It's broken again

Initial issue, the car would run fine but then judder for quite some time, I replaced the wires for the coils and that seemed to solve that issue, it ran fine for a few months and then started loosing power at 50mph but when I pulled over and restarted the car the problem would go away , and then it wouldn't start at all, So after quite some time of trying to find where the problem lays with my car, and buying and replacing parts with my mechanic we still can't get it to run, this new problem started with the imobaliser light not going off and the car not recognising the key, the car would fire and then cut out, so they keys got replaced and then the car just wouldn't start at all, replaced the camshaft sensor (nothing) replaced the ignition barrel switch ( nothing) mechanic did something with the fuel pump and it fired but wouldn't run, replaced the old tandem pump ( starts but won't run) we are at our Whits end now and haven't a clue where to look to fix it, it's been off the road now for a month and we need it working asap as I need it for work, if anyone can be of any assistance that would be most helpful 

From your description it sounds as though your car is a petrol model.  What model and what engine?

No coils or coil wires then on a diesel hence the confusion.

Your problem is almost certainly immobiliser related, had the instrument cluster been removed before the problem or were there any signs of it misbehaving?

You need to have a VCDS or similar scan to reveal what part of the immobiliser system is not working or misfunctioning, I reckon it no longer recognises your ignition key(s), did you perhaps replace the keyfob or its battery before the problem?

In any case playing parts bingo is achieving nothing other than emptying your wallet.

31 minutes ago, boggy3 said:

so they keys got replaced and then the car just wouldn't start at all,

This sounds like a key moment, were the RFID chips swopped from the old to the new keys or were they new keys from Skoda? If the latter was the instrument console reprogrammed to delete the old RFID data and to accept the new?

The keys were done by an auto locksmith who reprogrammed the car to sort the keys, could this be the issue if this hasn't been done correctly?

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

No coils or coil wires then on a diesel hence the confusion.

Your problem is almost certainly immobiliser related, had the instrument cluster been removed before the problem or were there any signs of it misbehaving?

You need to have a VCDS or similar scan to reveal what part of the immobiliser system is not working or misfunctioning, I reckon it no longer recognises your ignition key(s), did you perhaps replace the keyfob or its battery before the problem?

In any case playing parts bingo is achieving nothing other than emptying your wallet.

Before the problem started I did drop the key and the little glass reader got broken, hence the need for new keys and it's been a large problem since, its firing but won't run

11 minutes ago, boggy3 said:

Before the problem started I did drop the key and the little glass reader got broken, hence the need for new keys and it's been a large problem since, its firing but won't run

I'm pretty much dead certain that JR is correct about it being the immobiliser. More wallet pain here I'm afraid.

• Like 1

So I've had my mechanic do a check and the imobaliser is authorising start to the engine, it starts but then dies so it's not the imobaliser 

2 minutes ago, boggy3 said:

So I've had my mechanic do a check and the imobaliser is authorising start to the engine, it starts but then dies so it's not the imobaliser 

Immobiliser issues allow you to start the engine and lets it run for around 10 seconds, then cuts the engine.

IF it isnt the immobiliser (and theres a strong case fir it to be this) i would be looking at a bad earth somewhere after the loom work was done.

Its the immobiliser, on my MK2 it ran for a couple of seconds barely.

The glass tube is the RFID chip so will be foutu and cannot be copied.

Did you have another working key that the new keys were cloned from?

If not then its a main dealer job at IIRC around £350 although some of the more dodgy individuals may have the means to over-ride the immobiliser settings AKA steal your car or any other, I would not be wanting to deal with them and would go the main dealer route which will disable any other keys that may be out there, it's not a bad price really, better than replacing lock barrels and gives you the ultimate security.

Another option could be a matching ECU, instrument cluster and keys from an identical scrap vehicle, likely to cost more than the main dealer route and bring loads of grief and additional programming expense with it.

4 hours ago, boggy3 said:

Before the problem started I did drop the key and the little glass reader got broken

If your mechanic was aware of that and if it was the only key then he should never have done any of the needless work that you have been charged for.

3 hours ago, boggy3 said:

It absolutely is the immobiliser, that is exactly what it would do if a non recognised RFID key was used to try and start the engine, he does not know what he is talking about.

4 hours ago, boggy3 said:

Is this something my mechanic can fix at the garage or would I have to phone out another auto locksmith?

TBH its sounds like your mechanic is way beyond his competence level and costing you wasted money.

I believe a locksmith can only clone a working key, not create a new RFID key if the others are lost or broken, try around, I hope you will prove me wrong.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If your mechanic was aware of that and if it was the only key then he should never have done any of the needless work that you have been charged for.

It absolutely is the immobiliser, that is exactly what it would do if a non recognised RFID key was used to try and start the engine, he does not know what he is talking about.

TBH its sounds like your mechanic is way beyond his competence level and costing you wasted money.

I believe a locksmith can only clone a working key, not create a new RFID key if the others are lost or broken, try around, I hope you will prove me wrong.

I'll ring the skoda garage in the morning to see if they can fix it, I appreciate your help on this

• Like 1