&C's of the Body Corrosion Warranty stated that these are required.

Part of the Fixed Price Servicing & Maintenance Menus since before 2010 though. 

SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2021 (2).pdf

1039190636_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_36.jpg.994d2b104123865330d493df0f73629e.jpg

1025295341_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_17.jpg.f3e4a6dc63cb89105f9b1ac440bb1614.jpg

Edited by toot

On 17/04/2023 at 10:12, Dappernut said:

I'm no expert, but in my opinion that isn't coming from within the door.  I take it you're going to refer this to Skoda?  It smacks of improperly prepared and painted in the first place.

That’s my first thoughts 

Good luck.  I've had dealings with VAG cars and corrosion.  Always the same response:

1. Need to check paintwork was inspected at service (never is)

2. Rust is on outside and not from inside and is not perforated. i.e not covered

3. Rust has come about due to external mechanical damage e.g wheel arch cover, boot handle. I.e not covered.

I found that searching online for similar issues points to some dealers being better than others for accepting warranty claims.   It's the dealer attitude that makes or brakes this I'm afraid.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.  

• Like 1

Just to add my tuppence worth...

20 hours ago, KDW said:

if Skoda don’t acknowledge this is a manufacturer fault and repair this under warranty I will be kicking up a stink and they will lose a potential customer as I was keen to buy another Skoda later in year

1st thing to establish - is the car still covered by warranty?  It's bloody hard work to find out any information these days, but the reason I ask is you say this dislodged rubber seat wasn't apparent at the time of the MOT, we therefore assume it happened afterwards. Now if the seal developed a problem when the car was outside it's std 3yr warranty and the rust resulted from that broken seal, then my understanding would be it's not covered under the corrosion warranty.

20 hours ago, KDW said:

Just been to my local Skoda dealer - not the one I bought car from as I’ve moved area - and there response was very wishing washy.  They say it has to be sent to body shop for paint inspection along with proof of service history which says it’s had its body inspections.

One crucial piece of info I can't see from above is has the car always been serviced / maintained by a main Skoda agent. If it has then I'm not sure why they're bothering to suggest asking for proof of inspection. If however the car has been outside the Skoda empire for servicing then you'd absolutely have to have proof for the manufacturer to pay for the repair.

I haven't a clue about the 3yr / 2yr inspection dates. What I can say is that there will be some wording in the warranty which refers to the car having to be serviced and maintained according to the manufacturers recommendations ( or words to that effect ).  I'm looking at my last service sheet right now and under the 'Vehicle exterior' section, there is a checkbox for:

Interior and exterior body: inspecting for corrosion with doors and flaps open

Obviously can't comment on other dealers but my dealer has ticked the above box. ( would love to be a fly on the wall when they carry out this inspection becuse I doubt it'll be no more than a glance.  But that's not the point, the point is they've confirmed the car has been checked ).

On 17/04/2023 at 10:12, Dappernut said:

But more an expert than me 🤣   I'd be tempted to lift the whole seal and see if there's any sign of rust elsewhere. If it's only where the seal has come away then the probability is it's a result of a broken seal.

As I said above, my concern would be was that seal issue a result of a manufacturing defect?

OP - you may have to rely on goodwill. If the car has only ever been serviced and maintained by Skoda then personally I'd be hammering home this point to the dealer as well as Skoda - you may end up with goodwill even if out of warranty.  Good luck.

Edited by kodiaqsportline