SKODA OCATAVIA ESTATE 2012 FUEL CONSUMPTION AND GEAR ISSUES

Hello Skoda family, I just got a skoda octavia from a car dealer and I've got 3 months warranty ending soon. I noticed recently the car is consuming lots of fuel and I took it in for a service at a Skoda garage DM Keith and still its averaging at 40 miles per gallon and also during the health check  I was told that the gearbox has a sign  of previous repair or strip down. How do I know if the car is still safe for driving or I need to return back to the dealer.

Also what is the average consumption for a 1.6 Litre diesel engine with a DSG gearbox? Any help or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have the air conditioning on? it does make a big difference I noticed my milage was low getting 35 to 38 per gallon just locally driving, turned the air con off getting 48 to 49 mpg locally, and on a long run once with the air con off got it to 60 mpg.

As to the gear box mine is a manual so can't really comment, does it drive ok is there any service history?.

3 hours ago, Radiogaga said:

I noticed my milage was low getting 35 to 38 per gallon just locally driving, turned the air con off getting 48 to 49 mpg locally

Your AC system refrigerant is undercharged.

On 17/06/2023 at 20:57, J.R. said:

Your AC system refrigerant is undercharged.

Had the AC done this morning I have a friend that does AC recharging Phoned him and told him what you said, he said bring it down and we will have a look so we extracted the gas and  weighed it, it was down by 150 grams you would not think that it would make a difference, but it does seem to be colder as to the milage I will monitor it over a day or two and let you know.

• Like 1

It makes a huge difference to the power consumed by the pump.

My first ever car with AC was a Sierra & I did not know what to expect, it used measurably more fuel when it was witched on and I could even feel the performance loss.

Eventually it stopped cooling & I went to a Fred in a Shed rechare bod, he had a great big Freon cylinder which he heated up with a propane gas cannon to get to vaporise, during the filling I noticed the aircon clutch engaging & disengaging, I said to him "something is wrong there, it never did that before", he laughed & told me that is what it is supposed to do when the system is cooling properly, cut in and out like a fridge thermostat.

Like you I had ice cool aircon for the first time and thereafter I could not measure any MPG drop when I used the aircon or feel any power loss, the engine revs no longer dropped when I switched it on.

It will of course have used fuel but it was no longer measurable.

So really if it is very warm and you want the interior cool the AC is doing cooling.

Worth it's weight / cost to run surely.

AC on and maybe you want 15*oC in the car and it is 21*oC outside, is different from 29*oC outside and wanting 14*oC in the cabin.

Good to have th choice if you want.

As to the DQ200 DSG.

Service Campaign '34H7' from 2014 was on ones from 2009-2012, pre summer build.  MCU issue, synthetic oil changed to mineral & a software update.

2012 from the MY 13 cars got nothing.  (sad for many owners because they had a high number of issues, by Skoda / VW were in denial. but we found the truth out later'.

2013-2015 got Service Campaign '34H5' started in 2017 in the UK / Europe for a software update because of accumulator failures. a preventative measure.

Then there are generally MCU failures, or selectors or clutch packs.  

Plenty reason a DQ200 DSG might have been worked on, they were not all bad, but fitted to a 1.6 TDI CR there was a higher risk of issues.

On 17/06/2023 at 17:39, Radiogaga said:

Do you have the air conditioning on? it does make a big difference I noticed my milage was low getting 35 to 38 per gallon just locally driving, turned the air con off getting 48 to 49 mpg locally, and on a long run once with the air con off got it to 60 mpg.

As to the gear box mine is a manual so can't really comment, does it drive ok is there any service history?.

I have stopped switching on the AC and it is still down a bit in the urban area.

I haven't been able to take it on the motorway yet though.

3 hours ago, Radiogaga said:

Had the AC done this morning I have a friend that does AC recharging Phoned him and told him what you said, he said bring it down and we will have a look so we extracted the gas and  weighed it, it was down by 150 grams you would not think that it would make a difference, but it does seem to be colder as to the milage I will monitor it over a day or two and let you know.

I might just give this a try, who knows what I might find.

On 19/06/2023 at 14:20, Radiogaga said:

Well I must say I am surprised did not think that such a small loss of refrigerant would make a difference, but the mpg now is in the low 40's, 42, 43 pleased I had it done and at mate rates!.

My diesel 2011 Skoda Octavia 1.6tdi at 110000 miles shows me up to an 'average' 76mpg on an easy levelish run in good weather !  (A3 in Surrey). Normally it gets around 60-65mpg and a bit less if loaded up and in winter and around 50+ for short trips near home.

These are 'averages' only set across driving conditions, load in the car and your right foot

My car had a new fuel pump and filter (Bosch) and new Glowplugs recently but that appears to have made mileage just a little better perhaps.

I'm pretty sure your Air Con needs power from the engineto operate which may reduce your mpg but honestly, with mine switched on I'm getting well over 60mpg on a good road.

(Maybe you could also check the fuel filter maybe which is sitting within easy reach on the left side as you open the bonnet under a bolted cover....its a cheap part to replace).

IMG_5748.jpeg

Yes it had the VW scandal emission retro ‘refit’…..curiosity asks why you reckon not?

…..but the car broke down some months after and had a new injector (no 1) at cost to Skoda…..no refund for work lost that day!

It would seem from another forum that fuel consumption was worse after The Fix, and only cured by going back to the original software - a difficult task.

My own non fixed car mirrors your consumption but I only get  over 70 mpg when on long summer journeys where most of the time I am forced to keep to ~50mph with no interuptions.

Yes, after the scandal broke there were some, myself to a degree, who didn’t really take to the fact of having to get the retro fit to be ‘cleaner’ meant having the car seen to. However, my car proves it’s okay.
My previous car was a petrol Astra 1.6 auto and that only returned 30-40 maximum on any run, so my theory is I’m using much less fuel and therefore I’m not as pollutant ! 
im very annoyed that overseas owners of VW, Skoda, Audi I believe have had payments made to them. I chased my local MP (Con…as in con!) who provided info saying the government were onto it. This has all gone very quiet now and methinks nothing will come of it.

You (and I) missed out on the payment of a couple of grand had you registered with the ambulance chasers, too late now.

Indeed they were, £2.6K rings a bell, I was as sick as a dog for having criticised others for signing up, more fool me.

Too late now.

17 hours ago, toot said:

The MP gets enough money &  their travel expenses paid they don't need a donation from you.

If you decided to live and buy your car in the UK and then never joined the case action you can hardly expect to cash in on VW Groups cheating.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/486766-anyone-making-a-new-claim-for-the-vw-emissions-dieselgate/page/2

You misunderstood me….from my earlier post in this thread I was not saying I would give my local MP a donation or pay his expenses. I stated that since the VW scam I had emailed his office demanding government action towards payouts….he told me the government where aware of and where dealing with the situation.

18 hours ago, J.R. said:

Indeed they were, £2.6K rings a bell, I was as sick as a dog for having criticised others for signing up, more fool me.

Too late now.

…..I hope people did get that amount but I’ve seen several people’s reports saying they received just £350 from that £2K + payout, adding they wonder if the ‘kindly’ lawyers have kept the rest!

@mydadscarI understood perfectly. I was joshing.

You misunderstood your MP maybe. 

Who was or is that MP?

Is it the Rachel  Maskell MP Labour? 

The Government did do something, they got £1 million or so off of VW towards testing cars coming into the UK, and then they failed to come up with the further £1/2 million or so.

The Transport Committee had in Paul Willis CEO of VW UK and some said he lied.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/business/volkswagens-boss-accused-telling-blatant-9858620

The Transport Minister at the time was made a Lord and the Chairman of the Conservative & Unionist party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_McLoughlin

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/434714-emmisions-fix-and-rip-off-britain/page/6

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/440141-credit-where-its-due

Edited by toot
  • Thanks 1

I think the Ambulance chasers fees were capped to a very (un) reasonable £600 or so per claim and the claimants recieved around £1.9K

You can google it for precise details.