Dashboard trim painting

b1ackb1rd

I've acquired a used centre console and armrest for a very nice price that is finished in beige,  I am looking to match it to my black dash - does anyone know of a paint that will match?  

If its leather then Gliptone do some matched and non matched products to colour or hide scuffs etc don't know if they are suitable for non leather ... might be worth asking.

Sorry folks, I wasn't clear - it's the rigid plastic of the console I want to paint, the actual resting pad is beige leather and I shall dye that black

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I very much doubt that you'll get a paint / dye that lasts more than a couple of weeks. Flexible materials and finished plastics are very difficult to paint, non-porous fabrics are more or less impossible to dye.

I know this because I once tried to paint the nicotine-stained headlining of my first car, a second-hand Vauxhall Cavalier, using black acrylic lacquer. Attempting this in winter was, in hindsight, a poor decision, because while it was too cold to drive with the windows open, driving with them closed led to several near misses and hallucinations on account of the fumes.

Honestly, just stick with the beige. 

Thanks all. 

I have the whole console assembly including the leather armrest for £25 delivered so I've got nothing to lose by spraying the plastic bits black - I've had success with leather dying in the past, and going TO black is easier than going the other way. 

This is a great upgrade for S models that don't have the armrest console as standard, it's surprising how much difference it makes. 

12 hours ago, muppix said:

Honestly, just stick with the beige. 

And start chain smoking to have a matching headlining!

6 minutes ago, b1ackb1rd said:

Thanks all. 

I have the whole console assembly including the leather armrest for £25 delivered so I've got nothing to lose by spraying the plastic bits black - I've had success with leather dying in the past, and going TO black is easier than going the other way. 

This is a great upgrade for S models that don't have the armrest console as standard, it's surprising how much difference it makes. 

Is it like the Jumbo box on Octavias?

Its something that my car really lacked and I bought one from Ali-Express (thanks to a tip off by Mike The Thinker👍), it wobbles a bit compared to a proper Jumbo box but is easily removeable which due to the very restricted loading area in the Yeti I frequently have to do, only yesterday in fact for a box 1.66m long x 60cm wide which the octavia would have swallowed.

Is your OE box removeable? Does it project behind the front seats? - Something maybe to bear in mind.

I also modified an Octavia ashtray cover flap to cover the open storage cubby in front of the gearlever, it always looked tatty and unfinished and I did not like having the junk I keep in there Storecards, business cards, trolley tokens etc etc on show plus it filled up with dust.

I also fitted a dashtop storage box from a higher spec model which gives a flush surface rather than the stupid recessed tray that gathered dust and stuff slid around in on corners.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, muppix said:

...... I very much doubt that you'll get a paint / dye that lasts more than a couple of weeks. Flexible materials and finished plastics are very difficult to paint, non-porous fabrics are more or less impossible to dye.

I have say that it is indeed possible to successfully paint flexible plastic. About 8 years ago I spray painted my beige pvc seats in my MG Midget with a couple of Halford's vinyl black paint rattle cans. They still look good.

• Like 1

That will be excellent then, far more solid than my Ali-Express one, bear in mind the probable rear projection though if you intend using the load space.

Forget that, I see you have already fitted one to the other Yeti!

There are hundreds of Yeti's being broken - just buy the parts you need from a car with a black interior.

Painting beige to black will never last. Been there, done that.

• Like 1

Just typical UK population "throwaway" mentality. 

As soon as something goes wrong people just scrap the car and get another - I saw one of my neighbours scrap her perfectly good 2007 Vauxhall Vectra last week because one of the headlamp bulbs needed replacing and she couldn't do it - so instead called the local scrappers to come tow it away & she bought a Tiguan to replace it with.

I offered to replace the bulb for her but she said she didn't care about the old car & couldn't be bothered getting it repaired and just wanted a new one.

That car has since been stripped - perfectly good car just needed a bulb....

• Sad 2

On 30/05/2023 at 10:15, 137699 said:

There are hundreds of Yeti's being broken - just buy the parts you need from a car with a black interior.

Painting beige to black will never last. Been there, done that.

100's being scrapped? - I doubt that but lets say there are, how many will be high spec models with the jumbo box?

How many of those will be L&K models with leather trim?

How many will have the desired Black leather trim?

It sounds like Blackbird has already gone through the limited number of consoles from cars being broken and chosen what was probably the only one. Were there a black one available he would have bought it.

22 hours ago, J.R. said:

100's being scrapped? - I doubt that but lets say there are, how many will be high spec models with the jumbo box?

How many of those will be L&K models with leather trim?

How many will have the desired Black leather trim?

It sounds like Blackbird has already gone through the limited number of consoles from cars being broken and chosen what was probably the only one. Were there a black one available he would have bought it.

Just done a search on ebay - for used yeti armrest - 40 are returned, of which 17 are leather, 16x black & 1x brown.
And that's without trying breakeryard, gumtree, fb marketplace etc.

So wow yes impossible to get in the right colour....

Edited by 137699
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I ran out of time as I need the car with armrest for a journey tomorrow, it's in, I've not had chance even to clean it yet - it looks weird, but it works. 

IMG_20230601_112635.jpg

IMG_20230601_123939.jpg

• Like 1