Fabia MK1 ABS Pump - Where to buy recon or new?

My trusty 2007 1.4l diesel Bohemia has presented the ABS warning light, and oil light flashing. I have had the VCDS reading done by a friendly Briskodan, and unsurprisingly it showed ABS pump fault. Have checked the fuses, and all look good, so I think I need a replacement ABS pump, or reconditioning of the current one. The garage have also diagnosed the ABS pump.

I have tried emailing Coverdale at the Hotmail address, but no response. I can see second hand ones on Ebay, but I am a bit lary about putting a 20 year old part into the car, considering I will be paying the garage for 3 hours of labour for the swap.

Does anyone know of a good place to get the reconditioning done, or to buy a replacement? Google isn't helping.

In other news, I also need to buy a window regulator for the passenger side, but I can't see any that include the speaker. Any tips on that welcome.

46 minutes ago, lopas said:

In other news, I also need to buy a window regulator for the passenger side, but I can't see any that include the speaker. Any tips on that welcome.

You have to swap your existing speaker to the new regulator panel as new ones don't come with speakers. There are four pop rivets holding the speaker to the panel & ten rivets (bolts were used on early models) holding the panel to the door. These have to be drilled out and new rivets fitted. Suitable short nuts and bolts can be used for the speaker instead of rivets if preferred - they must be short enough for the glass not to catch on them.

Speaker rivets: Size 4.8x15mm. Part number N90765701

Door panel rivets: Size 6.4x10mm. Part number N91078801

• Like 1

@Breezy_Pete Thanks for helping with this. Sorry, 'Oil light flashing' was an autocorrect typo. It's a red flashing exclamation mark, supposedly telling me there's a problem with the brake fluid, but all seems good on that front. All brakes seem fine.

We checked the fuses when I got the VCDS reading, but I have got them out again to photograph.

Fuse in cabin below, and the wiring to the ones on the battery. I'll do a post below with the rest.

IMG_20230707_211314[1].jpg

IMG_20230707_211349[1].jpg

IMG_20230707_212457[1].jpg

12 minutes ago, lopas said:

@TMB HatBoyHarvey on YT makes it look easy, but maybe he's already replaced the rivets on his door.

That's because his Fabia is an earlier model and has bolts holding the panel to the door instead of pop rivets.

You need to look at the big strip fuses on top of the battery. Post a photo here if possible.

These....

image1-thumb-JPG-d848af67eb9cd9929fb70c8

Edited by TMB

@TMB Thanks for 'upgrading' to rivets, Skoda! The reason the regulator is knackered is a bodge job on window replacement from National subcontractor, when the passenger side window was bricked, along with all the other cars on the street I had parked on. Lesson learned - do not park opposite a building site when there are kids around!

Here's a photo of those ones. Hopefully everything is visible, despite the flash.

IMG_20230707_221557[1].jpg

Rain has interfered with plans today, but I managed to get out during a break and loosened the nuts on that strip fuse. It is definitely in two parts!

Will any VW 40A strip fuse work as a replacement?

• Like 2

Part number of a genuine VW-group one is N 104 249 02.

There ought to be one available at any group dealership I would hope.  Near-faintworthy £6.63 + VAT each currently though! 😮

Just now, lopas said:

Yes, exactly.

• Like 1

I switched the broken fuse with a 40A from Halfords, warning lights are still on, so I guess another trip to the friendly VCDS person is in order?

The product code for the Halfords part was FUSE 298, which is apparently the same as FUSE 133. They are in the process of changing product codes. FYI

22 hours ago, lopas said:

Thanks for 'upgrading' to rivets, Skoda!

Penny-pinching/quicker to install on the production line is my theory. The buggers 🙄

• Groan 1

On 08/07/2023 at 16:39, Breezy_Pete said:

Drive the car a few metres and the warnings will magically disappear.  :thumbup:

Ha ha! Yes! Many thanks to you both! 

Hopefully I won't ever have to actually replace the ABS pump, as they are not easy to find!

Looking forward to telling the garage the good news, he's always sceptical about getting help from people via the Internet.

Window regulator next. I think I'll get someone to help with the drilling, as I'm not supposed to do any thing as recovering from an operation.

Do I need high speed steel bits to get the rivets out? 

44 minutes ago, lopas said:

Do I need high speed steel bits to get the rivets out? 

The rivets are just aluminium, so most metal drills will do it.

• Like 1

I am not near Oxfordshire, I am in Yorkshire, thanks. I have a handy man neighbour who I can get to help me. He's relatively cheap, and does upkeep on his ageing VW Polo. Admittedly, he's driving around with most of the driver's side trim in a box on the back seat, but at least his clutch is working!

Sorry, I have another question. As far as I can tell, the regulator that is currently on the passenger side has a working motor, but either the cable is wound wrong, or snapped, as the glass doesn't move up, and appears not to have both supports.

On Ebay I can see a second hand regulator with motor at £72, and new ones without motor from £25 to £50. Any advice on which would be best is appreciated. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=skoda+fabia+mk1+window+regulator&_sacat=0

5 minutes ago, lopas said:

Sorry, I have another question. As far as I can tell, the regulator that is currently on the passenger side has a working motor, but either the cable is wound wrong, or snapped, as the glass doesn't move up, and appears not to have both supports.

On Ebay I can see a second hand regulator with motor at £72, and new ones without motor from £25 to £50. Any advice on which would be best is appreciated. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=skoda+fabia+mk1+window+regulator&_sacat=0

Just take the motor from the old regulator to the new one.

I paid £35 for a replacement regulator for the driver's side, and just swapped the panels and fitted my old (technically refurb as it was provided by Pete's excellent refurb/repair services) motor to the panel.

• Like 1

Be aware that the window motors changed (incompatibly) at the time of the Mk1 facelift (mid-2004, I think) so not all 2nd hand regs with motor would suit your car. Pre-facelift the motor part number begins with 6Q, post-facelift with 6Y. 

As said, better to get a new reg and swap your motor over. May even be worth fitting a new lock module while the reg is off, if thought to be the factory original. I wouldn't bother if panel was bolted, but rivetted ones are such a faff it's certainly worth thinking about.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

but rivetted ones are such a faff it's certainly worth thinking about.

Drilled mine out, and used push in thingies that allowed for a screw thread... I completely forget the name of em.