2016 Skoda Fabia No start, any help appreciated!

Hi there

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with a 2016 Skoda Fabia Mk3, Petrol, Auto.

It has developed an intermittent starting fault, which to begin with, after 5/6 cycles of switching ignition on and off, engine would start. When the starter did turn the engine over, the turn over was nice and quick, with none of the sluggishness that you would expect from a dying battery.  Anyway the issue became more frequent so I initially- 

-Removed starter, checked pinion, cleaned , checked connections and refitted.

After this, car worked perfectly for two days. On the third day, the intermittent starter fault began again so-

- I fitted new starter motor. 

Fault is now persistent, only get solenoid click, no turn over.

SO! Next, fitted new battery.

No change. Used OBD scanner, only code present was - 5456-P3054 Starter Will Not Turn : Jammed Or Electrical Malfunction. ( This code was present before I fitted new battery and starter motor)

Any ideas?

Just to confuse things, a few months ago, the car threw up the fault -  "Error: workshop! Only leave vehicle in Position P "

This was fault was occurring intermittently, regardless of position of the gear selector, and apparently is caused by the switch in the 'P' position failing. This error hasn't occurred for some time, but I am now wondering if the switch has finally failed...

Thanks in advance for any info anyone might have!

Hi, welcome.

3 minutes ago, DavisChip said:

Just to confuse things, a few months ago, the car threw up the fault -  "Error: workshop! Only leave vehicle in Position P "

Lots of info on here about that but @toot will be along to give you more details and links.

Is your scanner specific to VW for diagnosis and did you 'code' the new battery (if not almost exact like-for-like change).

Hi there

Thanks for your reply.

I used a Snap On Verus Scanner, getting a bit old now but seems to still be able to read fault codes on most cars...

I did not code the new battery - it was start/stop certified, and as I recall had same code and CCA, will double check this when Im home!

I'm starting to wonder if the Workshop Error Position P could be less related, I cant seem to find anything online about this ultimately resulting in no start!

Cheers

As long as the Snap-On covers Fabia Mk3 specifically rather than just generically and is up to date it should give good error codes and diagnostics for your car I guess (don't know).

The battery won't be causing your current issue just to check it doesn't cause any in future, for 'coding' the battery the type, Ah and serial number change (by one digit is fine) are the important elements, see here for more info. - VCDS How to adapt a new battery.pdf

Sorry I can't remember the details of position P but @toot will know, might have been a Recall or fix kit, I forget.

Have you done a multimeter or scanner diagnostics from battery through to starter motor connections but then there's loads of stuff that could potentially be in the physical systems and VW's complex computer programs that could prevent engine fire-up, even if you only have the one error code a full scanner read out report can be useful but you probably already have the two points to start from.

Have you checked if there are any admitted Recalls for your car or more secret technical bulletins (TPIs? I forget the jargon/name), admitted Recalls from here. - https://www.skoda-auto.com/services/recall-campaigns

Edited by nta16
spelling
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to repeat Voltage drop tests on the supply to starter and the earths this evening.

It is bugging me that I cant seem to find anyone with the gear selector switch fault whose car has also ended up with a no crank no start issue.

But perhaps I should rectify this as I know that the car had this fault - shame the kit is £100 to rectify the issue with a tiny microswitch!

I might be wrong as my memory's not the best and I have enough potential (and past) VW woes with my wife's car not to follow the various ones on VW auto boxes as my wife's car is a 5-speed manual, thank gawd, but I might have seen someone made up their own kit, or it might have been for a different issue or I'm on Fantasy Island again.

If you could do a temporary repair or bridge it out or whatever so that the computer programs are happy in case it has some knock effect and I'd always clear any codes before trying to start the car again just in case as with somethings and/or scanner perhaps the VW programs seem to take some convincing that things are sorted, first few tries might not stick, though I'm sure others might disagree with me on this. 😄

ETA: I see toot has bumped the P (you off) position for the Fabia autobox thread.

Edited by nta16
ETA: