DSG7 Recall advice (accumulator component)

Hey brains trust,

I recently picked up a used 2014 Octavia 1.4tsi / DSG 7 speed 

98,000km’s (60,000 miles)

Previous owner purchased it new and it seems to have been looked after (from what my untrained eye can tell)

Amongst the paperwork in the glove box I noticed that it was never serviced by Skoda and I also found a recall letter address to the owner. (attached)

They didn’t mention this during the sale which slightly annoyed me as it didn’t cross my mind to check the VIN for recalls before I bought it. 
After a big of digging around on here I’m a little sceptical of the car now. 

I immediately called them back asking if the work was carried out and they said yes it was. 

I just want to know, can I call the dealer to double check this? (Will they know or disclose this to me given I’m not the original owner)

The car seems to change gears from 1st to 2nd very quickly and takes of from stationary stop quite slowly. Is this normal? 

Also, has anyone else had this issue fixed on their car, and if so how reliable was the gearbox afterwards? 

Cheers 

BD7816A7-DECC-4222-A6F8-C2B30CADD047.jpeg

10 hours ago, JamesGornell said:

The car seems to change gears from 1st to 2nd very quickly and takes of from stationary stop quite slowly. Is this normal? 

If it's anything like a 1.6tdi with 7speed DSG I would say yes to both. 1st gear seems to be pointless as it shifts to 2nd almost instantly and always a bit lagging when trying to start from stationery. 

@JamesGornellThat Recall might be because the 'Service Campaign / Recall Action'  as started in Europe in 2017 on 2013-2015 DQ200's was missed in NewZealand, 

or like in Australia in 2019 had to be done / restarted.

That was '34H5' in Europe and a Software Update only.      The 4 hour in NewZealand is the same as the 2012 Recall which was '34F7' when new MCU's were fitted.  Ask at a dealership, or ask Skoda.

'34F7' http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/315115-service-campaigndq200-dsg-oil-changeecu-update-fabias-in-uk  See first post re New Zealand.

'34H5' http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/425424-2017-another-dq200-7-speed-dsg-service-campaign

There is another Service Campaign that i have only seen reported by a member from Israel.

Then the one in Australia again in 2019.

See post by @OzFabiawho is in Australia.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/315115-service-campaign-dq200-dsg-oil-changeecu-update-fabia-in-uk/page/9

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/315115-service-campaign-dq200-dsg-oio-changeecu-update-fabias-in-uk/page/8

A DQ200 DSG will change up to 2nd very quickly from starting off, maybe even by 6 mph / 10 kmph as the doors are auto locking.

It might not drop into 1st when stopping until you are almost stopped. 

If concerned in New Zealand about your DSG talk to Skoda because Skoda NZ are  surely not like Skoda / VW Europe were they treat the owners like crap.

In China VW Group put 10 year / 100,000 mile warranties on the DQ200 DSG,s when the 2012 World Wide REcall which excluded Europe was started.

So surely after a 2020 recall in New Zealand Skoda can not just wash their hands of an issue / fault if there are any.

I suspect your DSG is fine though. 

PS

A DQ200 DSG in a 1.4 TSI in an Octavia is the same box as in a heavier 1.6TDI Superb but with different Software, but really comparing them is like apples and pears.

The RPM change ups obviously are very different, but the speed is much of a muchness. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Gammyleg said:

If it's anything like a 1.6tdi with 7speed DSG I would say yes to both. 1st gear seems to be pointless as it shifts to 2nd almost instantly and always a bit lagging when trying to start from stationery. 

I'll agree on your 1st point, but lagging? not in my experience.

6 hours ago, toot said:

@JamesGornellThat Recall might be because the 'Service Campaign / Recall Action'  as started in Europe in 2017 on 2013-2015 DQ200's was missed in NewZealand, 

or like in Australia in 2019 had to be done / restarted.

That was '34H5' in Europe and a Software Update only.      The 4 hour in NewZealand is the same as the 2012 Recall which was '34F7' when new MCU's were fitted.  Ask at a dealership, or ask Skoda.

'34F7' http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/315115-service-campaigndq200-dsg-oil-changeecu-update-fabias-in-uk  See first post re New Zealand.

'34H5' http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/425424-2017-another-dq200-7-speed-dsg-service-campaign

There is another Service Campaign that i have only seen reported by a member from Israel.

Then the one in Australia again in 2019.

See post by @OzFabiawho is in Australia.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/315115-service-campaign-dq200-dsg-oil-changeecu-update-fabia-in-uk/page/9

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/315115-service-campaign-dq200-dsg-oio-changeecu-update-fabias-in-uk/page/8

A DQ200 DSG will change up to 2nd very quickly from starting off, maybe even by 6 mph / 10 kmph as the doors are auto locking.

It might not drop into 1st when stopping until you are almost stopped. 

If concerned in New Zealand about your DSG talk to Skoda because Skoda NZ are  surely not like Skoda / VW Europe were they treat the owners like crap.

In China VW Group put 10 year / 100,000 mile warranties on the DQ200 DSG,s when the 2012 World Wide REcall which excluded Europe was started.

So surely after a 2020 recall in New Zealand Skoda can not just wash their hands of an issue / fault if there are any.

I suspect your DSG is fine though. 

PS

A DQ200 DSG in a 1.4 TSI in an Octavia is the same box as in a heavier 1.6TDI Superb but with different Software, but really comparing them is like apples and pears.

The RPM change ups obviously are very different, but the speed is much of a muchness. 

Called the Skoda dealer that the car was purchased from.
They were more than happy to help confirming the work was done and even providing me with the invoice (they did hide the costs though)

See what was done, I hope this helps someone else at some point 👍

1D75CEA5-6540-4B64-82B4-747FF9E5ECF6.jpeg

Edited by JamesGornell
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, JamesGornell said:

confirming the work was done and even providing me with the invoice

*EDIT*

The invoice doesn't mention any type of software updates (i.e 34H5) , @toot do you think they would have carried out any updated necessary as best practice when they did this work? (even if it's not been listed)

• Like 1

They have gone beyond anything that VW Group / Skoda have done in Europe,

just as happened in New Zealand with the 2012 Recall where new MCU's were fitted.   They are fixing a possible fault, dangerous event like loss of drive.

Software update '34H5' was likely a VW attempt of as cheap a possible fix they could get away with when started in 2017 on some 2013-2015 DQ200's.

By 2020 they appear to be doing what they had to in New Zealand to fix a fundamental design, manufacturing or material fault.

Probably because New Zealand's courts or authority could tear them a new one as Ausstralia, China, North America, Canada can.

In Europe VW is the boss and they get away with any old crap. 

PS

I hope you do not mind if i link this thread  when those on here that get landed with cars that cost them a couple of thousand quid to fix because of a failed DQ200 DSG that VW Group / Skoda just wash their hands of because out of Manufacturers Warranty. 

As it is people have had to go for Kits others have produced and manufactured and paid their own money because VW Group are chancers that get away with their behaviour in Europe. 

Edited by toot
  • Love it! 1

8 hours ago, ords said:

I'll agree on your 1st point, but lagging? not in my experience.

By 'lagging' I mean that I need to give the loud pedal a bit of a shove to get an instant-ish response. A light footed approach gets a yawn, a stretch and an 'OK if I must'.

As for the OP's Skoda Invoice, I'd be interested to know what item 104 Repair Kit entails?

2 minutes ago, Gammyleg said:

I need to give the loud pedal a bit of a shove to get an instant-ish response. A light footed approach gets a yawn, a stretch and an 'OK if I must'.

This is exactly how mine feels. 
Also curious about what’s in the “kit”

@toot No problem with you sharing. 

To your point, I think here in NZ European cars have a bit of stigma around reliability and cost of servicing/repairs as we are so far away it’s always been that Euro cars cost a lot more than Asian. 
Japanese cars dominate over here, maybe now that NZ police fleet has moved to Skoda they are playing nice to keep up a good rep? 

There are not that many actually sold and on the roads that doing the correct fixes break the VW Groups bank.

As to the 2016 on DQ200's, someone might look at the parts and see if the accumulator is different from the DQ200's built late 2012-2015.

The Australian recall does include 2016 vehicles.  So possibly production of the DSG's in 2015.  Skoda build around 2,500 a day for the VW group in busy times.

http://drive.com.au/news/new-recall-of-80-000-volkswagen-audi-and-skoda-cars-with-dsg-gearboxes-some-for-the-second-time-in-six-years

Edited by toot