How To Fix Guide - Intermittent Or Phantom Steering Wheel Controls

Thanks for a great guide! I have had problems with my right navigation wheel for a long time and opened the wheel up a couple of days ago and cleaned it. In my case it wasn't enough, one/some of the six solder points had come loose so I had to re-solder them so now it works again almost completely without problems, at least much better than before!

Edited by wertok

Why the need to remove the upper steering cowl?

I can release the airbag on my car without disturbing it and it looks to be still in place in your photo.

Scrub that, the photo shows the top of the steering wheel boss and not the cowl but I still cant see what its removal aids, perhaps the airbag clips are different, on mine I have to push in a short screwdriver or drift in line with the steering column axis short enough to not hit the instrument glass (plastic!)

Great guide which should save people loads of grief and money.

Edited by J.R.
  • Love it! 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Why the need to remove the upper steering cowl?

I can release the airbag on my car without disturbing it and it looks to be still in place in your photo.

Scrub that, the photo shows the top of the steering wheel boss and not the cowl but I still cant see what its removal aids, perhaps the airbag clips are different, on mine I have to push in a short screwdriver or drift in line with the steering column axis short enough to not hit the instrument glass (plastic!)

Great guide which should save people loads of grief and money.

Removing the upper cowl is just to give a bit more space and prevent scratching any trim. I think you are right about being able to do it without removing, but for the extra 10 seconds if seems worth it to me :) 

• Like 3