Wheel spacers and Bolts, Size??

Alfred_M

Hi,

recently got some new rims for my Mk2 Octavia, want to get the fitment on the rear slightly better though.

Anyone know the type and length of bolt needed. I'm putting a 10mm spacers on, can give more info if needed.

Thank you 🙌

IMG_0318.JPG

Edited by Alfred_M

• Alfred_M changed the title to Wheel spacers and Bolts, Size??
4 hours ago, Carlston said:

EIBACH S1-6-14-50-37-17 Wheel Bolt (for 10mm wheel spacers)

Are there any other differences in such extended wheel bolts (other than the length, of course)?

6 hours ago, MikeTheThinker said:

Are there any other differences in such extended wheel bolts (other than the length, of course)?

Apart from the 10mm difference in length, the head has been hollowed out on the standard wheel bolt to save weight, as you can see in the photo below. Other than that, they are the same specification.

Notice that the Eibach part numbers are almost the same, except for the 27 and 37 which represents the length of the thread in millimetres.

EIBACH S1-6-14-50-27-17 Standard Wheel Bolt

h-preview.jpg

thumb?id=1931742&m=0&n=3&lng=en&ccf=94077839

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/eibach/1931742?search=EIBACH Wheel Bolt (S1-6-14-50-27-17)

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

On 01/05/2023 at 17:51, Alfred_M said:

can give more info if needed.

Do you know that the rims have radius seats for the wheel bolts, rather than taper seats?

Type of bolt needs to match seat type.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Do you know that the rims have radius seats for the wheel bolts, rather than taper seats?

Type of bolt needs to match seat type.

It looks like Alfred has aftermarket alloy rims.

If so, then aftermarket alloy rims usually have cone shaped seats.

So those Eibach S1-6-14-50-37-17 wheel bolts won't fit the aftermarket alloy rims correctly.

Aftermarket alloy rims often have a bigger centre bore than 57.1mm, therefore requiring a spigot to be used to centre the rim correctly on the hub.

Ball shaped seats = spherical seats = sphere shaped seats

Cone shaped seats = conical seats = taper seats

So slightly different descriptions for the same thing.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

@Carlston they are aftermarket yes, They are Rial rims not sure what name they are though. they came with spigot rings when i brought them 70.0 - 57.1 and as I'm aware they were installed with the factory bolts, got them installed at a local tyre shop from a mate, so what bolt should I be looking for now do you think ?

42 minutes ago, Alfred_M said:

@Carlston they are aftermarket yes, They are Rial rims not sure what name they are though. they came with spigot rings when i brought them 70.0 - 57.1 and as I'm aware they were installed with the factory bolts, got them installed at a local tyre shop from a mate, so what bolt should I be looking for now do you think ?

Wheel bolts with ball shaped seats are often incorrectly used in rims that are machined to accept wheel bolts with cone shaped seats.

I don't know what type of seat has been machined into the Rial rims. I suspect it's cone shaped. Maybe ask Rial?

Whatever type of wheel bolts you use, it's very important to check that the wheel bolts are a suitable length and are inserted with a suitable number of turns. I usually want at least 6.5 turns if it's a 1.5mm thread pitch (probably at least 8 turns if it's a finer 1.25mm thread pitch) and I would always count the turns carefully if fitting different rims and/or different wheel bolts.

Skodas/VAGs tend to use wheel bolts with 1.5mm pitch threads.

Edited by Carlston

4 minutes ago, Carlston said:

Wheel bolts with ball shaped seats are often incorrectly used in rims that are machined to accept wheel bolts with cone shaped seats.

I don't know what type of seat has been machined into the Rial rims. I suspect it's cone shaped. Maybe ask Rial?

Whatever type of wheel bolts you use, it's very important to check that they are being inserted enough turns. I usually want at least 6.5 turns if it's a 1.5mm thread pitch (probably at least 8 turns if it's a finer 1.25mm thread pitch) and I would always count the turns carefully if fitting different rims and/or different wheel bolts.

Aw okie dokie I'll delve a bit deeper and give Rial a message, thank you again this is all so helpful. love this forum !