Adblue top up not registering

More issues with my Superb .

I have a check engine light on after replacing the water pump. I also have an Adblue warning I have 500 miles left and car will stop. I topped up with 10 litres of Adblue but it still says the same message ie. no extra miles. We have used the car since and no change.

So is this another failure I have to fix or is there a magic button somewhere?

Cheers guys

There's normally no reset needed. The "gauge" detects the refill and resets the warning on its own.

The warning disappears as soon as you restart the engine after top up.

I would go to a Skoda dealer to check what's the problem.

Or at least have a VCDS scan to see whether there's any fault code.

Have a look elsewhere on the forum, I don't have Adblue so dont pay much attention but your words " topped up to over flowing" rang a bell.

I'm fairly sure that I read if the tank is overfilled it will damage the sensor or something causing the problem that you have.

Maybe someone else will recall or have the details.

I replied to your PM regarding my VCDS.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

Try turning the ignition on but not starting the car and leave it for a few minutes.

Did the car not specify an amount to adblue to put in? Mine gives a minimum and maximum value to add, I'm not sure why but like @J.R. has mentioned, there has been instances where filling it right to the top has confused or upset the level measuring system.

I would continue driving it for a now and see if the reading comes back on its own, of course the worry is that if it continues to count down then it may not be possible to drive it.

@J.R.There are various threads about on the not putting enough in to have it register.

More on the Failures of the SCR / Adblue system and Dealership staff accusing the owner of overfilling, even when it was a dealership that did the topping up. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/496004-adblue-error

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/461221-early-adblue-top-up

@J.R.eg

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/467271-adblue

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/446243-adblue

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/476331-can-i-reset-adblue-warning-after-daft-mistake

Edited by toot

We got the message and added 5 litres. Checked and drove quite a way. The message remained so next day we went and bought another 5 litres and same thing  - no change to mileage left. So we bought another 5 litres and this was not all put in. No change to the warning message. So it was not overfilling that caused this although it is full now because of the fault - I did not cause the fault by overfilling.

There is no message in the system to tell me capacity at all. No way of knowing how much is in the tank. I could hear it going into the tank so there was a low level.

We have done plenty of  miles over several days so plenty of time for the system to register.

The system should register the top up when you turn on the ignition (should be off while topping up) and leave it for at least 30 seconds before starting the engine.  If it's still showing by the time that you get around to starting the engine then it's unlikely to clear after that

Today we went to Skoda dealer in Brive. We were turned away even though we explained the car would die in 250 miles and we had to get a ferry 600 miles away. They would not even connect a scanner for me to see any fault codes. They suggested that sometimes the warning is false and so just keep driving!!

We then arranged to go back to the guy who fitted the water pump although his software was only up to 2013. He got 2 fault codes - Injector fault on No1 cylinder and Engine thermostat fault. These were news to me as the car was running fine. He could do no more with his system but got us into a local garage with upto date scanner. This guy came out and immediately got to work as a favour.

He was having a problem identifying what was wrong. The eventual decision was a Adblu tank sensor failure. This would cost #600 to replace + labour and could not be done before we left. He did not give up but went and checked under the bonnet and pointed out the Asdblu injector. We both instantly spotted the unconnected connector in front of the water reservoir - he said this was the injector sensor cable. So no wonder the Asdblu top up was not recognised it was not connected. Furthermore the actual connecter seemed to be connected to the wrong plug on the engine so the wires were all crossed. That would give false Injector fault and false thermostat fault? Once the wiring was corrected he reset the system and the faults cleared. I went for a test run and it came up with 8500 miles Adblu capacity.

What a stressful day going from planning a transporter for the car back to UK to having it fixed and functional.

So there you go -  a simple error on refitting the wiring led us on a merry chase around the dealers watching our car bricking point loom closer.

Phew!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you think the connectors got crossed when the guy was reassembling after the waterpump replacement?

Bad design that 2 adjacent connectors did not have a polarising key to prevent misconnection.

Did you manage all of this speaking English? If so you were darn lucky that it happened down here and not in Les Hauts de France, I had to speak only French from day one 18 years ago up there, when I was hospitalised down here recently the staff were amazed that I could speak French and they didn't have to communicate in English.

I'm glad that you are sorted and can now finally begin to enjoy your holiday although it may take a couple more days before you feel really confident about the car but it sounds to me like everything is fixed and the gods are now smiling on you!

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Bad design that 2 adjacent connectors did not have a polarising key to prevent misconnection.

Its not a bad design because you might be able to get one pair together but the remaining pair don't reach other so it should be pretty damn obvious that something is not right. 😂

To think this cretin has worked on the timing belt is worrying.

• Sad 1

It was definitely an error when the water pump was fitted. The fault light came on within a short drive of collecting the car. Had I lifted the bonnet I would have spotted the plugless connector as it was very obvious not hidden under the engine cover. I have to be slightly careful criticising the fitter as he was doing me a favour changing the pump without which we would be stuck with no car as no main dealer would assist. It is hard to find a garage that will jump in to help when you are not a local. He did a job which I know is a pain and he probabaly rushed the reconnection. The other technician spoke some English so we were lucky that many French can speak enough English to get by with us foreigners although they often do not admit this. We have had nothing but kind assistance from the local French during all of our stay here.

The car seems to be behaving so I hope the timing is all OK. I am not taking it any further as it was a recommendation from our B&B hosts who lent us their car and towed my trailer to the house for us when my car was off the road. It would just cause embarrassment to people who had been so kind. A mistake which in the end did not cause harm I think so let it go.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, freddyuk said:

The other technician spoke some English so we were lucky that many French can speak enough English to get by with us foreigners although they often do not admit this

No, you were lucky that you were visiting a region over-run by English speakers with a similar attitude :sad:

I can tell you from having lived 18 years in the real (French) France that you have no idea just how lucky you were or how it would have turned out elsewhere and that the vast majority of English in my new region have never realised either hence the proliferation of that unfortunate colonial mindset.

Had you towed a trailer to France with you?

My comment was anecdotal.

I did bring a trailer. We are buying a house. I did not pick the region for the fact it is overrun with English we just wanted something away from the known English hotspots but they/we seem to be everywhere.

We are learning more French language of course. I am very happy with our reception by the local French. We will reciprocate.

I'm oversensitive because I have moved (for a variety of reasons) to not far from to the epicentre of English ghettos in Dordogneshire, I hear that sort of stuff all the time and from people who have in many cases been here 30 years without learning any French, the concentration is so high and the willingless of the French to adapt to the unreasonable demands mean that it is easy to do so and live in this area without ever mentally leaving the UK which absolutely is not the case in the rest of France.

I am close enough  to be able to dip in and out as I desire to profit from some of the positive things but far enough away to not be called on for handholding and translation at every opportunity.

Good luck with your house purchase, a trailer is indeed one of the first things to either buy or bring over, my collection numbers 9 now including the caravan that I am living in while clearing the land and doing the renovation.

Thank you. I am not one of those thankfully. We are fully prepared to integrate and already doing so. It is pure accident my neighbours include two English in this tiny hamlet but there are French farmers  and apparently a French motorbikers clubhouse for summer visits across the lane to keep a balance. My local pub restaurant was a real surprise bonus located on a river in a pretty village. The pub has been owned by an Irish family for many years and they have guinness on tap. The food is excellent. That was not planned just a fluke.

Good luck with your renovation. I have the same job although removing the previous owners poor efforts makes the job more complicated and expensive.

The car seems to be back to normal so fingers crossed we get back OK. Next trip being booked as we going to miss the place for a few weeks.

On 29/05/2023 at 15:51, freddyuk said:

More issues with my Superb .

I have a check engine light on after replacing the water pump. I also have an Adblue warning I have 500 miles left and car will stop. I topped up with 10 litres of Adblue but it still says the same message ie. no extra miles. We have used the car since and no change.

So is this another failure I have to fix or is there a magic button somewhere?

Cheers guys

In relation to the AdBlue have you turned the ignition on and left it for 30 seconds before but starting the engine? If not try that and then it should register you have topped it up. It took the next time I turned the engine on for the light to go out.