Aero wheel trims

Advice to any owners of Fabia Mk4 (Colour edition). Recommend you remove the aero trims from your alloy wheels. A lot of owners do this because they don’t like the appearance of them, but I did it for another reason – it was impossible to properly clean the black alloys with them on. They prevent cleaning the inside of the rims and all the sides of the spokes. My car was only 6 months old when I bought it and when I took the trims off the inside of the alloys were covered in loads of black brake dust muck especially the front wheels. Took two buckets of car shampoo to get them all clean!  I bought and fitted the centre caps and I’ve got some black wheel nut covers on order, although the wheels look OK without them – I’ll see what they look like with them on. Planning to buy some black alloy wheel polish to make cleaning them easier. Any recommendations?  Anyone used Poorboy’s Wheel Sealant?   

PXL_20230617_162256695.jpg

I'm thinking of doing the same with my SEL. Had it for 6 months and the alloys are a pain to clean with those trims on. 

Could I ask where you ordered your centre caps from please? 

1 hour ago, JA1991 said:

I'm thinking of doing the same with my SEL. Had it for 6 months and the alloys are a pain to clean with those trims on. 

Could I ask where you ordered your centre caps from please? 

I got my centre caps from Amazon - the actual company was called Premium Sales who sell through Amazon. They cost £12.95.  they fit perfectly.

The wheel nut covers I've ordered also through Amazon - that company was called Partsdealers, but I see they are now "currently unavailable". They were quite expensive for what they are at £25.99. However, they are the genuine Soda ones. You can get  those covers a lot cheaper through ebay, but they are the more generic ones and some user reviews say they are sometimes not a good fit, so beware.  

Yep - with the covers on they make the alloys, as you say, a pain to clean. I'd say impossible as you just can't get to the inside rims. Over time all the brake dust gudge would probably ooze through the aero trims and stain the spokes. Not good. Obviously the guy who designed them has never cleaned alloy wheels !!    

• Like 1

Yep. I asked dealer to leave the trims in the boot and not to fit during PDI, now up in my loft in unopened wrapping bag. Whoever thought these were a good idea needs sacked, but probably something to do with improved aerodynamics!

Cost me less than 20 quid for the centre caps and wheel bolt head covers.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2023 at 20:11, john1952 said:

I got my centre caps from Amazon - the actual company was called Premium Sales who sell through Amazon. They cost £12.95.  they fit perfectly.

The wheel nut covers I've ordered also through Amazon - that company was called Partsdealers, but I see they are now "currently unavailable". They were quite expensive for what they are at £25.99. However, they are the genuine Soda ones. You can get  those covers a lot cheaper through ebay, but they are the more generic ones and some user reviews say they are sometimes not a good fit, so beware.  

Yep - with the covers on they make the alloys, as you say, a pain to clean. I'd say impossible as you just can't get to the inside rims. Over time all the brake dust gudge would probably ooze through the aero trims and stain the spokes. Not good. Obviously the guy who designed them has never cleaned alloy wheels !!    

Cheers mate.

I'll take a look!

Edited by JA1991

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2023 at 20:11, john1952 said:

Sorry, do you happen to have a link to the centre caps you ordered please? I've just got some but they're far too loose even though they were advertised as the correct size for my alloys? Thanks 

Hello,I bought my caps from my local skoda dealer,worked out at about £44 inc vat.Before fitting  measeured them and they were about 56mm across on the wheel aperature..Hope this helps Cheers Andy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JA1991 said:

Sorry, do you happen to have a link to the centre caps you ordered please? I've just got some but they're far too loose even though they were advertised as the correct size for my alloys? Thanks 

This is the link to the Amazon site where I got mine from - they are a good fit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IY7ZM1C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

5 minutes ago, john1952 said:

This is the link to the Amazon site where I got mine from - they are a good fit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IY7ZM1C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Cheers. 

Yeah they're the ones I got but via eBay (matches the same code printed on the inside). Just seem very very loose like they're going to fall out if I go above 5mph haha. Just out of interest did you have to use any tape to bulk them out a little? According to some of the reviews it looks like other owners have had to do the same? 

I've got the 16" Proxima alloys. 

31 minutes ago, Drewmac said:

Hello,I bought my caps from my local skoda dealer,worked out at about £44 inc vat.Before fitting  measeured them and they were about 56mm across on the wheel aperature..Hope this helps Cheers Andy

Thanks Andy. As I'm only toying round with the idea of removing the aero trims, I just wanted to have a go with some replica versions rather than having to spend money on originals. The replica ones were advertised as 56mm too but it looks like they're slightly under?

Might end up having to go with the ones you mentioned from Skoda-parts - which seem to be the cheapest around. 

Thanks again

23 minutes ago, Tintowellfan said:

Thanks. 

I've got those exact wheel nut covers and they fit perfectly! 

Those centre caps are the exact ones that I ordered, but they just don't seem to fit at all. As soon as I put them in they just wobble around, so definitely would end up falling out. 

Have you got the same alloys? Proxima 16"? 

Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong with the centre caps if everyone else is issue free? 

Cheers,

PXL_20230703_164456098.jpg

PXL_20230703_164447650.jpg

Yeah that's what I thought too. Unless I've been unlucky with a bad batch of centre caps? I'll give the link that you sent a go and see it they're any better🤞

2 hours ago, JA1991 said:

Cheers. 

Yeah they're the ones I got but via eBay (matches the same code printed on the inside). Just seem very very loose like they're going to fall out if I go above 5mph haha. Just out of interest did you have to use any tape to bulk them out a little? According to some of the reviews it looks like other owners have had to do the same? 

I've got the 16" Proxima alloys. 

Thanks Andy. As I'm only toying round with the idea of removing the aero trims, I just wanted to have a go with some replica versions rather than having to spend money on originals. The replica ones were advertised as 56mm too but it looks like they're slightly under?

Might end up having to go with the ones you mentioned from Skoda-parts - which seem to be the cheapest around. 

Thanks again

Maybe the ones youv'e got a just a bad batch ??  The ones I got from Amazon fit perfectly - nice firm fit

On 03/07/2023 at 18:42, john1952 said:

Maybe the ones youv'e got a just a bad batch ??  The ones I got from Amazon fit perfectly - nice firm fit

Ah great thanks. I'll place an order via Amazon then and send these ones back 🤞🏻

• 3 months later...

Hi . I followed your advise and got center caps from Amazon and suggested nut covers from eBay and now my wheels look fantastic. There silver not black as it's an Sel. I was going to remove them even before I bought the car.so glad I did. Thank you for giving me the confidence to go for it.

3 hours ago, Scorpiodan said:

Hi . I followed your advise and got center caps from Amazon and suggested nut covers from eBay and now my wheels look fantastic. There silver not black as it's an Sel. I was going to remove them even before I bought the car.so glad I did. Thank you for giving me the confidence to go for it.

Glad you are pleased with the result. I didn't realise that these trims were also fitted to the SEL model with silver wheels/trims. I've got the Colour edition which are black. You'll be able to clean your alloys so much more effectively and not have loads of brake dust  accumulate in areas which are inaccessible with the trims on. 

Hi John 1952.

Yes they were pretty black with brake dust.

I just think they look so much better. I know they are to ment to be more efficient but the car is so good on petrol I don't think it's going to make that much difference in the real world. My wheels are proxima alloy's,why cover them up. 

20231025_170826_072320.jpg

Edited by DeanVRS20VT