Cracked DSG Gearbox - quoted £7k for repair!!!

Had a gearbox failure the other day and the local independent garage has found a major crack in the gearbox housing.

They have quoted me just over £7 for a new gearbox (fitted).

Although the car has only 38,500 miles, it seems that this same local independent garage did not do the DSG oil change at the four year mark (they have been servicing the car since the 4 year mark).

Any advice?

Are Skoda UK likely to offer any assistance?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, sdb said:

They have quoted me just over £7 for a new gearbox (fitted).

Bite their hand off!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Bite their hand off!

Ah, yes!  It should be £7k - how do I edit the OP?

@sdb So we have a long story shortened.  More info needed.

You say an Independent garage.

Even out of Warranty you want an Authorised VW Group technician checking the gearbox, maybe Skoda / VW involved in having the gearbox tested / examined.

Lets get the whole story please.

There is no DSG with a 4 year Oil Service.

(The Skoda chart i am showing below is wrong in showing 4 years unless by chance that is 40,000 miles by then.)

There is a 40,000 mile service with a DQ250, and a 80,000 miles with a DQ381.

?

So how or why is there a major crack in the gearbox?

Has the car been in an accident? 

WHAT WET CLUTCH DSG IS FITTED, IS IT 6 SPEED DRY, DQ250 OR A 7 SPEED WET, DQ381?

I have a post where i compiled DQ381,s with issues as posted on Briskoda.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/514323-which-dsg-gearbox-is-fitted-to-a-2020-model-year-superb-sportline-plus-280

This is about a DQ200.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/513192-dsg-repair-costs-should-skoda-pay

645775003_GearboxServiceIntervals.jpg.54aeffb010ab8f9136848b1b60015c1d.jpg

682705526_Screenshot2022-12-2814_19_08.jpg.78ff58aa98148fef13de43ebddc9f954.jpg

1179912860_922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736(1).jpg.606196879c2532f67305f1ec411800c6.jpg

1624336521_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.3c042b3d60ff4f7eed63333aeb416947.webp

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

Thanks for these details Toot.  I had been looking at https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/servicing-maintenance-fixed-price where I saw the 4 year interval - but you say that is wrong.

How do I identify which gearbox I have?  The car is a Superb Estate SE L 2.0 TDi DSG 150PS / 67 plate

It has 7 gears.

>>>So how or why is there a major crack in the gearbox?

The garage says someting has come loose inside and cracked the housing.

>>>Has the car been in an accident?

No.  It made a brief clanking noise as I pulled away from the the drive on Thu, then, about 100 miles later stopped dead on Sunday with "Gearbox has entered emergency mode: Reverse gear not available".

In fact, no gears were available and the gearbox oil was spread across the road.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, toot said:

Even out of Warranty you want an Authorised VW Group technician checking the gearbox, maybe Skoda / VW involved in having the gearbox tested / examined.

Would it make any difference considering that there is a massive and unrepairable crack in the housing?

It is a DQ381 with a Service Schedule, guidelines, recommendations or specification of 80,000 mile oil changes.

So not out of service interval.

The Link i posted to a thread has my post with the sorry tale of failures people are having from various threads.  Get in touch with SKODA UK. 

Screenshot 2023-07-05 11.56.03.png

Screenshot 2023-07-05 12.01.22.png

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

Just to confirm the above, DSG boxes are on mileage service regime and not time.  So yours is 80k miles.  The table in your link is 8 yrs or 80k (or the 4 yrs/40k as as you read which is for the other box type).  It's not fair to expect the general public to understand which figure to choose.

• Like 1

Got any photos of this massive crack?

Be interesting to see what has failed to cause the casing to crack.

(if it’s the mounts for the dog bone that cracked/snapped then this is an issue that happens when people don’t replace the bolts after removing them and instead reuse the stretch bolt and they work themselves loose)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, toot said:

Get in touch with SKODA UK. 

Why would they be even the slightest bit interested in a fault on a 7 year old vehicle?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/507986-top-motor-mount

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/504536-slight-noise-acceleration-and-turning-left

@J.R.they might have no interest in a fault.  But then that is just how they are.

A crack is a major failure and that is 7 years since Skoda started using the DQ381,s

Maybe just a one off, nothing to bother about, certainly not in the UK where VW Group can do as they please.

In other world regions where there are a growing number of issues with MCU then that will bite them in the bum, and if there are issues with casings then they maybe want to pay attention. 

Australians Authorities can really tear them a new one because VW groups failures have been ongoing now for over a decade with DQ200 DSG. 

Edited by toot

It it takes is a bit of bad press and suddenly a manufacturer gets interested. Say any of the tv/newspaper or motoring consumer type things.

If only everything was built like a golf…

I’ll let you finish with the comedy follow on.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ApertureS said:

(if it’s the mounts for the dog bone that cracked/snapped then this is an issue that happens when people don’t replace the bolts after removing them and instead reuse the stretch bolt and they work themselves loose)

Careful now, you'll be accused of being a newbie and not knowing what you are talking about.....

• Haha 3